フレームマイスター Framemister Xrgb mini/ English firmware/39000 yen shipped

Archive

Post by Archive » June 28th, 2019, 7:14 am

posted by Atolm on Dec 9, 2016:

NewYears1978 said:

It's weird to me no one has reproduced the thing though! Wonder why? Or why doesn't Micomsoft's outsource that one part to someone else?

It's not their part to outsource, the IC design belongs to Marvell. Copying designs is a good way to get your company in legal trouble, let alone blacklisted with vendors.

It takes a lot of cash to fire up a semiconductor fab, especially with your own design. I highly doubt a company like Micomsoft which is doing low volume business has the resources to design their own processors, let alone get them into production. It makes more sense for them to use off the shelf stuff.

There currently isn't a suitable drop in replacement, which makes sense seeing how what the framemeister is doing isn't a concern of tv manufacturers anymore. The big players don't care about people using old analog devices anymore, this isn't 2006.

Maybe at some point someone can implement a FPGA with framemeister like levels of features, but that's not a simple undertaking.

Archive

posted by sayin999 on Dec 9, 2016:

They really are a tiny company so it would be hard to imagine them making their own chips or doing an fpga method. Keep in mind their only other noteritety was making hardcore controllers for 16 bit systems. Through they were the only ones to make a mega drive adapter that would let you use S-video without modding.

Their xrgb/framemiester line has always been a bit of a niche thing. They didn't really start commending serious demand until a lot of YouTube channels were using them for capturing quality footage. For a long time only place I knew they sold any of their products in the US was importer ncsx.

I'm sure the other difficulty in making a new one would be proper 4K support which would really be a bit of an undertaking.

Archive

posted by NewYears1978 on Dec 9, 2016:

sayin999 said:

They really are a tiny company so it would be hard to imagine them making their own chips or doing an fpga method. Keep in mind their only other noteritety was making hardcore controllers for 16 bit systems. Through they were the only ones to make a mega drive adapter that would let you use S-video without modding.

Their xrgb/framemiester line has always been a bit of a niche thing. They didn't really start commending serious demand until a lot of YouTube channels were using them for capturing quality footage. For a long time only place I knew they sold any of their products in the US was importer ncsx.

I'm sure the other difficulty in making a new one would be proper 4K support which would really be a bit of an undertaking.

Yeah I guess all that makes sense. I am not keen on all the workings of all that stuff, so I didn't think it through. Real shame. I wonder what the longevity of the device is...maybe I should buy two - to have a spare - especially since the jerks on eBay are selling for 800-3000.

Archive

posted by Atolm on Dec 9, 2016:

NewYears1978 said:

. Real shame. I wonder what the longevity of the device is...maybe I should buy two - to have a spare - especially since the jerks on eBay are selling for 800-3000.

Well, they're asking 800 - 3K. I don't think they're selling at that price. An actual auction I saw ended over 500. Which, is still crazy considering you can preorder.

As for the Framemeister itself, although the case feels pretty cheap, I haven't really heard of any failures hardware wise, and there's enough of them out there

Archive

Atolm said:

Well, they're asking 800 - 3K. I don't think they're selling at that price. An actual auction I saw ended over 500. Which, is still crazy considering you can preorder.

As for the Framemeister itself, although the case feels pretty cheap, I haven't really heard of any failures hardware wise, and there's enough of them out there

Most of the ones are not best offer though..so how would they be selling less? I assumed they used to sell them cheaper and raised the price. Maybe some of them are placeholders and the actual item isn't available. I msg'd nearly all of them and only one of them replied though.

One that listed it for 994 buy it now, I offered 400 awhile back and he replied with 990 counter offer. So yeah... ridiculous.

Archive

posted by yuckymucky on Dec 9, 2016:

Sent you a PM.

Archive

posted by ExplodedHamster on Dec 9, 2016:

I have one and absolutely LOVE it. I also want to thank Mark for all his help, he's been like a very gracious Santa hooking people here up and I'm sure he hasn't made money to equal the time he has put in helping people here. So thanks again for everything!

That aside, what do people think about having a backup? I would say mine seems quite reliable, but there's always the paranoia in me! Given the amount I have thrown into my collection, I think I will probably try to get on the list.

Archive

ExplodedHamster said:

I have one and absolutely LOVE it. I also want to thank Mark for all his help, he's been like a very gracious Santa hooking people here up and I'm sure he hasn't made money to equal the time he has put in helping people here. So thanks again for everything!

That aside, what do people think about having a backup? I would say mine seems quite reliable, but there's always the paranoia in me! Given the amount I have thrown into my collection, I think I will probably try to get on the list.

Yea I just mentioned above I almost feel like getting 2 of them. I am so impatient right now. I am on the waiting list but my redo game room project is on hold right now until I get a Framemeister.

Is Mark = Yakumo? (I am new here)

Archive

posted by sayin999 on Dec 10, 2016:

Yes Yakumo is Mark.

Archive

posted by NewYears1978 on Dec 10, 2016:

sayin999 said:

Yes Yakumo is Mark.