1.4GHZ Xbox Owners - Keeping the Xbox cool when placed in a small space

Archive

Post by Archive » June 26th, 2019, 7:55 pm

posted by Gilboa on Feb 25, 2019:

I'm a bit apprehensive about my setup that I plan to place my N64 Freak 1.4GHz xbox into.

The space is pretty confined. Here's a photo:

I'd say there is about 5 inches of space behind the xbox with some cord clutter as well. There is also going to be an additional Extron RGB 203rxi added to the mix. The backside of the cubbie has a hole for wires and it's pushed up flush against the wall.

I'm looking for some advice from 1.4ghz box owners on any cooling issues or burn outs they may have faced.

I was considering looking into external fan cooling but the spot will become even more congested.

Any thoughts on how to keep the xbox cool in this space? I don't mind loud fans as long as the CPU remains safe.

Archive

posted by ToxicMedz on Feb 25, 2019:

Honestly. The heatsink Lukas uses should keep the temps under control, even in that kind of space.
The OG xbox has very good thermal protection, if it gets too hot it will shut itself down safely. If that ever happens either turn up the fan or install an upgraded fan and cut out the metal of the shielding at the fan exhaust opening to promote better airflow.

Archive

posted by Gilboa on Feb 25, 2019:

Sounds good! Thanks for the input. I figured I'd get some opinions from users that have the 1.4GHz upgrade and go from there.