09/14/05 The official sanctioned Sonic Extreme AFTER AUCTION thread.

Archive

Post by Archive » June 26th, 2019, 7:55 pm

posted by PhreQuencYViii on Oct 10, 2005:

So does anyone know if the dude who bought it is going to do the pressed cd thing with assembler? If they were sold for like 20$ or so a pop he'd probably make the money he used for the auction back.

Archive

posted by LocalH on Oct 10, 2005:

Probably not, since the buyer is a collector. I'm sure he's probably backed up the disc for his own private protection (it's stupid not to), but if he does end up releasing a bin/cue to the public I'd be quite surprised, given the amount of money he put into it.

Archive

posted by Taemos on Oct 10, 2005:

To be honest, I don't really care if it gets released. It would've been interesting to play the game, but a video is just as good to me. From what I keep seeing, there would only have been maybe a few minutes worth of playtime in it.

Archive

posted by PhreQuencYViii on Oct 10, 2005:

A movie would be excellent too...............he's going to do the movie thing, right?
aaaaaaaah man....I think it's so cool someone finally got ahold of some of it.

Archive

posted by Anthaemia. on Nov 1, 2005:

I really don't understand why somebody's paid so much and then made the effort to buy sonicxtreme.com just to show off what could be described in any language as nothing more than a simple tech demo (by my reckoning, that project will have run its course in no time at all unless somebody finds something REALLY worthwhile hidden away on that disc).

Why can't we all just face facts and accept that Sonic X-Treme in playable form will never live up to expectations? Even the earlier 1996 E3 demo had more variety in its content, and I'll find more looking at screenshots than I ever will from a basic single-level demo - though whether even magazine pictures actually come from genuine Saturn code or not is looking more doubtful by the day, especially if this latest discovery is any indication of how little STI had managed to produce.

Call me an optimist, but I can't see in any way how X-Treme could possibly have been completed in time for the game's planned Christmas '96 release date if this demo is all they had done by October the same year. My attention is now turning to other known unreleased Saturn titles, in particular the holy grail that is Virtua Fighter 3 (either finished version) and whatever exists of VF RPG/Akira's Quest/Project Berkeley/Shenmue...

P.S. Despite my initial negativity, I'll still probably end up getting a copy of this leaked disc when it starts circulation. You know, just for the sake of being able to say that I was one of the Saturn owners who waited around long enough to own Sonic X-Treme - not as if I'll be playing it semi-religiously every day, of course!

Archive

posted by z3ntn3l on Nov 1, 2005:

Anthaemia. said:

I really don't understand why somebody's paid so much and then made the effort to buy sonicxtreme.com just to show off what could be described in any language as nothing more than a simple tech demo (by my reckoning, that project will have run its course in no time at all unless somebody finds something REALLY worthwhile hidden away on that disc).

I think you forget that this Disc is a very nice Item for Collectors.

Of course i never would pay so much money for this Disc because i dont have it ;-)

But i can imagine that real Collectors can pay the money.

I´m just a Saturn Fan and i just want to see the Video (if its really coming) but i think that this Disc is a very important Item for the "Collector Scene"... and of course for the Videogame History too.

Archive

posted by Mark30001 on Nov 1, 2005:

Was this game actually cancelled to be ported to the Sega Dreamcast as Sonic Adventure? If so, are there any similarities between the 2 games, music/story plot/some levels?

Archive

There's no doubting the importance of this disc to Saturn enthusiasts, but what's being lost is the fact that Sonic X-Treme in any playable form will never live up to the expectation and hype surrounding this title, or at least that's the conclusion I had to come up with based on everything I've read about the game so far. I definitely consider myself a massive Saturn fanatic, though I'm still not really sure why so much fuss is being made over this particular game when there are more complete prototypes (and some finished masters) in existence that are going to waste - surely it would make a lot more sense if the community worked together in order to save these as opposed to what is a glorified demo disc? If the E3 build or even a later PC version was leaked, we might even be able to get more from the X-Treme myth. As it is, most people seem content to just have what's available instead of looking for anything else. Then again, is the new owner of X-Treme actually releasing anything? To pass the time until we get some kind of answer to this question, somebody could get in touch with the former STI members who are known to have their own builds, as these may have more content. Also, as I said before, there are other games out there which are of interest, and many of these are more complete than X-Treme ever will be. Unlike this game, however, I have a feeling that obtaining something like Virtua Fighter 3 would require a lot more effort, so why isn't more of an effort being made searching for the many unreleased Saturn titles that are currently (and presumably) locked away somewhere?

P.S. Although both games were developed by two completely separate entities within Sega, there are some uncanny similarities between Sonic Adventure and (what has been seen of) X-Treme. However, to say that one is a port of the other would be completely wrong. The most realistic assumption is that Sonic Team was looking over its proverbial shoulder, taking what it considered STI's best leftover ideas for its own Adventure. Certain musical themes in this game were also used in the MegaDrive version of Sonic 3D, and if you also think of Sonic World on the Saturn as an early prototype of how the character would function in a polygonal environment then it's possible to create quite a lengthy timeline for Adventure's gestation period. Once again, though, I must emphasise that X-Treme did not become Adventure. In fact, Yuji Naka probably didn't want STI to use his team's NiGHTS engine because it was also powering an early Saturn attempt at a 3D Sonic game - could the hidden bonus in Christmas NiGHTS be another clue as to the true origin of Sonic Adventure?

Archive

posted by Mark30001 on Nov 1, 2005:

Well, you could try contacting Sonic Team. I've sent them both an email & postal mail about music from one of their games, Sonic Adventure.

...they never responded back. I sometimes have doubts about the addresses I send them mail to, which is a San Francisco address. I was thinking the place I should send to is a Japan address, but the California one is the only one I found...

Archive

From what I can remember, Sonic Team was originally based in Sega's Japanese headquarters before moving to San Francisco in late 1991/early 1992, supposedly because they wanted Sonic 2 to have more worldwide appeal (which it got, thanks to the input of STI's designers). I believe they remained in the US for Adventure, switching back to Japan mid-development. It's possible they still have a contact address in America, but Sonic Team will always be associated with Sega as one of its Japanese units so perhaps you're better contacting them there? However, as somebody who has tried getting in touch with AM2 before, I guarantee that you'll be disappointed with the lack of a response. If you are lucky enough to receive a response from Sega, it's almost certainly going to be a stock answer by a publicist in either Europe or America, so don't expect too much that we don't already know...