Zelda:OOT Pal Europe Gold cart

Archive

Post by Archive » June 28th, 2019, 7:07 am

posted by mooseblaster on Aug 28, 2006:

Really.

Makes you wish you'd picked one up, doesn't it?

Archive

posted by hl718 on Aug 29, 2006:

That's because people liked the gold carts as they looked cooler. Image

Remember "rare" does not always mean "in demand."

To use a current example, some of the rarest PSX games aren't worth shit, while discs that are much more common sell more much more money.

-hl718

Archive

posted by Mark30001 on Aug 29, 2006:

mooseblaster said:

Really.

Makes you wish you'd picked one up, doesn't it?

Lol, why, since the ebay value is lesser? :110:

Archive

posted by TransatlanticFoe on Mar 28, 2007:

mooseblaster said:

Oh for the love of all things shiny! Image

OK: NES Legend of Zelda and Adventures of Link carts were first released in GOLD. 99% of homes had GOLD cartridges.

Later, they were re-released as a form of 'Best Seller' cartridge that was GREY (or GRAY if you're American).

I repeat: The first release cartridges were GOLD, the later release was GREY.

The Grey ones are far, far rarer than the Gold carts; however due to many believing that the Gold carts are rarer, the eBay value of a Gold cart is often greater than that of a rarer grey cart.

First of all, are you referring to PAL carts or American carts?

In the U.S., the "rarest" version of OOT is by far the grey carts of version 1.0 of OOT. MOST versions of 1.0 are gold carts, but there some grey carts of V 1.0 floating around out there (it should be noted that if it's a gold cart, it's always ONLY V1.0). As some of you already know. 1.0 had the infamous swordless Link glitch, the original Fire Temple chant, and Gannodorf's red blood (which was still present in V 1.1). Actually, the only thing different from 1.0 and 1.1 is the way you perfrom the swordless Link glitch.

The swordless Link glitch also worked in later versions (including the GC releases), but it had to be performed in a different manner than that of V 1.0 (in which you save and quit the game after Ganon knocks the Master Sword from you're hand, followed by reseting your system, where you start back in Ganon's Castle with the Master Sword missing from you're B button). Also, Ganon's red blood was present in V 1.1, but was changed to green in V 1.2 and the later GC releases.

Sorry for getting off topic there....Anyway, so 1.0 grey carts are the rarest of the rare as far as OOT NTSC carts are concerned. Only downfall to this is that you have to actually play the game to find out which version it is (unless it's gold, which are always 1.0). Lucky for me, i'm currently working at used record/music/game store, and we get OOT grey carts in quite often...

Archive

posted by TransatlanticFoe on Mar 28, 2007:

mooseblaster said:

Three things:

1) This topic is 7 months old. Please don't dredge it up for no raisin(sic).

2) If you hadn't noticed - what you quoted there was a discussion about the *NES* 'The Legend of Zelda' and 'Zelda II: The Adventure of Link'. This was not about OOT.

3) The subject of the topic - and indeed much of the discussion - relates to the European Gold Cart (which is fairly rare), which is often confused with the Australian Gold Cart due to Australia also having PAL cartridges.

Whilst your discussion about how to spot a v1.1 US OOT cart was interesting, it alas was not about the topic in question. Clear? Good. Image

I was well aware of how old the topic was, but I should have noticed what game's you were referring to. Woops:banghead:

Archive

posted by retro on Mar 28, 2007:

Wow, one relative noob belittling another. Nice! Mooseblaster, before you start laying the law on what people can and can't do on the forums, perhaps you would like to consider contributing to the community a little more, and with a nicer attitude? Your 1 post a week average is hardly stunning really, is it?

Anyway, back to the topic (which, as with any topic on the board, can justifiably be dredged back up - and I thank TF for his input which was indeed interesting).....

Gold PAL cartridges were NOT available in the UK on release. Well, actually, yes they were - some distributors imported the Australian cartridge to be sold over here. There wasn't an official UK release other than the grey cartridge. I have one of the first UK copies, and the only one offered by THE (official Nintendo distributor in the UK at the time) to our shop, or any shop, was grey.

Archive

posted by mooseblaster on Mar 29, 2007:

Sorry, I didn't mean to belittle. I wasn't trying to lay down whatever law of the land. In fact, reading it back it looks a lot more horrific than the style I intended it to be.

Oh, and retro: I'll try to contribute to the community as much as I can. I'm fairly new when it comes to collecting (was fairly late into the console scene, and so have a lot of catching up to do) but I try my best to give as much as I know. Also, I strangely feel like I've been here forever (I must have been a lurker in a previous life methinks, or perhaps I rejoined with a new name... I dunno).

One day, I'll make my killer contribution. Until then, I'll embark on light conversation.

*wanders off and hides in a corner*

Archive

posted by TransatlanticFoe on Apr 2, 2007:

For anyone that's interested, I stumbled upon this FAQ that is VERY useful in explaining the differences of each version of OOT, as well as how to watch out for them.

http://www.gamefaqs.com/console/n64/file/197771/46380

And for those that are lazy, here is a piece from the FAQ that explains how to look out for each version

"*Note* This only applies to NTSC (North American) copies of the N64 cart. If
you have a PAL copy (Europe or Australia) then you have V1.2, as PAL is exactly
the same as NTSC V1.2.

The simplest way to determine what version you have is to look at the cart. On
the front sticker, at the bottom, in the center, is a two lined code. The
bottom line of this code differs between V1.0, V1.1 and V1.2. Here's what the
code is for each version.

V1.0: NUS-CZGE-USA

V1.1: NUS-CZLE-USA

V1.2: NUS-CZLE-USA (01)

***IMPORTANT NOTE***
If you have a gold cart, and it's an NTSC one, then it is DEFINITELY V1.0. If
you have a PAL Australian one, despite it being gold, it is the same as V1.2,
and is NOT V1.0.

Archive

posted by retro on Apr 3, 2007:

Hehe, np moose - I'm sure many of us have lurked before taking the plunge and joining in ;-) And there's no such thing as too new a collector - everyone is welcome! Some wouldn't even consider themselves collectors, they just enjoy talking games. As wit h TransatlanticFoe, you never know when someone is going to volunteer some interesting tidbit, no matter how new they are! Thanks for that TF, by the way - again very interesting Image

Archive

posted by TransatlanticFoe on Apr 4, 2007:

Thanks Retro.

I figure that if somebody has something useful to provide to a topic, it's irrelavent HOW old it is.