Zilog's Lame-Tastic Collection (update: Nintendo Cards!)

Archive

Post by Archive » June 28th, 2019, 7:12 am

posted by Zilog Jones on Jan 1, 2005:

WolverineDK said:

other than that it is just the danish text and the likes and a normal pal game

Do you mean text in the game, or just the manual?

but back in the old SNES games the english(british) pal games was a nogo for us danes (and maybe others ?) because of a frequency difference

Couldn't have been a frequency difference. Using a SNES console from the British Isles in Denmark with the RF cable wouldn't have worked... well it would have worked - you just wouldn't have got any sound (it's because you use PAL B/G and we use PAL I - the audio subcarriers are different, but AV connections are identical). But besides RF modulators the consoles and game regions are the same, from what I know. I dunno, myabe the SNES was just screwy Image

You spent $45 on Golden Sun?? In America, almost every GBA game is around $30.

Welcome to Ireland, where VAT is 21% (Value-Added Tax - I don't know if you even have that in the US) and everything's a complete rip-off! And in today's exchange rates (I know the Euro and US$ were pretty much equal in 2002), 45 Euro = US$61!! I think new GBA games are €30-35 now, though... well I hope they are!

Archive

posted by Alien Workshop on Jan 1, 2005:

Nice collection :smt023 I like your Sinclair mod :-D

Archive

posted by nem on Jan 1, 2005:

Zilog Jones said:

Welcome to Ireland, where VAT is 21% (Value-Added Tax - I don't know if you even have that in the US) and everything's a complete rip-off!

Pfffft, quit your whining. It's 22% here ;-)

Archive

posted by AntiPasta on Jan 1, 2005:

GBA games are 45-50e here :smt067

Archive

posted by WolverineDK on Jan 2, 2005:

Zilog Jones:

the manual

not the game, scary thought :smt009

(but the two disney games were translated completely)

Archive

posted by retro on Jan 2, 2005:

Is that an RGB SCART lead for the +2A? Should work fine... just be careful on the old volume control on the TV!!

Does the +2A not have a tape socket on the back for an external player? I know the +3 does, and the +2A is more a +3 than a +2, but either the +2 or the +2A had the facility for an external drive, I believe.

As for the MS, umm you'd probably be better off buying an original Master System! I think it does RGB. And of course, you can play card games (and hence use the goggles), and doesn't it have a pause switch that the mk2 doesn't? lol.

Archive

posted by Zilog Jones on Jan 3, 2005:

The RGB output of the +2A looks really weird though - it looks like the colour's overdriven or something. If there's one bright dominating colour on the screen it seems to go into everything else as well. Maybe I just did it wrong.

The +2A appears to have a tape socket, but it doesn't want to load anything from it - the border won't even go red (like it does when even turn the built-in tape deck on, never mind playing anything) or anything no matter what the volume is.

I'm not too bothered about the SMS - I'm not really interested in the system enough to spend money on another console - my one was free! And the SMSII does have a pause button too - look above the power switch in the bottom left corner.

Archive

posted by retro on Jan 3, 2005:

I'll dig out my +2A manual, but I think the cassette port is the same as the +3:

To connect your cassette unit to the +3, you will require a suitable
interconnecting lead, wired as follows...

Code:
To connect your cassette unit to the +3, you will require a suitable
interconnecting lead, wired as follows...

TAPE/SOUND socket on the +3 Cassette unit

To EAR socket
Input ___
(EAR) __ / |____
| / _| |____()
| ___ / / \___|
___ _ v | --_ / /
Input (EAR) \/ | | _ _____| -.------------' /
| | ()[_[_____| |-------------<
Output (MIC) _/\ |_| ^ | | _-^------------. \ To MIC socket
| | | |___-- \ \ ___
GND (common) _______| | | \ \_ / |____
Output GND \__| |____()
(MIC) (common) \___|

(red)

as for bleeding, that's Spectrums for ya! Still, I'll take a look and see if you might have missed something out.

Archive

posted by Zilog Jones on Jan 4, 2005:

Yeah, that's what I tried before but it did nothing. Maybe it's b0rked or something. I should point out that there was an astonishing amount of sand in the Speccy when I got it, which was also why I got it for free!

Archive

posted by Zilog Jones on Jan 8, 2005:

I forgot about the one truly crazy thing I do have: some Nintendo playing cards!

As you can see it's not exactly mint condition - I must have been 6 or 7 when I got it, hence the Sellotape. That's Arabic above the 'NAP' (both of which I have no idea what they're about, and they're both written in gold which didn't come out too well) - it was bought in a toy shop in Saudi some time around 1991/2.

The cards are plastic - I've never seen any other cards made out of the same material. The rest of the deck is pretty normal looking stuff, with equally crappy printing (it's all pixelated and the colour's off-centre). The printing on the blue and red decks are the same.

Printing underneath the box. I had to put the scanner's exposure settings on something really screwy to make it legible - the box is actually black plastic of some sort.