1.4 ghz Xbox arrived....showing christmas lights >.<

Archive

Post by Archive » June 26th, 2019, 7:55 pm

posted by gelberhase on Mar 18, 2011:

Hi,
I know I am impatient, but today I picked up my new 1.4 ghz Xbox (made by trusty, but not bought from him!).

I changed the PSU (US->EU) and tried it and it gave me the well known christmas lights after trying to boot 3 times.

at first I thought it would just be the CPU/CPU adapter that got loose, actually it was but even after getting this fixed it gave me christmas lights.

After that I found a broken Capacitor and all the Acid is all over the board in a radius of about an inch.

I took it to the local electric shop guy, he told me to come back on tuesday, he is going to change that Cap (didn´t want to do it myself on such exclusive/expensive Hardware).

is there any chance of getting this thing to work again with just replacing the Cap and cleaning the board?
Or could there may be more damge caused by the Acid?

It was insured so money ain´t the problem but I would still like to know....

it´s the Cap in the lower left corner with the blue mark on it (this Picture was taken by the seller! actually this blue dot makes it look suspicious.....)

thanks for (hopefully) keeping me from freaking out that it doesn´t work after waiting one month -.-

-Toby

Archive

posted by ASSEMbler on Mar 18, 2011:

Generally xbox hardware is pretty robust, so that should do it.

Archive

posted by jinn on Mar 18, 2011:

are you sure you are using a V1.2-1.5 PSU and not a V1.6.
I know he TSOP flash the board. You might want to try an install a duoX2 GS to rule out a BAD TSOP.

Archive

posted by gelberhase on Mar 18, 2011:

Actually I´m using one of these all-xbox-compatible- PSU`s and yes, I did test it in another Xbox before and it works (yes, I used the right plug...I pretty much triple checked every plug and stuff).

I do actually think that it really just is the Cap and I do hope that the electrolyt didn´t do any more damage to other parts....
If this won´t work, I do have a Xecuter3 on the way....

*fingers crossed that this baby will be working again*

Archive

posted by APE on Mar 18, 2011:

Probably more likely the TSOP flash was bad and a chip will fix it. Have yet to see an XBox that FRAGs and can't be fixed with a modchip.

Archive

posted by gelberhase on Mar 19, 2011:

ok, I already got the board back, as it should work without the Cap (it´s only there to save the time for some minutes if the Xbox is unplugged)
didn´t test it yet though.

BTW: I received another Xbox that has the exact same thing.....it did leak, but this one is still "working" (gives me error code 5 w/ green/orange)

Archive

posted by APE on Mar 19, 2011:

gelberhase said:

ok, I already got the board back, as it should work without the Cap (it´s only there to save the time for some minutes if the Xbox is unplugged)
didn´t test it yet though.

BTW: I received another Xbox that has the exact same thing.....it did leak, but this one is still "working" (gives me error code 5 w/ green/orange)

I'm not positive but that cap might have something to do with the RTC. IIRC from Bunny's work he found that it doesn't use a battery (as you never see one do you?) but some sort of super capacitor that lasts a few days or so at best. I wouldn't be surprised if this is the case.

As for your new XBox:

5 - kernel - HDD not locked (The retail xbox bioses require the hd to be locked)

Sounds like someone might have botched a softmod attempt or the harddrive has died without informing it's controller board. Modchip will fix it nicely and if you REALLY want you can dump the EEPROM, find a compatible unlocked HDD (I think I've got a seagate or two around here for example) and lock it with the XBox's HDD key from the EEPROM dump you have. Then you can pull the chip out and have what amounts to a retail XBox or TSOP flash it if thats your bag.

Making me tempted to check out my XBox stash to see if that cap has leaked on mine. Though none of mine have problems with booting at this point (both are chipped).

Archive

posted by gelberhase on Apr 25, 2011:

Hi,
the new one already works, he just kinda fucked up the X3 in it, I had to flash a new Bios on it.

I will just check the trusty box, replace the thermal paste and then I will give it a try if everything seems to be ok...

EDIT:
nevermind, it does work now (without the Cap) so the elecrolyte was the reason.
It does work with booting from the EEPRROM (has a Xecuter 2 Bios)
and with the Xecuter 3^^

Finally^^

Archive

posted by jinn on Mar 20, 2011:

Great News. Now all you need is a 2TB HDD.

Archive

posted by gelberhase on Mar 20, 2011:

it already has a 500 gig, that should last for some time (my other 2 Xbox´s have only 80 gig Image)