Youtube changes.

Archive

Youtube changes.

Post by Archive » June 28th, 2019, 7:06 am

posted by WolverineDK on Apr 19, 2008:

hmmm what about fuck youtube ? ! and let us get to the alternatives ! ?

Archive

Youtube changes.

posted by Shadowlayer on Apr 19, 2008:

The only good alternative to youtube was Stage6 IMO, but it went down since just like any other video service it needs a fuckload of cash to stay online, and Divx is no Google...

Theres no real alternatives, mostly becos many studies show that online video isnt the holy grail most suits thought it was, and nobody wants to go into business with a failed idea.

Archive

Youtube changes.

posted by Mr. Casual on Apr 20, 2008:

Jamtex said:

Or in round numbers a nice 1 Gigabyte (or is it 1 Gigibyte or even 1.024 Gigabytes... arrrrrgh!).

Does this mean the videos can be 1 gigabyte? Thats mighty long for a youtube video.Imageh:

Archive

Youtube changes.

posted by Borman on Apr 20, 2008:

10 minute max still, and still converts it to their crappy formatted videos

Archive

Youtube changes.

posted by Hawanja on Apr 20, 2008:

They're not making money, but they have one of the stickiest sites out there... something doesn't make sense here. You know what they should do, is produce some of thier own "shows,' or make some deals with the studios to distribute thier shows specifically on Youtube, that will make them some cash.

Archive

Youtube changes.

posted by Shadowlayer on Apr 20, 2008:

Mark I've studied the whole deal over and over, and frankly they have no business model at all, at least not a sustainable one.

Google bought them becos it was an oportunity: they were a popular site that had ran out of money, so google knew it could get it for a low price. I know billion doesnt sounds cheap, but for a site as popular as youtube it was.

The problem is that giving a service for free makes little sense. Obviously there were ads and sponsored shows, but the numbers are in and the money barely keeps the company off the red.

Video ads are like game ads, they sound great in theory, but in practice they barely work. I remember an experiment they did less than a year ago where they connected a guy to one of those gizmos that track your eye's movement. They made him play NFS:C, to find out how many times a player looks at the in-game ads.

Turns out they barely do, and I agree since as a player I can say I may look one as a novelty (like the phony ones in every GTA) but having half of the virtual space filled with real ads is pretty cumbersome. Plus unlike a Tv show I'm directly paying for the game, so why the ads? Theres no ads in movies, product placement maybe, but not ads per se.

Anyway, the same results can be applied to video ads. Most users just turn off the speakers and look at something else while the ad plays, or if it is one of those text-over-video ones the average joe will consider it irrelevant, if he ever reads it.

I know is hard to believe that theres high rank execs out there pouring money into stuff with no future, but hey it happened just some years ago before the .com bubble burst. Many companies back then had no business plan at all, and their only objetive was to get even more funding or that some bigger company bought them.

Some did get a buyer, and at prices that dwarf the sum google payed for youtube.

At the end the bubble bursted, since while you can keep people working for just company stock, servers need energy to run, and to get energy you need actual money, not empty promises.

Borman said:

10 minute max still, and still converts it to their crappy formatted videos

Yeah, at that blocky resolution who cares how much you can store...

Man I miss Stage6.

Archive

Youtube changes.

posted by ASSEMbler on Apr 20, 2008:

Youtube has changed their terms of use, you must OPT OUT on each clip you have unless you want to grant syndication rights for the media.

So unless you want them to use your clips to make money,
opt out.

Here's the details:

They added a way to make money from views to DIRECTOR accounts.
All of my media, if I go to edit the info, and then the SHARING OPTIONS
have an opt-out for syndication. Specifically I now see:

Monetization Tools
AdSense Video Units Players
AdSense Account Settings (offsite)

Video Units

Enhance your site with high quality, relevant video content from select YouTube partners, and earn extra revenue along the way.
Image Relevant, Premium Content

Deliver high quality video content to your site. Choose categories, individual YouTube partners, or have Google target your site's content.
Targeted, Non-Intrusive Ads

Earn revenue from relevant, user-friendly ads targeted to your site and to the videos being played.
Enhanced User Experience

Attract and retain users with highly relevant, frequently refreshed video from popular content providers.
Customizable Players

Customize the color theme and layout of the player to best fit your site.
Ready? Get Started!

Visit the Video units section at YouTube.com by clicking the button below and start creating your player today.
Got more questions? Visit the AdSense