10 years of GAMECUBE

Post by Archive » June 26th, 2019, 7:55 pm

posted by 3do on Nov 19, 2011:

GodofHardcore said:

Order of last Gen Dreamcast, XBOX, Gamecube, PS2
between my Cube and PS2 I got my 360.
Yeah go figure that one out

I'd say order of last gen for me would be Gamecube, PS2, Dreamcast, Xbox

You could swap PS2 and Dreamcast around but the Gamecube is my favourite of the last gen consoles which i've owned all of them and at one point all at once.

Archive

10 years of GAMECUBE

posted by n64coder on Nov 19, 2011:

paul.strickler1 said:

Today is the North American 10th anniversary of the Gamecube.

It went by pretty unnoticed. At least, it looks that way after scanning the gaming blogs. Nobody made a birthday cake and took a photo like the DC, alas.

Yeah, it did seem to go unnoticed by Nintendo. Nintendo Power magazine (not owned by Nintendo) did an anniversary story and listed the top 20 games.

The gamecube has fond memories for me because it was the first console I bought after 15 year hiatus from gaming. The last time I had a console was the Sega Genesis around 91 and then picked up the cube in 2008 from Craigslist.

The Wavebird is my favorite controller. Mario Kart Double Dash was the first game that we (kids and I) played. The first game that I finished was Paper Mario The Thousand Year Door which was a blast. My daughters were sad when the computer "died" near the end.

My kids still play it for some Zelda Four Swords action. I still need to play/finish Wind Waker, Super Mario Sunshine, and Twilight Princess.

Archive

10 years of GAMECUBE

posted by GodofHardcore on Nov 19, 2011:

Besides Sonic Adventure 2 my favorite Gamecube Game is F Zero GX. So much so that I kind of want an AX Cab

Archive

10 years of GAMECUBE

posted by pstrick1 on Nov 19, 2011:

Eviltaco64 said:

I read the post, then I read this... Damn. Why so much hatred for people who choose to buy video game systems from other manufacturers? Different tastes for different people with the same money.

I've had all the 6th gen systems at one point or another. Dreamcast, PS2, and Gamecube have great game libraries. Xbox has a few gems of it's own, but I mainly used mine for emulation, game hacking, Linux, homebrew, etc.

I think they discontinued Gamecube (and Xbox) a little too early, too. No one wants to do anything daring on a dying platform, though, so it always has to end with a trickle of crappy CG movie games and Madden. Image

I was just kidding. i used to be really into the console wars, but these days, there is really no point. All consoles have their strong points, making head-to-head competition between the consoles impossible. Each console is targeting a different demographic, so the console wars just aren't what they used to be.

Archive

10 years of GAMECUBE

posted by Barc0de on Nov 20, 2011:

I bought a Jet Black one at US launch with some of my own-made money. I was so thrilled and happy, I got a memory card 59, Pikmin, Star Wars: Rogue Squadron 2 (rogue leader) and Super Smash Bros. Melee of course! I recall playing Melee the most because the other titles kind of rubbed me the wrong way initially.

Upon opening it I was surprised by the smallness of the whole affair, down to the controller - I still like the N64's the best but the GC is an equal for most modern games.

Other than that I had a really great time for the whole of my GC ownership. I never regretted and always bought the games I wanted - it was a great time to be a gamer for me although not as gaming-intense as when I had my n64.

I'm glad I owned a GC and I m even happier to own a Wii that supports it via BC. It was a great little system and the Wii's roots.

Archive

10 years of GAMECUBE

posted by Pikmin on Nov 27, 2011:

I bought a second hand Gamecube and saved up for my first game - Super Mario Sunshine. Technically a great game I didn't enjoy it, guess it was hard to top Mario 64. Luckily Resident Evil Remake was nothing short of amazing. Mario and Resident Evil were the main reasons for getting the console (same as Code Veronica and Sonic were for getting a Dreamcast). It never even crossed my mind to get a PS2 or Xbox, Most of us could only really afford one console...
I was upset that Rare left, was hoping for a new Banjo or Donkey Kong but overall it wasn't all bad.
The years went on and I kept buying Gamecube games: Sonic Adventure 2 Battle, Pikmin, Super Smash Bros Melee, Phantasy Star Online, F-Zero GX, Zelda Wind Waker, Metroid Prime...
Fast forward to 2011 and I still collect Gamecube games and play them too.
I am a bit surprised (and glad) that people nowadays say good things about the console when back in its prime everyone ignored it because 'real gamers don't play kiddy games' Image
Long live the Gamecube Image