10 years of Xbox360

Archive

10 years of Xbox360

Post by Archive » June 26th, 2019, 7:56 pm

posted by jp. on Nov 25, 2015:

GodofHardcore said:

Cave right after you get glasses witch (I forget her name) I THINK near the end of disc one.

No, the cave is on disc 2, but yes, it's after you get Sara. Disc 1 ends with you going to find the kids in the Crimson Forest.

But Discs 3 and 4 of LO? Man oh man that was some epic goodness, especially disc 4 which was just a roller coaster ride. But yeah, disc 2 dragged. Same thing applies to Blue Dragon, disc 1 is cool and disc 3 is great, but disc 2 is a drag.

That said, man I miss multi-disc games. For some reason I always enjoy being able to talk about large JRPGs in terms of the discs.

Archive

10 years of Xbox360

posted by HEX1GON on Nov 25, 2015:

MBMM said:

Hmm, I kinda like that title. Forum Watchdog... I really do like the ring of it.

I used to always be called that Image

Archive

10 years of Xbox360

posted by Syclopse on Nov 25, 2015:

Xbox Live for Xbox 360TM is here.
(The best just got better.)

What does that mean for you?

Planning to join the biggest party in the world?
If you're planning on purchasing an Xbox 360, congratulations! You'll have access to intelligent TrueSkill™ matchmaking, bigger and better tournaments, and very cool downloads on Xbox Live Marketplace. Gamer profiles, Spectator mode, and Message Center are just some of the new features. In other words, your entire online experience as you know it is about to change for the better ... forever.

And what's more ... transferring your current account is a piece of cake. You will keep your gamertag, stats, all your player info and instantly enjoy the rewards and privileges of an Xbox Live Gold member for the remainder of your subscription period. No hassles! One account. One gamertag. Unlimited fun. You can play on either your Xbox or Xbox 360 console. Get online now and enjoy the party!

Tips:

Get a gamer card before you register your new console which means, as soon as you plug your Xbox 360 system to a broadband connection, you are instantly online with Xbox Live. No need for a new account.
Make sure to update your personal information, credit card details and Opt in if you want to receive important information from Xbox.

Sticking with Xbox Live?
Continue to enjoy Xbox Live's amazing features. Your account won't be affected in any way. In fact, your world just got bigger with an even broader online community. Add to your Friends List. Chat with more people. Game on!

Please note that Effective November 22, we will update our Terms of Use for all gamers. The new Terms of Use will be available in the Xbox Live Dashboard and at http://www.xbox.com/en-us/live/termsofuse.htm. Your continued use of Xbox Live after November 22 constitutes your acceptance of and agreement to such changes.

If at any time you would like more information about Xbox 360 or Xbox Live, just go to http://www.xbox.com/en-US/live.

Questions?
No problem. Just check the Xbox Live support pages or Xbox FAQ's, visit our Forums (Xbox Gamers are standing by, ready to help.), or call 1-800-4MY-XBOX.

Thanks again for playing, it's great to have you on Xbox Live!

LIVE. PLAY. COMPETE. CONNECT.
Bring your game and see you online. - The Xbox Live Team

Got this email 9:36PM EST on November 22 2005

Archive

10 years of Xbox360

posted by Syclopse on Nov 25, 2015:

Does everyone remember how hard it was to get one for Christmas? I won an eBay auction back then for $1,100.00, which wasn't bad as this package sold for $1,050.00 on Amazon.
Xbox 360 Premium Bundle - Xtra Controller - 8 Games!!

Archive

10 years of Xbox360

posted by neomatrix on Nov 25, 2015:

I like the 360 for gear of war

Archive

10 years of Xbox360

posted by Conker2012 on Nov 25, 2015:

MBMM said:

F.E.A.R. 2 is decent, it just feels like a console shooter while F.E.A.R. was obviously built with the PC in mind. The A.I. in there was incredible for the time. Still holds up to a lot of other A.I.

I'll never understand why PC owners seem to think that 'console shooters' are different, even inferior to 'PC shooters'. First of all, since FEAR was released on both, then it's neither a PC nor a console shooter exclusively, and secondly, some of the best FPSs have been exclusive to consoles, and some of the best have been exclusive to PCs, so it's not like one groups is objectively better than the other, yet PC gamers seem to think that FPSs are objectively better on the PC for some (never explained) reason.

Archive

10 years of Xbox360

posted by rtv190 on Nov 25, 2015:

Syclopse said:

Does everyone remember how hard it was to get one for Christmas? I won an eBay auction back then for $1,100.00, which wasn't bad as this package sold for $1,050.00 on Amazon.
Xbox 360 Premium Bundle - Xtra Controller - 8 Games!!

at least you didn't try and get a 1st gen PS3 at christmas RIP all those parents salaries

Archive

10 years of Xbox360

posted by MBMM on Nov 26, 2015:

Conker2012 said:

I'll never understand why PC owners seem to think that 'console shooters' are different, even inferior to 'PC shooters'. First of all, since FEAR was released on both, then it's neither a PC nor a console shooter exclusively, and secondly, some of the best FPSs have been exclusive to consoles, and some of the best have been exclusive to PCs, so it's not like one groups is objectively better than the other, yet PC gamers seem to think that FPSs are objectively better on the PC for some (never explained) reason.

F.E.A.R. was originally released on PC and ported to consoles over a year later. F.E.A.R. 2 was a simultaneous release on all platforms. So I believe my statement still stands. F.E.A.R. 2 was considerably simplified. The A.I. was nowhere what it was on 1, the game was more linear, the vibe felt overly military-esque (possibly to emulate CoD, a game primarily associated with consoles), and overall the game felt easier. To me it would seem that the game was shoehorned to run the same way on consoles as PC in order to cash in on the console FPS craze that was erupting.

FPS games require quick reaction times and low latency, which mean higher framerates would be better for the experience. While id Software games on consoles have been 60 frames-per-second, the majority of console FPS games have been 30 frames-per-second, which can make things slightly harder. In addition, a mouse gives a lot more control than a joystick can. If you gave me the same FPS released on both consoles and PCs I'd choose a PC anytime because of the greater degree of control. I love console shooters for the record. I've only been a "PC gamer" since August. I still consider GoldenEye 007 to be one of the best FPS games ever made besides DOOM. I've been wrong before, and a lot of this is just my opinion.

Archive

10 years of Xbox360

posted by GodofHardcore on Nov 26, 2015:

jp. said:

No, the cave is on disc 2, but yes, it's after you get Sara. Disc 1 ends with you going to find the kids in the Crimson Forest.

But Discs 3 and 4 of LO? Man oh man that was some epic goodness, especially disc 4 which was just a roller coaster ride. But yeah, disc 2 dragged. Same thing applies to Blue Dragon, disc 1 is cool and disc 3 is great, but disc 2 is a drag.

That said, man I miss multi-disc games. For some reason I always enjoy being able to talk about large JRPGs in terms of the discs.

If games don't go all Digital (they may or may not, many are still team physical media esp in Europe) I think 2 BD games may be possible. An Elder Scrolls game so massive it's not just a single area but the entire world, and then some.

Archive

10 years of Xbox360

posted by Conker2012 on Nov 28, 2015:

MBMM said:

F.E.A.R. was originally released on PC and ported to consoles over a year later. F.E.A.R. 2 was a simultaneous release on all platforms. So I believe my statement still stands.

I suppose. I don't really agree that a delay in release makes it an exclusive, but it's a matter of opinion. But I think an important point is that the console release isn't inferior to the PC version in any important way (as far as I can remember), unlike, for example, Unreal Tournament on the PS2 (which was a great port, don't get me wrong, but it lacked many of the options of the PC version, plus of course it didn't support mods, whereas the PC version was host to countless fan-made mods, some of them superb), or a very bad console port of a PC FPS (I can't think of any offhand, but no doubt they do exist)/

F.E.A.R. 2 was considerably simplified. The A.I. was nowhere what it was on 1, the game was more linear, the vibe felt overly military-esque (possibly to emulate CoD, a game primarily associated with consoles), and overall the game felt easier. To me it would seem that the game was shoehorned to run the same way on consoles as PC in order to cash in on the console FPS craze that was erupting.

But for that to be true, the console version of F.E.A.R. 1 would have to be inferior to the PC version in a way that the console version made necessary simply because it was on the XBox 360 or PS3. But from what I remember, there was no difference (I played the first game on both PC and 360, and I can't remember any differences, though granted it's been a long time since they played them, and I can't recall if I completed the PC version, as I did the 360 version).

FPS games require quick reaction times and low latency, which mean higher framerates would be better for the experience. While id Software games on consoles have been 60 frames-per-second, the majority of console FPS games have been 30 frames-per-second, which can make things slightly harder. In addition, a mouse gives a lot more control than a joystick can. If you gave me the same FPS released on both consoles and PCs I'd choose a PC anytime because of the greater degree of control. I love console shooters for the record. I've only been a "PC gamer" since August. I still consider GoldenEye 007 to be one of the best FPS games ever made besides DOOM. I've been wrong before, and a lot of this is just my opinion.

It's true that a mouse is faster and more precise than a joypad (though the difference is nowhere near big enough to make console FPSs unplayable, though these do tend to be built around control by a joypad), and a PC version of the game potentially offers higher resolution/higher resolution/higher frame-rate (though that is all dependant on it being a good PC version, since PC ports can sometimes be terrible, though since modern consoles now allow full post-release game patching, the bug-tested standard of day one release games is getting lower on consoles too), but my point is that PC elitists act like that first person shooters can only truly be enjoyed on the PC, and that PC FPSs are somehow objectively vastly superior to console games. I'd cite Goldeneye, Perfect Dark, Timesplitters 2, and Timesplitters: Future Perfect as as good as any FPS on the PC, but as you say, that's subjective opinion.