1.6 OG Xbox Aladdin install issues

Archive

Post by Archive » June 26th, 2019, 7:55 pm

posted by Nully on Jul 21, 2018:

I'm having an issue where the Xbox will boot retail discs, but it won't load the dashboard or burned discs. I "rebuilt" the LPC 3 times, installed the chip in another 1.6 (they are both 1.6) and it's working. Everything looks good to me, no cold joints. It has a solid yellow light after the splash screen. I can't for the life of me find a single answer to what solid yellow/orange means on Google. Didn't really want to make this thread, but I'm lost but I don't think it's an install issue, I used zer0's guide, nothing is bridged, continuity checked out fine, orientation of chip is correct. It was previously softmodded and booted my Hexen and backup game just fine so don't think it's a media issue.

DO is grounded on the screw plate, tried on the chip with no difference. Hard drive is very noisy and clunking, not sure if all the times I unplugged it finally crapped out, the splash screen is stored in the BIOS chip I think? I want to state this DID work the other day, I tried it again today and it will not boot the dashboard or backup discs.

TL;DR version

Worked fine first try other day
Got it back out today to play it
Never worked again, solid yellow light, no dashboard or backups booting
Reinstalled a few times
Still dead

Update: Desoldered header, cleaned area with alcohol and brush, resoldered header, rewired LPC, still getting solid yellow light. No traces cut, no pads lifted.

Archive

posted by Bad_Ad84 on Jul 21, 2018:

Aladdins sometimes have issues on 1.6 consoles. Work much better on these fussy consoles reflashed with bennys code (xblast or just his aladdin XT rewrite).

Are you also sure the bios on it is for 1.6 consoles?

Archive

Bad_Ad84 said:

Aladdins sometimes have issues on 1.6 consoles. Work much better on these fussy consoles reflashed with bennys code (xblast or just his aladdin XT rewrite).

Are you also sure the bios on it is for 1.6 consoles?

I have no idea actually, I assumed it worked on all versions.
I think I have a PLCC adapter somewhere around here. Do you just flash the hex onto it/is it re-writable?

Archive

I see you have to purchase an updated chip for the socket so I guess I'll have to give an update in a few weeks. It worked once, I put it away for awhile and it never worked again, not sure how that's possible.

[redacted]

One change to my story, the other xbox I tested it on is not a 1.6, I just rechecked it (I had installed one of these months ago on it)

Update: I flashed a few BIOS to it and all keep getting stuck at the splash screen with a solid yellow light.

With M8plus_16.bin I can actually boot a burned disc, but no dashboard (solid yellow light).

Final update: Flashed M8plus_16.bin to PLCC on Aladdin chip using programmer, was able to boot Hexen 2017 finally, unlocked HD (just because, not sure if that fixed the issue alone, don't remember doing anything but a simple softmod install), used BIOS flasher on disc and choose 1.6 F: only (not sure if that matters for this fix), rebooted and everything is working perfectly fine now. Not sure what actually happened here but if I had to guess, this $2 clone chip was using the an older version not supporting 1.6 like Bad_ad said. Thanks for the help! Image