100V stepdown mess solution?

Archive

Post by Archive » June 26th, 2019, 7:56 pm

posted by ZueriHB on Dec 3, 2008:

I think many Europeans which import game consoles from overseas, be it the USA or Japan, have the same problem.

A cluttering of stepdown converters for each system without a usable EU-AC-Adapter (Like Famicom, Super Famicom, FDS, Dreamcast, PS2, etc)

Are there any power bars or stepdown converters which can power more than one console, so that only one or two converters will be needed. Instead of one for every device (Just think of a MegaCD32X).

Has anyone had experiences with a solution to this 'PAL-Land-Problem'? As my collection of import system grows, also does the need for additional power bricks.

btw: Prais to consoles with external power bricks with EU-equivalents (X360, GC, Wii, N64)

Archive

posted by alphagamer on Dec 3, 2008:

i have a 200w stepdown converter with 2 sockets.

Archive

posted by Treamcaster on Dec 3, 2008:

Lol, I have the same problem! Hopefully there might be a way...

Archive

posted by alphagamer on Dec 3, 2008:

also when possible i fit an european psu in the console.

Archive

posted by retro on Dec 3, 2008:

Umm, I have a heavy duty step-down that'll power any console. I just use the original PSU that came with the console. When I want to use the console, I plug it in. There's no reason to leave more than one plugged in at a time - you can't play them both at once, and you shouldn't leave devices plugged in when unused anyway!

If you REALLY wanted to, you could swap most PSUs for a local equivalent. As you said, some of the custom ones (e.g. N64, Gamecube) are swappable. Others use standard connectors (Mega Drive/Genesis, Super Famicom (not American SNES), NES etc.) so you can replace the PSU with either a genuine one in your country, or go to your local electronics store and get something that outputs the same voltage and current (note: you can go over the current rating, but not under).

So yeah, either replace the PSU or have a single, decent step-down that'll power whichever console you want to use at the time ;-)

Archive

posted by ZueriHB on Dec 3, 2008:

Super Famicom does not like European power supplies, and with a 3rd Party, it has scrolling artefacts on the screen, and the sound humms.

Also I do not like to un-and replug JAP/US powersupplies, those prongs seem to be a lot less sturdy than European ones.

Great would be a Step-Down converter with a power switch, and connecting a power bar or what those things are called in English.

Archive

posted by babu on Dec 3, 2008:

I just got me one of these:

Archive

posted by arnoldlayne on Dec 3, 2008:

alphagamer said:

also when possible i fit an european psu in the console.

That's exactly what I did to my jap xbox/ps2's (two of em') and dreamcast consoles. Ideally, go for the multi-voltage ones which auto-regulate the power so there really is no worry of ever blowing something up, wherever you travel.

The Gamecube doesn't fall into this category as you can use a EU psu on a Jap/US console (I think that's the case with all Nintendo consoles, as the psu is always external?)

The only internal psu I couldn't buy for a console for was for my Jap saturn... Does anyone know if they ever existed (110-240v internal replacable psu that auto regulates) ?

I'd love to know.

btw/ If anyone's ever worried about using a chinese replacement psu over things like poor quality products/etc...

My jap xbox (yes, they do exist!) had a replacement psu fitted about 6 years ago and finally blew up around 8 months ago. I always pulled out the power chord to plug stuff in so I'd always hear that 'burst' of electricty (spike) whenever I unplugged it. Eventually I guess it got too much (my xbox was my media center for all those years, used everyday....and then some) Anyway, I replaced it a few months later and it's up and running again, as before.

Bottom line - those things aren't cheaply made and they can take a heck of a lot of use. I'd go so far as to say the Chinese psu was probably better made than the original psu it came with.

Archive

posted by retro on Dec 3, 2008:

ZueriHB said:

Super Famicom does not like European power supplies, and with a 3rd Party, it has scrolling artefacts on the screen, and the sound humms.

If you get hum, and it is only with a 3rd party PSU, then you haven't bought the right PSU!

You need the right voltage, AT LEAST the right current, AC or DC (IMPORTANT as SNES/NES use AC, not DC which is the more common for a generic PSU) and note whether the original was regulated or unregulated. The console usually handles regulation.

Come to think of it, you should get a European PSU that works fine. Check the specs on the Japanese one, but I'm sure we used them no problem. And that the replacement ones we sold were marked NES / Super Nintendo / Super Famicom, IIRC - it is possible they had an AC/DC switch, though. If your SF doesn't work with either official or unofficial PSUs, then I would wonder if your console has a fault... that or you have the wrong spec PSU. Definately check the specs on the original PSU carefully before getting a local replacement.

Archive

posted by Calpis on Dec 3, 2008:

All you need is a good 220:110V transformer and a power strip.

If the A/V hums, you've got a transmission line problem; make sure everything is connected to the same ground.