13 and already thinking of moving to japan

Archive

Post by Archive » June 26th, 2019, 7:56 pm

posted by adamhouse9999 on Nov 23, 2014:

2/3 of the jobs i have thought of involved leaning Japanese and Japanese culture and move to japan one of them involves getting a job at monolith soft and becoming a director and producer, my dream is to create a game with a story as deep
as most games that company has produced but i want it to appeal to at least Europeans hopefully the US enough to make it popular and make people buzz about it this will mean the game won't have any Japanese elements unless hidden and
no revealing armor or characters with how society here reacts with anything sex-related, i want to be a large role in creating the story and do some concept art but getting that job is the most unrealistic. my second thought and the most realistic
thought is getting a job at nintendo's hardware department and create prototypes of future controllers, handhelds, accessories, and design the insides so where all the components go and suggesting ideas or things to leave out. my third which does not
involve moving to japan is becoming a attorney and focus defending the industry when i think it's right and getting rid of stereotypes which i despise. if anyone got ant tips or suggestions about moving to japan please let me know ether job i choose i
will try my hardest to help this interactive industry which has always been suffering from society and hatred which i believe has a HUGE amount of potential

Archive

posted by GaijinPunch on Nov 23, 2014:

Hmm...

I don't want to squash your dreams, but think of a few other things.

1) By the time you're out of University and able to actually move to Japan (roughly 10 years from now) the industry will likely be someplace entirely different. It might even be better than now. Probably not, but maybe...
1b) You're going to be an entirely different person. Some people stick w/ their hobbies from such a young age, but I don't think it's the norm. This is coming from someone that's spent more years in Japan than you've spent alive, btw. Image

2) Many people have thought/tried the same thing. It's not easy. There are a handful of franchises in the big picture which are popular enough to make money in a single geographical market that aren't based on fan-service. Asia, Europe, and North America? That's like climbing everest.

3) See the other thread about working in a) Japanese companies and b) Japanese game companies. It's no picnic, by any stretch. Maybe by the time you're employable there will be a large presence of western game developers in Japan, *OR* Japan catches on and realizes the top-heavy model of the bubble is a one way ticket to exactly where they're heading now.

My advice is pretty simple: Do what you want to do and become awesome at it. If you can do a study abroad in Uni, do that and go from there. Seriously gotta get your feet wet first. Japan hasn't really done anything to help it's economy in the last 10 years, and there's a good chance they don't do any in the next 10 years either, sadly.

Archive

posted by adamhouse9999 on Nov 24, 2014:

GaijinPunch said:

Hmm...

I don't want to squash your dreams, but think of a few other things.

1) By the time you're out of University and able to actually move to Japan (roughly 10 years from now) the industry will likely be someplace entirely different. It might even be better than now. Probably not, but maybe...
1b) You're going to be an entirely different person. Some people stick w/ their hobbies from such a young age, but I don't think it's the norm. This is coming from someone that's spent more years in Japan than you've spent alive, btw. Image

2) Many people have thought/tried the same thing. It's not easy. There are a handful of franchises in the big picture which are popular enough to make money in a single geographical market that aren't based on fan-service. Asia, Europe, and North America? That's like climbing everest.

3) See the other thread about working in a) Japanese companies and b) Japanese game companies. It's no picnic, by any stretch. Maybe by the time you're employable there will be a large presence of western game developers in Japan, *OR* Japan catches on and realizes the top-heavy model of the bubble is a one way ticket to exactly where they're heading now.

My advice is pretty simple: Do what you want to do and become awesome at it. If you can do a study abroad in Uni, do that and go from there. Seriously gotta get your feet wet first. Japan hasn't really done anything to help it's economy in the last 10 years, and there's a good chance they don't do any in the next 10 years either, sadly.

ty i have been aware that there are some really bad reasons to live there but naturally i was thinking the positives, mainly how society is different in the good respects and they don't have all the big stereotypes we have in the west

Archive

posted by Marmotta on Nov 24, 2014:

FYI, Monolith are an American developer, so moving to Japan wouldn't help in that regard.

Also, Japan is the king of stereotyping. However, unlike most western stereotypes, a lot of them have no basis in reality.

Archive

posted by 7Force on Nov 24, 2014:

Marmotta said:

FYI, Monolith are an American developer, so moving to Japan wouldn't help in that regard.

You're thinking of the wrong Monolith (the developers of Blood and F.E.A.R.), Monolith Soft is Japanese and made Xenoblade Chronicles...and Disaster: Day of Crisis, but unfortunately nobody else remembers that game.

Archive

posted by ave on Nov 24, 2014:

adamhouse9999 said:

mainly how society is different in the good respects and they don't have all the big stereotypes we have in the west

I think you need to do more research. There are forum members who lived in Japan and know much more about the life there than me, so I'm not going to say a lot - but I think you are sort of having a skewed image of reality of game development if your "most realistic job ambition" is to become a prototype developer in Nintendo of Japan's R&D quarters.

Archive

posted by HEX1GON on Nov 25, 2014:

When I was 13 I wanted to do a lot of things, I think a lot of us did. Then you realise money, time and energy are major factors. Best to make the choice when you're actually an adult and know where your life stands. You have no clue whatsoever at 13... Trust me.

Archive

posted by Braintrash on Nov 25, 2014:

7Force said:

Disaster: Day of Crisis, but unfortunately nobody else remembers that game.

I do.

Archive

posted by retro on Nov 25, 2014:

You might want to concentrate on learning to write English first. Punctuation and paragraphs are important to make text legible, especially on forums.

Your posts tend to have very odd spacing. You might want to ask your English teacher for some pointers, as it makes your posts really hard to follow.

Archive

posted by adamhouse9999 on Nov 26, 2014:

HEX1GON said:

When I was 13 I wanted to do a lot of things, I think a lot of us did. Then you realise money, time and energy are major factors. Best to make the choice when you're actually an adult and know where your life stands. You have no clue whatsoever at 13... Trust me.

i know even know i was allot more of a noob a few years ago i really need to stop my fantasy's

retro said:

You might want to concentrate on learning to write English first. Punctuation and paragraphs are important to make text legible, especially on forums.

Your posts tend to have very odd spacing. You might want to ask your English teacher for some pointers, as it makes your posts really hard to follow.

Yeah... and i seriously need to improve my maths as well, i have been studying in my head how my maths teacher and the teaching assistant teach and help and they are not good at all dammit i'm really getting off topic.