10 years of GAMECUBE

Archive

10 years of GAMECUBE

Post by Archive » June 26th, 2019, 7:55 pm

posted by pstrick1 on Nov 18, 2011:

Today is the North American 10th anniversary of the Gamecube.

It went by pretty unnoticed. At least, it looks that way after scanning the gaming blogs. Nobody made a birthday cake and took a photo like the DC, alas.

It's been a good year for the GC. We got an HDD adapter and a successor to SD-Boot. We got an SD card adapter and the source code to the XENOGC. Some of the best 6th gen portables have come out this year, thanks to the aforementioned developments.

It makes me feel pretty old. I used to think people on the internet that talked about the Golden Years of their favorite consoles were just people clinging to the past, and here I am, doing the exact same thing.

My Gamecube was a Christmas gift in 2003. It was the collectors edition bundle. I also got Luigi's Mansion and a few other games. I now have a collection of around 40 games. Most of them are still great fun to play.

Favorite memory? That would have to be either defeating Ganon or watching my sister defeat King Boo. Ganon, standing in Hyrule, turning to stone and watching all he worked for crumble was unforgettable to watch. The amount of time I put into that game bordered on the compulsive.

What are your thoughts? Feelings? Obligatory ill-informed semi-incoherent posts by the brainwashed halfwits that worship Sony and M$? (I jest, I just miss the old days of the console wars. You know, before M$ and Sony stole motion controls and all the consoles became the same.)

Archive

10 years of GAMECUBE

posted by angelwolf71885 on Nov 18, 2011:

my thoughts on the game cube 10th anniversary

Nintendo sold 20 million units and called it a success
Sega sold 10 million units and called the Dreamcast a failure

if Sega had just focused on Nintendo rather then Sony ans Microsoft
then we would have had tremendously great games on the game cube

dont get me wrong game cube had some fantastic games
but real competition would of made the game cube so much better

Archive

10 years of GAMECUBE

posted by GodofHardcore on Nov 18, 2011:

Never before and never again will 2 great consoles launch just days apart

Archive

10 years of GAMECUBE

posted by HEX1GON on Nov 18, 2011:

I missed the gamecube, a lot of people just looked past this machine. I would say it was one of the best of that generation because the fact of it's build quality.
It was Nintendo's first attempt at DVD based media and or optical media for that matter, and did it very well.
It also was my first console of that generation and Super Mario Sunshine was my first game cause I loved playing the demo of it in stores. Talking about demos I would have to say that it was one of the best kiosk machines at the stores Image

I do miss seeing this console around, although it was fairly forgotten by the public.

Archive

10 years of GAMECUBE

posted by DarthCloud on Nov 18, 2011:

Cube was the last console I've really active played with. When I think about their was so much good games. Now I'm only playing major release from Nintendo. Don't really have time to play with third party release.

To this day the cube controller is still my favorite one. A shame they are removing the cube port on the new Wii/WiiU, I guess I will need to make an adapter to fix that Image before WiiU release.

My favorite game on the system is the first one I got: Star Wars: Rogue Squadron II. A was quite happy when they include it as the coop mode of the third one.

A would give a special mention to Eternal Darkness, was quite an innovative game back in the day.

At this time 10 year ago a was playing Rogue Squadron II!!! \m/

I think I going to play it again right now just to celebrate, lol

Archive

10 years of GAMECUBE

posted by la-li-lu-le-lo on Nov 19, 2011:

I got a Gamecube on launch day. It was very uneventful; it seems not many people were interested. I loved my Gamecube. I had (and still have) all 3 last generation consoles, but the Gamecube was (and still is) my favorite. I mostly play Gamecube games on my Wii these days, because I don't have a Gamecube component cable (though I'd really like one).

There are so many great GC games, but my top 3 would probably be: Luigi's Mansion, Resident Evil, and Zelda: Wind Waker. I haven't counted them in a while, but I believe I have more GC games than games for any other single console. I think I have 36 or 37.

Archive

10 years of GAMECUBE

posted by GodofHardcore on Nov 19, 2011:

Oddly Sonic Adventure 2 Battle is the Gamecube game I play the most

Archive

10 years of GAMECUBE

posted by la-li-lu-le-lo on Nov 19, 2011:

I used to have that game. The single player mode is pretty much identical to the DC version. I have the Japanese DC version now, the 10th Anniversary Special Edition. It's a good game, but it has some terrible, terrible music. The music almost ruins it, but not quite.

Archive

10 years of GAMECUBE

posted by GodofHardcore on Nov 19, 2011:

There are differences

http://sonic.wikia.com/wiki/Sonic_Adventure_2_Battle

Half way down the page

Archive

10 years of GAMECUBE

posted by 7Force on Nov 19, 2011:

The more I think about it, the more I like the Gamecube. Roque Squadron II looked incredible for the time, and so did the first GC game I ever got, Metroid Prime. My best memories of it would be Viewtiful Joe and finally beating Fire Leo after about 25 game overs, as well all those hours spent playing F-Zero GX and Ikaruga.