10 Years...

Archive

10 Years...

Post by Archive » June 26th, 2019, 7:56 pm

posted by Shadowlayer on Jan 23, 2008:

Yesterday it was 10 years since Resident Evil 2 was released, and I got to think that during 2008 it will be 10 years since:

The original Half Life that changed FPS for ever.

The release of the Dreamcast, one of the best consoles in history, and pretty awesome while it lasted.

Zelda Ocarina of Time, the best N64 game and one of the best RPGs.

Sonic Adventure, which is one of the last great Sonic games SEGA made.

Metal Gear Solid, considered revolutionary by many.

Man, cant believe is 10 years already, what happened that time went so fast?

In all these years all I can recall as fun are just a handful of games, and thats all:-(

Archive

10 Years...

posted by karsten on Jan 22, 2008:

don't be surprised. it's the same for us all.

i guess it's a mix of bad games and nostalgia. i think i should play more the wonderful SWOS on my xbox360 Image such things make s you feel better!

like knowing that bionic commando's remake in on the way too!

Archive

10 Years...

posted by Dano2k0 on Jan 22, 2008:

I can't believe its 10 years since all that stuff, damn time does fly. Those seem like they were only released 3 years or so ago, never mind 10.

Still i think they are all good games and consoles, the dreamcast was a top machine back in its day.

Archive

10 Years...

posted by subbie on Jan 22, 2008:

Shadowlayer said:

Zelda Ocarina of Time, the best N64 game and one of the best RPGs.

Best N64 RPG? Sure
Best Action RPG? Ehh pretty close (i more prefer wind waker even tho it was easier, some prefer Majora's Mask more then OOT).
Best RPG? ***K NO

Just my two cents.

Anyways 10 years is not all that long ago. Hell in may I hit 6 years of being in the VG industry and it still feels like nothing.

I'm more impressed by games we grew up on hitting 20 or 30 year anniversary.

Archive

10 Years...

posted by Shadowlayer on Jan 22, 2008:

I said among the best, not the best.

And honestly I'm not impressed by that, since I know theres been a looong time since the Nes and Mario Bros were released, to name a few old ones.

Is just that since the end of the 32bits/beggining of the 128bit, to this year is like nothing amazing happened in VG land...

Archive

10 Years...

posted by subbie on Jan 22, 2008:

Shadowlayer said:

Is just that since the end of the 32bits/beggining of the 128bit, to this year is like nothing amazing happened in VG land...

I beg to differ. This generation is seing the rise of indie games again.

Online services like XBLA/PSN/WiiWare will really make for some awsome stuff as this generation moves forward.

What really will be awsome is when dev studios open up further to let their own coders release home projects on DL services. Some people in the industry make awsome things in their free time at home.

Archive

10 Years...

posted by GaijinPunch on Jan 23, 2008:

In 5 years or so, some kid's going to make a similar post about the PS2 and how it changed gaming. The DC was a cool machine, but it definitely had it's faults, and an overall underwhelming library. Still has some gems. I still think the 32-bit machines were the culmination.

Archive

10 Years...

posted by the_steadster on Jan 23, 2008:

GaijinPunch said:

In 5 years or so, some kid's going to make a similar post about the PS2 and how it changed gaming. The DC was a cool machine, but it definitely had it's faults, and an overall underwhelming library. Still has some gems. I still think the 32-bit machines were the culmination.

Whoa, thats an opinion I never thought I'd hear here!
I completely agree - The DC has some greats, but it suffers from almost martyr-ism combined with good old rose-tinted glasses - it's dead so it must have been good.
In my opinion, the DC did have some greats, but the majority of the 1st party catalogue were arcade conversions which just aren't designed for long play sessions (Sega Rally/Daytona/Crazy Taxi/Sega Fishing/numerous fighters/Virtua ***) Might work somewhere but not here - people buy games with stories and a story-line, or games specifically developed for consoles, not the half-way house of an Arcade conversion.
I really don't think the DC had any more or less great games than the majority of consoles of its time -the PS1, PS2, N64 and saturn all rank pretty close to me.

Not sure if that was a coherent rant, but I still just don't see the big deal of the DC

Archive

10 Years...

posted by Shadowlayer on Jan 23, 2008:

subbie said:

I beg to differ. This generation is seing the rise of indie games again.

That may fill the void.

GaijinPunch said:

In 5 years or so, some kid's going to make a similar post about the PS2 and how it changed gaming

Under that theory I should be talking about the Genesis/Snes, and not the DC...

I just mentioned it becos it was released in 1998 and SEGA peaked after that, no more, no less.

the_steadster said:

Might work somewhere but not here - people buy games with stories and a story-line, or games specifically developed for consoles, not the half-way house of an Arcade conversion.

And heres when it gets awkward: on one hand you got these elaborated games with hollywood-quality stories (sometimes even better) yet most people play them once and leave them behind.

On the other hand theres all this people playing arcade-like games on the Wii and XBLA, making these two highly profitable.

Now I'm not going to be a liar and say "the story doesnt matters" since for me it does (hell, I only played the Halo series for the story, nuff said) but numbers are numbers and it seems to me that most of the market is going casual/arcade nowadays...

Archive

10 Years...

posted by Mr. Casual on Jan 23, 2008:

How is OOT considered to be an RPG?

Unless its like the old term Emo and new term of emo, it really isn't an RPG, because you're playing the role of someone else's character, in this case, its Shigeru Miyamoto's. That would be like saying Super Mario Bros. is an RPG because you're playing the Role of a mustached Italian plumber.

I might come off as an oldbie, but I didn't learn the difference between RPG and REAL RPGs until recently myself, where RPGs used to mean you played the role of your OWN character, but I digress.

I know certain gaming sites might refer to some games like action RPGs, but they really technically aren't true RPGs.

Just look at my sig. Its not me just being goofy, but its based on how the term has changed.