Archive

Post by Archive » June 28th, 2019, 7:14 am

posted by andoba on Aug 22, 2008:

Another dilema:

I've heard that 貴方 is used only with people with you have some kind of relation (friends, classmates, family, jobmates (lol spangrish) etc), but what about キミ? Is way too stupid? Or what?

Archive

posted by Warakia on Aug 22, 2008:

I did meet a gaijin who loved keigo. He was a total boffin french arsehole doing classes at a private school in Tokyo.

He had study dates with his Fugly girlfriend, talked about grammer all the time with me and used to read a kanji book on trains. He was just an academic who loved showing off things other people did not know.

Half my year at Oxford uni were exactly the same...

All these types tend to have a shit time in Japan and never go back as they realise that they cannot have a normal conversation with a non-academic.

Rant over....

@andoba - it sounds weird to most English speakers, but try to avoid using the words meaning "you" Japanese people do not rely on them as much. Kimi is good for sounding soft and gentlemanly to a girl, but is not terribly common. Again read the situation. Anata is your safest bet if you cannot read the intimacy of the relationship. Or go for the name. (unless you keep forgetting people's names - like your truly)

Archive

posted by andoba on Aug 22, 2008:

Warakia said:

I did meet a gaijin who loved keigo. He was a total boffin french arsehole doing classes at a private school in Tokyo.

He had study dates with his Fugly girlfriend, talked about grammer all the time with me and used to read a kanji book on trains. He was just an academic who loved showing off things other people did not know.

All these types tend to have a shit time in Japan and never go back as they realise that they cannot have a normal conversation with a non-academic.

Rant over....

@andoba - it sounds weird to most English speakers, but try to avoid using the words meaning "you" Japanese people do not rely on them as much. Kimi is good for sounding soft and gentlemanly to a girl, but is not terribly common. Again read the situation. Anata is your safest bet if you cannot read the intimacy of the relationship. Or go for the name. (unless you keep forgetting people's names - like your truly)

Thank you! Image

Archive

posted by Yakumo on Aug 23, 2008:

Warakia said:

Rant over....

:lol: I know the type mate. I tend to keep well clear of them otherwise I may end up saying something pretty rude to get them to shut up.

Archive

posted by Tachikoma on Aug 23, 2008:

I quite like keigo lol

I was in this bar in Ebisu and forgot a girls name so used the old watakushi and to moshimasu and she was well impressed!

Archive

you can say the lowest form of Japanese and impress someone here. They think that none of us can speak Japanese.

Today the family went to the Bakan Festival. basically it's the city's yearly festival to remember the old name before in became Shimonoseki. Pretty much half the population of the city attend this festival. Anyway, to get back on topic, I went to a store to buy some fried chicken. Instantly I got the "dumb foreigner treatment" with "This is Japanese KFC" from the store seller in bad English. This sort of thing pisses me off after having to listen to it for 11 years. Anyway, I said in Japanese, "Yes I know". The store seller was like, WOW!!! YOU SPEAK GREAT JAPANESE. Yeah yeah, just give me my karaakge and sod off was what I was thinking. Then I got the "You American?" God, you can't believe how annoying that is. Ever white guy is American and every black guy is from New York a black friend of mine was saying.

rant over! Yeah, I'm in a foul mood tonight.

Yakumo

Archive

posted by Tatsujin on Aug 23, 2008:

lol..teh everydays procedure:lol:

Archive

posted by ave on Aug 23, 2008:

I see why you're pissed off, but on the other hand it's still pretty friendly ^_^

Archive

ave said:

I see why you're pissed off, but on the other hand it's still pretty friendly ^_^

Yeah, I know but after a few years it does become very tedious.

Yakumo

Archive

posted by Tachikoma on Aug 23, 2008:

Don't take my minor victory away from me, I was happy with that! </joke>

I can see how annoying it can get just from 8 days there though, I was ordering some food in a cafe and some Japanese woman said "wow, very good!" in a semi-sarcastic tone (in English) and in another club a guy asked why I was speaking Japanese, well excuse me for trying, I know my Japanese is shit, but it's better than going around asking everyone if they speak English.