[Code Source] Mr Nutz 2 MD

Archive

Post by Archive » June 27th, 2019, 9:35 am

posted by p1pkin on Apr 14, 2012:

I am agree too, (Europe) (Proto) is right label.
This is not final sources of the game, most recent files dated by July 1994, but the game was to be released much later.

Wesker said:

This was compiled by a Russian romhacker so, since they are very used to dump unlicensed pirates, this was probably done on a similar basis.

Well, I'm not romhacker, but hobbie emulator programmer (Demul, a bit of MAME, etc) and in the far past have some programming skills on Amiga.
Several days ago I accidentally saw a post on a russian forum about this game, and was very surprised that no one has made a working rom of this game.
So, I made a build environment for it under WinUAE (too lazy to use my old good Ami Image ), figured out how build scripts works, corrected it a bit, rebuilded level-resources, compiled game engines, build the rom, and in result we all have a fully working (I hope) game.

Archive

posted by Wesker on Apr 14, 2012:

Sorry, didn't know how to address you properly. Many thanks for your highly appreciated effort, by the way.

Yeah, this is definitely not the final revision of the game. That's the Mr. Nutz 2 prototype which is kept by Peter Thierolf. But I'm surprised this source is dated mid-1994, that's even before the release of the Mega Drive version of Mr. Nutz 1 (late 1994). Maybe Ocean put the conversion on hold in order to port and release Mr. Nutz 1 first, and then this one after, instead of just releasing Mr. Nutz 2 (still Mr. Nutz: Hoppin' Mad by then) like it happened for the Amiga.

Is it possible to do minor hacks to the source like inserting the Mr. Nutz 2 logo and also the Ocean and Neon introductory logos of the Amiga version? So this could be a little closer to what would be the finished product (or Peter Thierolf's prototype to that matter).

Archive

posted by TEOL on Apr 15, 2012:

You're probably right about the Mr. Nutz 2 name thing at the moment there is just the AMIGA levels when the text at the start of the topic said there were more so this one really is the finished AMIGA version just ported at the moment with the richer colours as expected and it's 3 button now but all the help still says the AMIGA press fire which doesn't help you on that flying level as there is a different button system.

I'm lucky that I kept the uncut version of the source code as it ended up being downed so now I know about emu land doing this revision I can post the Mr Nutz. 2 version on their forum to do.

Just posted and hoping for an answer from them. Would help if it was an actual Russian posting that version of the code on there.

Maybe someone who is Russian can translate the text for me so they will definitely have a go at the proper Nr Nutz. 2 and the possibly different Ocean version of Turrican 3 as well?

Wesker. I have also Subbed to your YouTube @WeskerSega which would hopefully give you an extra incentive for you to start posting videos again. Loved your soundtrack of the AMIGA version. Hoping you can do the SEGA soundtrack with the current released SEGA version as well.

Archive

posted by Wesker on Apr 15, 2012:

TEOL said:

Wesker. I have also Subbed to your YouTube @WeskerSega which would hopefully give you an extra incentive for you to start posting videos again. Loved your soundtrack of the AMIGA version. Hoping you can do the SEGA soundtrack with the current released SEGA version as well.

Yeah, I can do it. I'll look into it soon.

Archive

posted by kikendo on Apr 15, 2012:

TEOL said:

You're probably right about the Mr. Nutz 2 name thing at the moment there is just the AMIGA levels

The levels are not the Amiga levels, actually. It's a very different game from my quick run through World 1. There's also some removed features, like, the first boss doesn't look nowhere anywhere as cool as the Amiga one which used mode7-like effects.

This is the debug screen I get with this ROM on my NTSC Japanese Megadrive:

Maybe it helps someone out. This appears on first boot, after a reset it's gone.
The machine is set to NTSC/USA by means of a Megakey device, I could try it without the Megakey and see what's up.

Also: the game is way too fast on NTSC machines. I am sure this is intended to be played on a 50Hz system only because it becomes quite unplayable as it is. The main problem is the main character advancing a little ahead of the middle of the screen when it runs, something that was a problem on the Amiga in my opinion but not as much since that run at 50Hz. At 60Hz this becomes very, very annoying.

Would be awesome to see teh final version of this game pop up eventually!

Archive

posted by TEOL on Apr 15, 2012:

You have to do this trick for it to work on real hardware on a SEGA Everdrive or similar.

This hex is because it's a PAL game and if you choose to play it on real hardware it's optimised to play in 60hz via emulation straight away but it isn't on real hardware it's weird but thats how this game works.

1) Start the game off in 60hz NTSC mode this hex rubbish comes up.

2) Switch to 50hz and press restart.

3) Switch to 60hz as the game boots.

4) Press restart and it should run fine with it's proper non sped up music and in full screen 60hz.

Yep unless you have a PAL or Modded console you are screwed for playing this on hardware unless if Megakey ever gets fixed properly.

Archive

posted by Wesker on Apr 15, 2012:

kikendo said:

The levels are not the Amiga levels, actually. It's a very different game from my quick run through World 1. There's also some removed features, like, the first boss doesn't look nowhere anywhere as cool as the Amiga one which used mode7-like effects.

Yeah, there's no overhead bonus level (got replaced by a shoot 'em up bonus level) and raytraced tunnel level anymore. Such a shame, because Neon was very similar to Factor 5 in terms of technical skills and I think they could have reproduced all those effects on the Mega Drive with a little more effort (or maybe budget).

It's very similar to what happened with Mr. Nutz 1 in its transition from the SNES to the Mega Drive.

Archive

posted by Svetlana on Apr 15, 2012:

kikendo said:

This is the debug screen I get with this ROM on my NTSC Japanese Megadrive:!

interestingly, I have tried to compile these sources since they were released in 2009. This was my most successful attempt, which isn't saying much (file info window for date confirmation):

either way congratulations to p1pkin for managing to compile this before me.

Archive

posted by p1pkin on Apr 16, 2012:

Wesker said:

Is it possible to do minor hacks to the source like inserting the Mr. Nutz 2 logo and also the Ocean and Neon introductory logos of the Amiga version? So this could be a little closer to what would be the finished product (or Peter Thierolf's prototype to that matter).

Yes, it is possible to build game with different logo.
http://www.sendspace.com/file/hu4uyz
This is original logo, you can modify it.

Archive

posted by TEOL on Apr 16, 2012:

Yeah, but we don't want that. What we want is the full source being done with the SEGA.whatever the extension was file from the build that was done already to preserve the proper final Mr. Nutz 2 Beta.

A title screen hack isn't worth the bother but the proper final beta is.

Edit: I made a followup post to the initial post I made yesterday at emu-land. Hopefully they can have a crack at it now that I've posted what we would like attempted which is if those 2 missing files are in the one they built copy them files only over the the Beta 2 to have an almost 1:1 of the final Beta.