10 years of Goldeneye: Rogue Agent

Archive

Post by Archive » June 26th, 2019, 7:55 pm

posted by stranno on Nov 22, 2014:

Image Image Image

In my opinion the worst 007 of all times (first/third person shooter games i mean). Horrible level design, bad controls and the stupid 1shoot1kill OMEN weapon. Never played the online, maybe it worth.

It was released the 22th of November 2004 in NA on Gamecube, XBOX and Playstation 2 by EA Los Angeles. In 2005 it was released on Nintendo DS, cropped version, by EA Tiburon.

Archive

posted by TreblaYevrah on Nov 25, 2014:

It's actually one of my favorite FPS games (and yes, I was also very fond of Rare's GoldenEye 007 as well as Perfect Dark).

I think the weapon roster was very interesting, and the multiplayer stages include some of greatest incarnations of 007 film sets I've seen in any Bond game (Golden Gate Bridge from A View to a Kill, Uplink-or the "Cradle" from GoldenEye, Scaramanga's funhouse, and more).

As for the OMEN being "stupid," I don't really see what the issue is. In the campaign mode, you don't have to worry about it until the final mission, and even then, it's easy enough to avoid the projectiles as they glide through the air at a fairly sluggish rate. The player already has plenty of "cheap" tactics at their disposal by that point anyway. You can easily take cover, activate your "x-ray" eye-power, and take out those enemies with the Mag-Rail (shoot through walls).

Anyway, I'm not trying to change your opinion, obviously. Most people do hate it, I'm just definitely not one of them.

I did briefly play the online via Xbox Live back when the game was released, but it was mostly just users bombing the hell out of each other with grenades. The splitscreen element is much more engaging, as far as I'm concerned.

Archive

posted by stranno on May 25, 2015:

Your OMEN shoots are really slow (it doesnt even worth) but the enemies shoots are not that slow, yeah, it sounds crazy but thats how it works. The x-ray vision is short range and its not a good idea to get closer to OMEN users. Anyway, OMEN users are moving all the time in the final level so its hard to shoot them anyway using the Mag-Rail.

I mean, it can be beaten, obviously, but its like 20x more difficult than any other level. And the level design of Volcano Lair is 20x worse than any other level.

BTW: Here's a little comparison between versions (except the DS one).

Archive

posted by TreblaYevrah on Nov 26, 2014:

I've played all three console versions, and my conclusion is this (arranged by rank):

GRAPHICS:
1. Xbox (sharpest textures, consistently locked at 30 FPS, and 480p support)
2. PS2 (textures almost as clean as Xbox version, but more unstable framerate/no 480p support)
3. Gamecube (muddy textures, framerate worse than PS2/no 480p support)

Gamecube VS PS2 Screens:
http://rogueagentexposed.webs.com/Gamecube-Screens/Comparison_Fort_Knox_GCN.jpg GCN
http://rogueagentexposed.webs.com/Gamecube-Screens/Comparison_Fort_Knox_PS2.jpg PS2
http://rogueagentexposed.webs.com/Gamecube-Screens/Comparison_Hoover_Dam_GCN.jpg GCN
http://rogueagentexposed.webs.com/Gamecube-Screens/Comparison_Hoover_Dam_PS2.jpg PS2

CONTROL:
1. Gamecube (two buttons are needed for picking up weapons, but has the smoothest aiming of all three console versions)
2. Xbox/PS2 (biggest difference between the two is aiming sensitivity, whereas the PS2 is less accurate, but the mapping is largely the same)

FEATURES:
1. Xbox (only version with system link mode, and also once had online)
2. PS2 (lacks system link, but did once have online)
3. Gamecube (no system link/online, and has a reduced art gallery due to disc space issues)

Archive

posted by stranno on Nov 26, 2014:

Also XBOX support bios widescreen. Playstation 2 doesnt support widescreen and there isnt any patches in the Devina40 archive (PCSX2 forums). Gamecube doesnt have native ws support but you can force it through SwissGC, Dios Mios or Nintendont, and it works pretty decent.

Are those screenshots from PS3/WIIU or emulators?

Nice website but i think the DS version actually is a downgrade of console version. Maybe it lacks some levels, i think the street in the hoover dam level, but the rest are identical. I mean, its not Modern Warfare that only have a few similar levels and the rest are totally new.

Archive

Emulators, but I do own the physical games and have confirmed the differences from actually playing them, such as the oddly vacant water texture in the Hoover Dam on Gamecube (seems to be a transparency layer).

Archive

stranno said:

Nice website but i think the DS version actually is a downgrade of console version. Maybe it lacks some levels, i think the street in the hoover dam level, but the rest are identical. I mean, its not Modern Warfare that only have a few similar levels and the rest are totally new.

I kind of left that website in limbo, because I have slowly come to hate webs.com more and more with each update.

I don't entirely agree that the campaign stages are identical. They are significantly shorter, for the most part, and no single room is exactly the same. Also, the multiplayer stages are mostly redesigned. Technically, the single-card multiplayer map is a new level, too... but aside from that, yes, there is nothing completely "new" from the console version.

In short, it is clearly not a port in the traditional sense; it was rebuilt from the ground-up for the DS.

Archive

posted by stranno on May 25, 2015:

I havent played the Rogue Agent multiplayer in any platform so i dont know about those levels. Maybe it worth more than the singleplayer.

Yes, rooms are not identical, they are smaller and they have more simple geometry, but they are pretty much based on original versions as far as i can remember.

I did the DS playthrough long time ago.

I enjoyed it, its an ok game to be the first first person shooter in Nintendo DS (aside Metroid Prime Hunters tech demo).

Archive

I've never played the multi-card multiplayer of the DS version, unfortunately, but I imagine it would have been a hell of a lot more fun than the campaign. I did play the single-card multiplayer briefly, but the one level is not very exciting.

I've heard you can just share a single cartridge with other players for some DS games, though, which I've never tried.

Anyway, I still play the DS version from time to time, mostly to shoot at some incredibly stupid "AI" bots in skirmish mode. I do, however, prefer the console version much more, and still play it on a fairly regular basis... and hack it.