Zelda gb proto on eBay

Archive

Zelda gb proto on eBay

Post by Archive » June 28th, 2019, 7:07 am

posted by kennypecheur on Oct 6, 2016:

At least, @jossan came here to talk about this cart. He could have stayed in the dark, as people with bad intentions could have done. I trust him when he says that the cart comes from a Nintendo hotline. The only mistake he has done was to list it as a prototype. Today, everyone is talking about prototypes, but we should be more precise in the definition of a prototype. For me, a prototype is a work in progress game (early build, close to final,....). We can also include Submission cartridges as they are a part of the development process.

The Zelda cart is strange enought to avoid talking about prototype. If the buyer bought it as a cart comming from an official Nintendo office, then he has what he was looking for (something odd and rare from Nintendo). It can be a self made cart, made by someone working in the hotline, in order to be able to answer more people at a time, without asking to the main european or japanese office to get a cart thought official ways (official ways are sometimes very long, like in all other companies in the world, including mine Image ). Who knows....

So the cart should have been sold as a cart comming from an official Nintendo office, but not as a prototype. But I think than Jossan was not looking to fool people. I have a perfect dark "prototype" on N64 (and I had a Mario Kart one) with Titus written on it. This is clear enought to prove that it is not an official prototype (the cart has probably been flashed by a Titus developper in order to play these games for free on the real hardware). But we can't be this sure with the Zelda proto, so we should just wait and hope to get more informations on it, and we should definelty not fight each other.

Archive

Zelda gb proto on eBay

posted by badinsults on Oct 6, 2016:

To some people, this is a legit prototype:

At first glance, it appears to be a retail Earthbound board. And indeed, it pretty much is, except that the ROM chip has been hand soldered on. A number of these boards exist, and were used by Nintendo of Europe for evaluation. They have been found in many places, and have a history to back them up.

I don't know why some people in this thread think they are the prototype police. Jossan's Link's Awakening cart may not be a conventional looking prototype, but since it came from a source involved in evaluation of Nintendo games, there is no reason to doubt its legitimacy. I've looked at well over 1000 prototypes over the years, and sometimes they aren't on a standard prototype board. I've also seen prototype boards with games that have obviously been burned on by someone who just wanted to play a game they downloaded off a BBS. Being able to recognize that just takes experience.

Archive

Zelda gb proto on eBay

posted by Sonny_Jim on Oct 7, 2016:

badinsults said:

there is no reason to doubt its legitimacy.

When you've got the Assembler of AssemblerGames himself casting doubt, then I think there is reason to doubt it's legitimacy.
To outline my reasons why I personally don't think this is a legit Nintendo prototype:

1. 1st Party Nintendo prototypes don't tend to leak
2. Nintendo had ample access to other, less hacked together prototypes to send to the hotline

badinsults said:

I've looked at well over 1000 prototypes over the years, and sometimes they aren't on a standard prototype board.

Have you ever seen a 1st party Nintendo prototype that used a hacked up retail cart and vero board? I can imagine a smaller studio throwing something together to send to a magazine for a review, but not Nintendo.

Archive

Zelda gb proto on eBay

posted by Bad_Ad84 on Oct 7, 2016:

Sonny_Jim said:

When you've got the Assembler of AssemblerGames himself casting doubt, then I think there is reason to doubt it's legitimacy.

With no disrespect, asssembler is not an expert on a lot of stuff that comes up on this forum. So I find this reasoning to be extremely flawed. Arguably badinsults has far more experience in this area.

Its not impossible someone tech savvy that worked on the hotline just made some replacement carts. At the job I currently do, I have done many work arounds just to get things working that were never done here before...

It only takes someone like the users of assemblergames to work there and something like this could happen. Maybe it wasnt shipped to them from Nintendo - they were short a cart and someone said "I can knock some up for temp usage" and a manager said to do it, so shit gets done. Stuff like this happens in business.

Archive

Zelda gb proto on eBay

posted by kennypecheur on Oct 7, 2016:

Bad_Ad84 said:

they were short a cart and someone said "I can knock some up for temp usage" and a manager said to do it, so shit gets done. Stuff like this happens in business.

Yes, exactly ! As I said, official ways to get things internally is sometimes a pain, this is why we sometimes use other unofficial ways in everyday business. I guess it is the same in Nintendo offices or sub-officies.

Sonny_Jim said:

1. 1st Party Nintendo prototypes don't tend to leak

Nintendo prototypes indeed don't leak often, but as I said, we should avoid to call it a prototype, as it is probably somethign else.

Bad_Ad84 said:

asssembler is not an expert on a lot of stuff that comes up on this forum

So true ! And even expects in a particular domain can't claim to own the truth.

Anyway, even if the welds are not perfect, the job done on this cart is pretty clever. Using this "Ribbon cable" (sorry, I don't know the word in English) was a good idea to avoid loose wires.

Archive

Zelda gb proto on eBay

posted by badinsults on Oct 7, 2016:

Sonny_Jim said:

Have you ever seen a 1st party Nintendo prototype that used a hacked up retail cart and vero board? I can imagine a smaller studio throwing something together to send to a magazine for a review, but not Nintendo.

Yes, this was especially true during the NES era. Just look up the Dragon Warrior prototype, for example.

Archive

Zelda gb proto on eBay

posted by Charels on Oct 8, 2016:

badinsults said:

Yes, this was especially true during the NES era. Just look up the Dragon Warrior prototype, for example.