0WINCEOS.BIN can be generated with WCE5.0 + WCEDC SDK

Archive

0WINCEOS.BIN can be generated with WCE5.0 + WCEDC SDK

Post by Archive » June 26th, 2019, 7:55 pm

posted by TerdFerguson on May 11, 2016:

I'm not sure if anyone is aware of this. You can sysgen an SH4 Windows CE 5.0 OS image using Platform Builder, and use the .BIB , .REG , .DB , .DAT files from WCE5.0 PB OS to generate an 0WINCEOS.BIN using Image Configuration Tool in the WCE Dreamcast SDK. The files need to be setup perfectly error free in order to get it to output the 0WINCEOS.BIN, which I have not done yet. But it does build a WinCE 5.0 boot file

This means if someone really knew what they were doing they could probably get WinCE 5.0 full OS to load up on Dreamcast natively. Because you can define memory spaces etc. I think the potential new BSP can be exported and distributed legally as long as everyone builds their own Kernel/OS/Disc and buys the key at the end of the 120 day evaluation period

The binary I'm trying to build is 4.9mb. But if the excess drivers for the stock SH4 BSP in WCE5PB it could be brought down to around 2.5mb. Leaving plenty of memory space for games

So if anyone's bored this actually seems pretty straightforward if you know what you're doing