100 Things Your Kids May Never Know About

Archive

Post by Archive » June 26th, 2019, 7:56 pm

posted by Christer-swe on Sep 30, 2010:

I'll add another thing to the list: the penny/50-öring or what have you. These small coins will soon be a thing of the past.

Archive

posted by GaijinPunch on Sep 30, 2010:

Alchy said:

Vinyl is dying rapidly, at least for mixing purposes. I remember it wasn't that many years ago that anything other than proper decks and vinyl was scoffed at and laptop mixing was a joke (and before that, BPM counters were considered cheating). The last rave I went to, anyone who played a set used their laptop (usually Ableton) or the CD decks. Not a record in sight.

Honestly, I'm surprised it took this long. Records are big, heavy, and get worn out (never mind all the costs and hassle associated with good decks); who wants that when there's viable alternatives?

Well, if there's a group that can bicker more than dorks like us, it's the DJ crowd. Analogue vs Digital, CDJ vs. Midi, etc. etc. I like the fact that I can use all three (even mixed if I had to). The fact is that analogue will not only cost you about 5x per track (unless you happen to like the B-side and then it's only 3x) the aforementioned weight and space come in to play. That and I've found looping via MIDI and CDJ to be invaluable.

Honestly, the only one I don't like is Live, unless you're dropping your own tracks. It is very boring to watch someone dick around on an APC40, and I've talked to plenty of people that say it's not very exciting for them either. I'm learning how to do it to make mixes of tracks I simply "can't" mix b/c they're not my style (but I still want to listen to) but all the prep work that goes in turns me off big time.

The amount of money that some of my mates used to blow on vinyl always surprised me. They couldn't afford rent but they'd always have a bunch of new records. Being able to mix MP3s or burned CDs changes that drastically.

Yeah, I was in that crowd. Records here were about 1000 yen a pop (that's a single w/ 2 or 3 tracks on it, but usually only 1 you gave a shit about) back when I was buying. None of them ever had any resale value more than 100 yen (usually 10 yen though). Now they're 1500 yen for the same deal. A friend of mine I still see from time to time says he got rid of about half of his and is down to 4000. He lives in the city too. :-0:-0:-0 The thing is, that really hard music from the late 90's just hasn't aged that well.

Archive

posted by Alchy on Oct 1, 2010:

GaijinPunch said:

Honestly, the only one I don't like is Live, unless you're dropping your own tracks. It is very boring to watch someone dick around on an APC40, and I've talked to plenty of people that say it's not very exciting for them either. I'm learning how to do it to make mixes of tracks I simply "can't" mix b/c they're not my style (but I still want to listen to) but all the prep work that goes in turns me off big time.

Ableton can be useful for DJing things that are otherwise difficult to control (breaks), but I agree, watching someone mixing anything four-to-the-floor with Ableton is just tedious. Why bother with the human element at all?

I'm a little surprised to hear that second-hand vinyl prices are so low in Japan. My mate's made a decent bit of cash over the last few years selling his rarer electronic stuff, I was stunned at the demand on ebay for some of it.

Archive

posted by ave on Oct 1, 2010:

GaijinPunch said:

A friend of mine I still see from time to time says he got rid of about half of his and is down to 4000. He lives in the city too. :-0:-0:-0

Have you seen Tokyo Eyes (1997)?
In the film, he lives in walking distance to Shibuya - you should know the locations. Pretty insane vinyl collection he has, must be 10.000+. Lots of gaming allusions as well.

But btt. Image

Archive

posted by GaijinPunch on Oct 1, 2010:

There are a handful of used vinyl shops in Shibuya still, an even at least two that carry new stuff. Cisco had 3 or 4 shops on a corner: 1 House, 1 Techno, 1 R&B/Reggae, and I think a used one. All of them, gone. I know a few people that still only buy records but they're limited in what they can actually buy (plenty of small labels that can't afford the vinyl press).

As for the resale value, obviously if you have something rare and in demand you may get some dough for it, but the 30 or so records I saved from God knows when only have sentimental value. No way would they sell much of anything at all... as per before, that music is hardly in demand.

Archive

posted by Alchy on Oct 1, 2010:

GaijinPunch said:

I know a few people that still only buy records

Seriously?

I don't think I've ever met anyone who only bought vinyl. For normal playback it's a gigantic pain in the ass, and since almost all modern music is mastered from digital the "analogue warmth" of vinyl is little more than muddiness from the analogue phase (I recognise I'm venturing into the DJ dork-bickering you warned about, though, so I'll stop there).

Archive

posted by Cyantist on Oct 2, 2010:

Cash will never be obsolete. A few years ago when SQL Spammer hit the Korean banks and nobody could draw out money they were lucky and didnt care as they had physical money. So there were no widespread problems. Make cash obsolete and you could be looking at widespread rioting in the event something did happen.

On the subject of wires. ITS NOT FUCKING WIRELESS IF YOU NEED A RECEIVER. I have Phillips headphones. You go a fucking CM out of its range and BZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

Archive

posted by Alchy on Oct 2, 2010:

Cyantist said:

ITS NOT FUCKING WIRELESS IF YOU NEED A RECEIVER.

Show me a wireless system that doesn't have a transmitter and a receiver.

Archive

posted by 7Force on Oct 2, 2010:

Looking at this and the 3D Star Wars thread made me realize that people only a few years younger than me won't remember a time when the prequels didn't exist. That's depressing

Archive

posted by alecjahn on Oct 2, 2010:

On the subject of vinyl, I think Jeff Price of Tambersauro put it perfectly.

Q. There are probably tons of kids who have never heard a record played on a record player. Describe the sound and experience to a generation of iPod carriers.

There is nothing that sounds quite like a physical needle digging into actual bumps in a slab of wax and making sounds come out. The tactile nature of the technology lends a warmth to the music that is lacking in digital recordings. To me, analog (vinyl) records just sound more inviting, although I think this has a lot to do with the presentation of vinyl as well.

In terms of aesthetics, there's no question that vinyl is the best medium for the recording as an art object. It's a material matter -- there's simply more square inch for you to work with than a CD or cassette. Releasing a translucent powder-blue vinyl record with a triple-gatefold, burgundy-cardstock record sleeve and a hand-made papyrus insert, or what have you, is going to beat the pants off a CD version every time. Even if you replicate it in CD format, you've lost about three-quarters of the surface area, which will obscure details and just not be quite as impressive.

Courtesy photo
Tambersauro's record, One Picture Frame and One Half of a Picture.

That was one of the factors that finally convinced us it was worth paying for a record. You couldn't see the little ripples on the cover photo as well if it had to be five inches across; an orange-and-white marbled vinyl record looks much cooler than a CD that will be silver on the bottom no matter what you do.

Moreover, the very fact that a record is mostly immobile -- you can only listen to it within relative proximity to the turntable on your stereo -- makes you focus on the act of listening. Since technology has so acclimated us to instant access and a startling degree of transience, it's a fairly radical notion for kids to have to actually sit still in one place and focus on the machine making the music come out. It's much easier to sit down and really wrap your ears around someone's songs if you aren't perpetually doing something else, as one usually is when sporting an iPod. To me, it helps recover the particularity of listening to music and the rewards that brings. Throw in some decent packaging and you've got a nice little memento of your adolescence and hopefully beyond.

As much as rock and roll regards itself as a vehicle of revolution, there's a pretty strong tradition of kids sitting around in their room, spinning records, building memories.

Now that CDs are no longer the most efficient means of transferring music, I think they will go the way of the 8-track. Those who value the whole presentation of an album as a work of art will return to vinyl; those looking for the soundtrack to their school day or workout will continue with iTunes and other mp3 providers. I'd love to see some label cook up a way to sell a record and include a pass for one download of the album; that way, you can enjoy the full expression of the album as art object, while still having easy access to the tunes.

I like archaic formats because they force you to listen to music. Y'know, LISTEN TO THE MUSIC. Instead of using it to fill space. You're not doing the artist or their art justice (it's like playing a game half-assed, skipping the cut scenes, and never finishing it and then thinking you have an opinion about it). Tapes are more portable, yeah, but you still only have one album in the space that you can have thousands in digital formats.