10 years of Xbox360

Archive

10 years of Xbox360

Post by Archive » June 26th, 2019, 7:56 pm

posted by MBMM on Dec 2, 2015:

Eviltaco64 said:

Playing Sonic 06 was my punishment for playing Sonic 06 first.

I beat it, too. However I got past this nonsense:

I don't remember and I don't want to, either.

The sad part is it could have been so good. You can tell they were trying to make Sonic Adventure again, and since that's one of my favorite games, I had such high hopes. The the harsh reality struck...

Any idea if the PS3 version is better/worse? That's the one I have.

Archive

10 years of Xbox360

posted by HEX1GON on Dec 2, 2015:

proarturs said:

If the Red Ring of Death hadn't existed, I think that the Xbox 360 would have sold many more millions of units.
A lot of people, especially in the early days of the 7th gen heard terrible stories of the reliability of the Xbox 360.

Still to this day I hear people say this : "I know that the Xbox 360 has good games, but at least the PS3 won't break after a few months"
People don't easily forget things like the RROD.

PS3 did break before the slim. Both systems had horrible flaws, which were addressed in slim models. The PS3 isn't an angel either.

Archive

10 years of Xbox360

posted by Eviltaco64 on Dec 2, 2015:

MBMM said:

The sad part is it could have been so good. You can tell they were trying to make Sonic Adventure again, and since that's one of my favorite games, I had such high hopes. The the harsh reality struck...

Any idea if the PS3 version is better/worse? That's the one I have.

The PS3 version was a little more delayed and a little sloppier. Most X360->PS3 ports were back when devs were still figuring out how to program for Cell.

It's been said that Sonic Team was too overburdened by having to develop the game simultaneously for 2 platforms that they were not used to while being pushed to get both ports out the door in time for Christmas. The irony that exactly 10 years after Sonic Xtreme's cancellation, a next-gen Sonic game was being rush-developed on 2 different platforms by a skeleton crew missing projected goals and deadlines (to their credit, the X360 version did come out on time). The quality of both ports tanked as a result. It's a shame. The game had serious effort behind it's flaws.

Archive

10 years of Xbox360

posted by MBMM on Dec 2, 2015:

Eviltaco64 said:

The PS3 version was a little more delayed and a little sloppier. Most X360->PS3 ports were back when devs were still figuring out how to program for Cell.

It's been said that Sonic Team was too overburdened by having to develop the game simultaneously for 2 platforms that they were not used to while being pushed to get both ports out the door in time for Christmas. The irony that exactly 10 years after Sonic Xtreme's cancellation, a next-gen Sonic game was being rush-developed on 2 different platforms by a skeleton crew missing projected goals and deadlines (to their credit, the X360 version did come out on time). The quality of both ports tanked as a result. It's a shame. The game had serious effort behind it's flaws.

Yeah, didn't they get the Wii dev kits and split half the team to work on Sonic and the Secret Rings? At least that's what I've read. Post-hardware Sega is notorious for rushing releases.

Archive

10 years of Xbox360

posted by Eviltaco64 on Dec 2, 2015:

MBMM said:

Yeah, didn't they get the Wii dev kits and split half the team to work on Sonic and the Secret Rings? At least that's what I've read. Post-hardware Sega is notorious for rushing releases.

You know, I completely forgot about Secret Rings. Seems like the Wii was going to get a downscaled port of Sonic 06 at first, but they wanted in on the motion sensing craze at the time. In the long run, they could have made their lives a lot easier by just porting SA2's engine over from Gamecube and polishing it for slightly more capable hardware.

Come to think of it, this was also about the same time that Sonic the Hedgehog Genesis came out. A little too much on the plate to eat in one sitting.

Archive

10 years of Xbox360

posted by dclover56 on Dec 3, 2015:

Eviltaco64 said:

You know, I completely forgot about Secret Rings. Seems like the Wii was going to get a downscaled port of Sonic 06 at first, but they wanted in on the motion sensing craze at the time. In the long run, they could have made their lives a lot easier by just porting SA2's engine over from Gamecube and polishing it for slightly more capable hardware.

Come to think of it, this was also about the same time that Sonic the Hedgehog Genesis came out. A little too much on the plate to eat in one sitting.

You mean the engine from Sonic Heroes, right?

Archive

10 years of Xbox360

posted by MottZilla on Dec 3, 2015:

I enjoyed the Xbox 360 so much. Xbox Live was a big part of that. I remember playing Perfect Dark Zero online when I got the 360 and it was awesome at the time. I had never had an experience quite like it at the time. I had played some games online with the PC but that was very different from what you had going on with PDZ. For one the voice chat at the time that everybody had since it came with a headset was so cool at the time. But I recall the real reason I bought my Xbox 360 at the time was after the E3 Expo's introduction of Gears of War. I was a fan of Unreal Tournament on the PC and had probably played Unreal Tournament 2003 and maybe 2004. So when I saw GoW I decided to get into the X360.

I know I logged countless hours on the Gears of War series, Perfect Dark Zero, Call of Duty series, Fallout 3 & New Vegas, Skyrim, Reddead Redemption, Borderlands 1&2, and Mortal Kombat 9. And so many other games that I did enjoy playing but maybe didn't play as much. Just recently I had the thought to go back and play Resident Evil 4 and after trying it on the GameCube I decided instead to buy it on the 360 and enjoyed it far more on there. And I can't forget in general to mention all the Xbox Live Arcade titles. TMNT, Mortal Kombat Arcade Kollection, Smash TV, Peggle, etc.

I know I've heard that the PS4 may be a better system than the Xbox One, but I went with Xbox again anyway thanks to Xbox Live and I guess habit.

Archive

10 years of Xbox360

posted by GodofHardcore on Dec 3, 2015:

proarturs said:

If the Red Ring of Death hadn't existed, I think that the Xbox 360 would have sold many more millions of units.
A lot of people, especially in the early days of the 7th gen heard terrible stories of the reliability of the Xbox 360.

Still to this day I hear people say this : "I know that the Xbox 360 has good games, but at least the PS3 won't break after a few months"
People don't easily forget things like the RROD.

yet PS3s from the same period are prone to YLODs, Even my PS3 now freezes when loading some games (I need to swap the hard drive I think)

The reason I jumped from XBOX to playstation was the fact too many games I wanted to play were PS3 exclsuive and even if there were Japanese versions on 360 I couldn't play them on my 360. SO I got a PS3.........got accsued of fanboyism and yeah.

PS4 over XBONE........Street Fighter V and it seems PS4 is going to be THE SHMUP system this generation.

Archive

10 years of Xbox360

posted by sonicsean89 on Dec 3, 2015:

MottZilla said:

I enjoyed the Xbox 360 so much. Xbox Live was a big part of that. I remember playing Perfect Dark Zero online when I got the 360 and it was awesome at the time. I had never had an experience quite like it at the time. I had played some games online with the PC but that was very different from what you had going on with PDZ. For one the voice chat at the time that everybody had since it came with a headset was so cool at the time. But I recall the real reason I bought my Xbox 360 at the time was after the E3 Expo's introduction of Gears of War. I was a fan of Unreal Tournament on the PC and had probably played Unreal Tournament 2003 and maybe 2004. So when I saw GoW I decided to get into the X360.

I know I logged countless hours on the Gears of War series, Perfect Dark Zero, Call of Duty series, Fallout 3 & New Vegas, Skyrim, Reddead Redemption, Borderlands 1&2, and Mortal Kombat 9. And so many other games that I did enjoy playing but maybe didn't play as much. Just recently I had the thought to go back and play Resident Evil 4 and after trying it on the GameCube I decided instead to buy it on the 360 and enjoyed it far more on there. And I can't forget in general to mention all the Xbox Live Arcade titles. TMNT, Mortal Kombat Arcade Kollection, Smash TV, Peggle, etc.

I know I've heard that the PS4 may be a better system than the Xbox One, but I went with Xbox again anyway thanks to Xbox Live and I guess habit.

I think Gears of War sold a lot of systems. That's not really something you see anymore. I mean, I have an Xbox One, but there wasn't really a game that made me go "Ok, I HAVE to get this system now". The only reason I got an XB1 is because Sony hasn't made a first party game that interested me since.......Jak and Daxter? Maybe Littlebigplanet? I mean, their holiday ads show 4 games, 3 multiplats and a remake.

Archive

10 years of Xbox360

posted by MBMM on Dec 3, 2015:

sonicsean89 said:

I think Gears of War sold a lot of systems. That's not really something you see anymore. I mean, I have an Xbox One, but there wasn't really a game that made me go "Ok, I HAVE to get this system now". The only reason I got an XB1 is because Sony hasn't made a first party game that interested me since.......Jak and Daxter? Maybe Littlebigplanet? I mean, their holiday ads show 4 games, 3 multiplats and a remake.

The Last of Us and Twisted Metal didn't catch your eye? I know Uncharted isn't really everybody's cup o' tea.