10 years of XBOX

Archive

10 years of XBOX

Post by Archive » June 26th, 2019, 7:56 pm

posted by Cyantist on Nov 21, 2011:

A few days after the 10th anniversary I got an xbox for free!

Anyway to play online, ie user hosted servers for games like Halo 2? Would like to play online like the DC had post its death.

Archive

10 years of XBOX

posted by takeshi385 on Nov 21, 2011:

Cyantist said:

A few days after the 10th anniversary I got an xbox for free!

Anyway to play online, ie user hosted servers for games like Halo 2? Would like to play online like the DC had post its death.

I hear its a real pain to get and xbox on to a non-official sever.

Archive

10 years of XBOX

posted by ReamaOner on Nov 21, 2011:

takeshi385 said:

Does xlink kai still support xbox 1? I haven't really used it within the last few years, I remember using it like 5 years ago on my original hardmodded xbox 1. That shit was awesome Image

Archive

10 years of XBOX

posted by jp. on Nov 22, 2011:

My second favorite time period for Microsoft as a console maker was during the first couple of years during the Xbox. I remember all sorts of weird stuff came out on that system that was actually pretty neat. I know everyone and their mother hated Azurik, but at the time I thought it was an incredibly engaging and original game, it just needed some leveling aspect or something. Nightcaster was another original title that I found to be extremely enjoyable. Also, Blood Wake, Kung Fu Chaos, Mech Assault, Brute Force, and some neat 3rd party stuff like Otogi, Phantom Crash, Gun Metal, and Sega's offerings. Hell, Star Wars: Obi-Wan is ugly as sin but was still one of the most fun Star Wars games I had ever played.

Dunno where all that creativity MS had early on went though... well, yes I do, they closed all the studios that were doing the interesting things, then let Bungie walk all over them.

Archive

10 years of XBOX

posted by mdmx on Nov 28, 2011:

The Xbox was great for multiplayer gaming. I had great times when I and my friends played Timesplitters 2 deathmatch via LAN on 4 Xbox'es.
I also remember that we played Quake 2 deathmatch - 2 Xbox users vs. 2 PC users. The PC users had an advantage with mouse and keyboard, but we switched after each round. So everyone had his chance for revenge ;-)
Another good multiplayer game was Fusion Frenzy. No stupid maps, just select a mini game and play it as often as you like. I loved the tron games and the game where you had to run up a corkscrew.

Archive

10 years of XBOX

posted by graciano1337 on Nov 28, 2011:

mdmx said:

The Xbox was great for multiplayer gaming. I had great times when I and my friends played Timesplitters 2 deathmatch via LAN on 4 Xbox'es.
I also remember that we played Quake 2 deathmatch - 2 Xbox users vs. 2 PC users. The PC users had an advantage with mouse and keyboard, but we switched after each round. So everyone had his chance for revenge ;-)
Another good multiplayer game was Fusion Frenzy. No stupid maps, just select a mini game and play it as often as you like. I loved the tron games and the game where you had to run up a corkscrew.

TWISTED SYSTEM1!!

On the Halo:CE disc there was a demo for Fuzion Frenzy and Twisted System was on there. It was always a tradition for us to, after playing Halo into the late hours of the night, play just this mini game. MOst people went to bed and a four of us would just play this game until the sun came up. xD

Archive

10 years of XBOX

posted by mdmx on Dec 4, 2011:

graciano1337 said:

TWISTED SYSTEM1!!

On the Halo:CE disc there was a demo for Fuzion Frenzy and Twisted System was on there. It was always a tradition for us to, after playing Halo into the late hours of the night, play just this mini game. MOst people went to bed and a four of us would just play this game until the sun came up. xD

that's it, thanks. That game addicted us too.

Archive

10 years of XBOX

posted by CrAzY on Dec 4, 2011:

takeshi385 said:

Shit is easy as pie unless you want to use a custom server that you made or something.

Just go with...

Xbox Connect (Xbconnect)
or
Xlink Kai.

Xbconnect I can confirm as still working great. Just don't expect a plethora of people to be on at all times. The wee hours of the morning have an average of 5 people playing (Halo 2).

Don't go on expecting to play anything online other than...

Halo 1
Halo 2
Starwars

unless you have friends willing to play other System Link games with you. Image

Fusion Frenzy, hahaha... classic. A game that was sweet to play over and over again as a demo, but owning the retail game made that shit boring fast! I love demo fascinations. ;-)

Archive

10 years of XBOX

posted by SuperGrafx on Dec 4, 2011:

I too loved Fuzion Frenzy. It was such an unexpected gem...I never would have given it a chance if it weren't for the demo.

It's a shame that Fuzion Frenzy 2 on the 360 never lived up to the same expectations.

Archive

10 years of XBOX

posted by LeGIt on Dec 5, 2011:

I didn't have an Xbox until Christmas 2002 when I got a £500 bank loan to be repaid over 6 months and bought two with two copies of Ghost Recon, Halo and MechAssault. One was for upstairs, the other down and I chose the titles for system link play. They both came with JSRF/Sega GT discs too.

I remember having a real pain in the ass when Xbox Live launched as my router wouldn't request an IP from my ISP without configuration via PC and I had no PC at the time. I was only able to get a temproary IP which lasted for about an hour before disconnect and had to faff about again -_-

I also did some challenges and got published in the Official Xbox Magazine demo competitions - even won a free copy of OutRun 2 for being so pimpin (which arrived 6 months later after a retail price drop to £20).

The Xbox 360 launched on my Birthday but I was too busy playing Battlefield 2 and World of Warcraft to care and I still didn't bother buying one yet - the S 4Gb in matte black is tempting as I hate the shitty shiny look of the other model but when I can run many Xbox games on my PC with an Xbox pad with better graphics and avoid RROD, is there any point?