Is this a Prototype Cart ????

Archive

Post by Archive » June 27th, 2019, 12:47 pm

posted by splith on Apr 8, 2012:

It's a 2000 PCB so that means it was written by nintendo or whatnot in 2000-2002, I'm going with it being a full retail. Pokemon gold was already out in japan in 1999 so all they needed to do was translate it and fix up any bugs, don't think it'd be likely they'd implement a debug menu to do that but who knows.

Archive

posted by brendand on Apr 19, 2012:

Ok i just got a Retail version of Pokemon gold in the mail it seems to be the exact same! but do i get a Transferer or Bung to make sure its nothing else ?

Archive

posted by Trenton_net on Apr 20, 2012:

I got mine from China so I don't know if they are widely avaliable or not, but If you can find one I suggest getting a SmartBoy kit sans the flash card (Since you don't need it). It works over USB and is compatabile with open source transfer software (ie. You can run it on linux).

SmartBoy USB Reader + A game Subbie sold me:

Archive

posted by brendand on Apr 20, 2012:

Trenton_net said:

I got mine from China so I don't know if they are widely avaliable or not, but If you can find one I suggest getting a SmartBoy kit sans the flash card (Since you don't need it). It works over USB and is compatabile with open source transfer software (ie. You can run it on linux).

SmartBoy USB Reader + A game Subbie sold me:

< that is cool ! i hope to find a reasonable priced transferer , x changer or one of these in the next 2 months =)

Archive

posted by brendand on Apr 21, 2012:

ok who else has a retail flash cartridge for gameboy color ? I wanna see if mine is actually one of them

Archive

posted by MasterOfPuppets on Apr 21, 2012:

These are a couple retail ones, as you can see, not as tall as yours. Yours also has official parts in it, like the MBC3.

Archive

posted by brendand on Apr 22, 2012:

MasterOfPuppets said:

These are a couple retail ones, as you can see, not as tall as yours. Yours also has official parts in it, like the MBC3.

< Intresting indeed I still have no idea what it is i have yet but the 2 most likely Theory are its a developers flash cart with a full retail or could it could be a 1st party prototype ??? i don't know if it is a review cartridge ?? i hope to answer this question as soon as i get my hands on a Dumping device and check the checksums for any differences.

Archive

posted by MottZilla on Apr 22, 2012:

The cart you have is a Nintendo flash cart. If it has the retail version of Pokemon on it that isn't that surprising. As you said, it could have been used for reviewers, testers, someone could have got it used and had the hardware and software to program it and they chose to put Pokemon on it. Until you dump it though, you don't really know if you have something somewhat different from retail or not.

Archive

posted by brendand on Jun 25, 2012:

MottZilla said:

The cart you have is a Nintendo flash cart. If it has the retail version of Pokemon on it that isn't that surprising. As you said, it could have been used for reviewers, testers, someone could have got it used and had the hardware and software to program it and they chose to put Pokemon on it. Until you dump it though, you don't really know if you have something somewhat different from retail or not.

I am completely uncertain of what it is for now ... i found a Gameboy flash cart from 1999 through google today here it is >> http://gbdev.gg8.se/2009/06/official-nintendo-game-boy-flash-cartridge-scans/ it does not appear to be the same at all and the people who sell the dumping devices either did not get my email or are too busy to reply i am currently unwilling to spend alot of money on a dumping device atm i will try to reach those people again soon as i want to compare the retail rom size and checksum to this cartridge and hopefully end the mystery on this cartridge as well

Archive

posted by HEX1GON on Jun 25, 2012:

brendand said:

I am completely uncertain of what it is for now ... i found a Gameboy flash cart from 1999 through google today here it is >> http://gbdev.gg8.se/2009/06/official-nintendo-game-boy-flash-cartridge-scans/ it does not appear to be the same at all and the people who sell the dumping devices either did not get my email or are too busy to reply i am currently unwilling to spend alot of money on a dumping device atm i will try to reach those people again soon as i want to compare the retail rom size and checksum to this cartridge and hopefully end the mystery on this cartridge as well

That's GAMEBOY flash cart not a GAMEBOY COLOR one, so a big difference there. If you were in Melbourne it would of been great to actually see this cart in person.
As for dumping the ROM, the X-Changers are not cheap you can ask gamedoctorhk to look for one for you (he's found me rare stuff before) usually specializes in copiers.

The only reason why I'm going to say it's a final retail version of Pokemon Gold is because it was found at a pawn shop, so most likely it was for a review -- You'll come across a few review code games on stores like that cause not everything that get reviewed gets returned.
You're very lucky to come across it though, there are no pawn shops in Melbourne that I know will have anything game related.