Zelda

Archive

Zelda

Post by Archive » June 28th, 2019, 7:07 am

posted by HCK on Aug 2, 2011:

When I was a kid, I loved the original Zelda and Zelda II (even thought I couldn't beat it). They really captured the spirit of adventure and exploration for me.

I never really played through SNES Zelda, but I appreciated it and always planned to play through it at some point. The closest I've been so far is like 85% complete.

Got N64 Zelda and ate it up... barreled my way through it. By this time I was in college, and I even skipped classes until I finished it.

After beating that first N64 Zelda, my love for the series has slowly drained.

Maybe it was the decidedly unclimactic, total let down of an ending Oot had... Gannon was so easy to beat, and the game ended so quickly after that I relayed the last part several times because I was sure I had missed something and gotten a "bad" ending.

Majora's Mask I put down after 30 minutes of play. I felt insulted that Nintendo thought I would enjoy repeating the same tasks over and over again within a narrow time limit. I think I literally said "what is this shit?"

Twilight Princess I started while deployed in Iraq. I got up to rescuing the Zoras when someone accidentally erased my game, and I never felt the need to play it again. Hated the Wii controls. (I don't need to pretend to swing a sword in my living room. I'm not 4.)

Now I've embarked on Twilight Princess for the Game Cube. I'm just a little farther than I was before. I just freed the castle area and began to learn my third special skill, when I realized that I didn't give a shit about it. Not because varied attacks aren't cool... they are. But I realized I didn't care because Zelda doesn't have a combat system built around skill. It's built around mindlessly whacking a button until everyone's dead. There are no epic sword battles. There's no great enemy AI that you have to outsmart, where you'd say "Thank God I learned Skill #14, or I'd be shit out of luck!" No, they put that stuff in to make it seem like the battle system is something special.

It's the same with the side quests. They're there to fill space and waste time. They add nothing to the story. Nintendo wants to lengthen the playing experience so they throw in crap, just like adding soy to meat; Zelda has become one big Nintendo hotdog.

That's my thoughts. What are yours?Image

Archive

Zelda

posted by ROB FURY on Aug 2, 2011:

I like what you said about the combat system not being very deep but would what would be a good way to remedy that? It may be cool if Zelda returned to 2D for the fights only.
Or how about a way to level up the weapons to give it a more RPG-like battle system?

Archive

Zelda

posted by Jamtex on Aug 2, 2011:

Personally, although I can recognise the fact that Zelda is a ground breaking game, I personally can't stand it, was much more a Wonderboy Monster Land / World person.

Archive

Zelda

posted by MottZilla on Aug 2, 2011:

You should play the GameBoy and GameBoy Color Zelda games if you want something you will enjoy. Atleast the first GB game. I think the two GBC games are supposed to be pretty good.

Archive

Zelda

posted by Rogue on Aug 2, 2011:

Well, I really thought it was easy for a reason, I mean, for "kids"? No?

That does not diminish my enjoyment, though.

Archive

Zelda

posted by cabbage on Aug 2, 2011:

I think I've pretty much given up on the Zelda series now ... which is sad, because I played the hell out of the NES, SNES, and GB ones. It seems to me that they are still riding on the success of the older games without any improvement on the experience. They're just more run-of-the-mill action adventure games these days Image oh well, that seems to be the case with a lot of series; no reason to expect more from the new games just because they have the word Zelda slapped on and some fairies thrown in or whatever.

Archive

Zelda

posted by APE on Aug 2, 2011:

I've only ever played OoT very much and never to completion. Last time I got through the game until the water temple and my asshole of a brother finished it from there without asking.

Played quite a bit of MM, some Phantom Hourglass but that has been it. Have mild interest in all of them but I never could really navigate the 2D games well.

Archive

Zelda

posted by HCK on Aug 3, 2011:

I think another way they've cheapened the series is with the introduction of heart container shards. You have to find five of them to get a new heart container, therefore there are more things to look for, therefor the game is longer.

This pretty much sums it up:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bbUqEPUZ-ds

Archive

Zelda

posted by karsten on Aug 3, 2011:

i think the second games was the one i liked the most followed by the snes one. and i guess i'm the only one in the world Image

Archive

Zelda

posted by rika_chou on Aug 3, 2011:

You should really give Majora's Mask another chance. Once you get used to the whole three day time thing, it's really a great game.

You didn't mention Wind Waker...now that is a boring game. It has it's moments, and graphics are great, but the sailing slows the game so much to the point where it feels like a chore to play it.