100 Things Your Kids May Never Know About

Archive

Post by Archive » June 26th, 2019, 7:56 pm

posted by GaijinPunch on Aug 1, 2009:

let the rest of the internet enlighten you

Don't need to. As a former DJ and still perveyer of music, I can tell you for a fact on the world DJing scene, CDs are king. The vinyl turntables are there as a nod to the old days only. Vinyl was one nitche of the music market that was somewhat immune to piracy b/c you couldn't DJ with CDs and definitley not MP3s. Those days are over though, and most of those record stores are done for... Tokyo's Cisco being the most notable. Once boasting 4 shops in one corner in Shibuya, it now has a 0.

There's now hardware to interface to software (like Live) to completely do away with CDs down the road.

Archive

posted by Jamtex on Aug 1, 2009:

GodofHardcore said:

let the rest of the internet enlighten you

And yes, everythingg you read on the internet is true...

If you bother to get your head out your arse and did some proper research you will note that the resurgence is still <1% of the total music market and the figures are only for the projected sales for this year.

If you research further you will notice that this decade vinyl sales have averaged around 2m a year anyway and there have been yearly peaks too, it's increased since the mid to late 90s but the increase is tiny, so not a massive increase in vinyl sales, a massive increase would be going from 2m to 10m sales (and even that would still be a fraction of the total music sales in the US...).

There has also been research to show that a lot of people buying vinyl today are doing so for the collectability of it rather then to listen to...

there are other online Vinyl only music stores but I can't find them.

None of whom are giving sales since the late 90s to show the 'massive' increase....

If Vinyl is dead it's one pissed off Zombie[/quote]

Archive

posted by Eviltaco64 on Sep 28, 2010:

This list isn't exactly true. It all depends on how spoiled children are. If they receive iPods, phones, cars, GPSes, and computers for free, then they won't be dependent on the Walkman, payphones, bikes/walking, maps, and books.

For example, I'm 17 and somehow I've had rotary dial TVs from the 70s as my prominent TV, cassette Walkman players, a 78RPM record player, powerful analog steroes, and classic video game consoles (from Pong to SNES).

All of these things are completely obsolete and almost foreign to my age group, but I'm somehow very familiar with all of them. Image

Archive

posted by Alchy on Sep 28, 2010:

GodofHardcore said:

I disagree on VInyl it's making a HUGE comeback

Vinyl is dying rapidly, at least for mixing purposes. I remember it wasn't that many years ago that anything other than proper decks and vinyl was scoffed at and laptop mixing was a joke (and before that, BPM counters were considered cheating). The last rave I went to, anyone who played a set used their laptop (usually Ableton) or the CD decks. Not a record in sight.

Honestly, I'm surprised it took this long. Records are big, heavy, and get worn out (never mind all the costs and hassle associated with good decks); who wants that when there's viable alternatives? The amount of money that some of my mates used to blow on vinyl always surprised me. They couldn't afford rent but they'd always have a bunch of new records. Being able to mix MP3s or burned CDs changes that drastically.

Archive

posted by Johnny on Sep 28, 2010:

That's list is very cool. Brought me some memories.

Archive

posted by K-Panggg on Sep 28, 2010:

Gasalla

Archive

posted by Johnny on Sep 28, 2010:

GaijinPunch said:

Dont't forget masturbating to a still picture like a magazine. I miss the simple days.

:lol:

Jamtex said:

And yes, everythingg you read on the internet is true...

Kevin Butler - "You can't believe everything you read on the Internet. That's how World War I got started."

Archive

posted by ServiceGames on Sep 28, 2010:

GaijinPunch said:

Dont't forget masturbating to a still picture like a magazine. I miss the simple days.

You are high. It is dead as of a few years ago.

Sometimes I like to hit print screen and make a single frame printout to jerk off onto, just to remind myself that we really ought to be doing more about poverty stricken third world nations and their obvious deficiencies in the realm of masturbatory materials...

Archive

posted by alecjahn on Sep 28, 2010:

Good thing I plan on doing cooler shit instead of having kids. Image

Still, I love cassettes of all kinds and their removal from society does not thrill me.

Archive

posted by Christer-swe on Sep 29, 2010:

andoba said:

80. Starbuck being a man.

Until this year no one knew starbucks.

They're referring to Battlestar Galactica, where in the original version Starbuck is a man, but in the reboot of 2004, Starbuck is a woman.