13 and already thinking of moving to japan

Archive

Post by Archive » June 26th, 2019, 7:56 pm

posted by adamhouse9999 on Nov 27, 2014:

Calpis said:

Electronics is probably the most difficult career path in this thread. It takes a lifetime to get caught up to speed with celebrated engineers.

Entering electronics you'll have to learn to program, there isn't a way out of it today. Everything is digital, microcontrollers are everywhere, even traditionally analog domains are being moved to digital signal processing, you'll need to write your own tools for calculations, etc etc. Don't give up on it just yet. I didn't like programming when I started, and to this day programmers are one of my most hated groups, but programming is an indispensable tool, I couldn't live without it today.

Here's my story: I didn't know what I wanted to do. At 13 I burned out at school so I coasted through grades 8-12 and didn't take the curriculum or my future very seriously. From 10 to 16 I studied Japanese (6 years at a weekend "Japanese school", 2 years in school) and developed IT skills, thinking together they might get me somewhere. At 16 I put Japanese aside and focused on IT since it seemed more practical and I still wasn't conversational in Japanese. I never considered engineering for myself, I guess because I was lazy, more artistic than scientific and didn't have any engineers in my life.

At 17 I had an internship at a software company and only then did I realize that programming was accessible to me. I started self-studying electronics, with an emphasis on digital systems to better understand video games. At 19 I went to school for computer engineering, had poor instruction but managed to further my digital electronics and programming skills on my own time, and got an introduction to analog electronics, which I thumbed my nose at (since the world is now digital, or so I thought). I graduated, the recession started, I got a crappy enterprise programming job after a few years, lost it, and have struggled to get by in the last 4 years with hardware projects. Every day for the last 10 years I've self studied something to do with computer engineering.

My interest is still primarily in digital systems, but it's taken me this far to see the importance and wonder of analog, and along with it the importance of math and physics. (Computers are analog, however hard we try to ignore this fact.)

Today I wish I took my analog, optics and math classes way more seriously, because every bit of insight is precious to me now with my ambitious projects. I wish I chose to take AP classes in high school. I wish I was shown the importance and application of math beyond algebra in my earlier years.

I've since learned that engineering curriculum sucks, and that most engineers have a way of oversimplifying problems--and this carries into instructors glossing over fundamental concepts at school, and failing to associate one concept to the next. Be prepared to learn everything the hard way, because in engineering instructors are often as ignorant as their students at many subjects. You have to know their limitations as well as your own.

Take it from me, if you're serious about your career, don't dismiss any field of study because it seems irrelevant, just learn everything you can with an open mind, and do your best to retain it. Make sure you learn on your own AND with instruction, you'll probably need both to get anywhere.

...I..I gotten so far than other choices, but is this what i want to do for a living or just a hobby?... Hobby, no matter what i want to do for a living want to help the industry that is my life's goal; if not change society but that is unlikely i have no interest in creating music which i have tried, the movie industry is too big and mainstream, the book industry is in desperate need of rebooting and not evolving but i don't think i'm the one but i can think of ideas, politics i could do but i would have to massively improve i every subject, as i've said before i believe the industry has truly amazing potential but i just don't know what to do...

Archive

posted by retro on Nov 27, 2014:

There's a reason some GCSEs are compulsory - they're the important ones - maths, science and English.

You're not going to get a decent job without maths and English - you need to be able to talk to customers / colleagues and, unless you're working in McDonald's perhaps, write coherently. You need to be able to add - if you're handing a customer change or ordering electronics parts, you need maths. And that's oversimplifying matters.

Others - choose subjects that interest you. The grades are more important than the subjects. It's your degree that's important. Universities don't give a shit what you took at GCSE, they care that you got so many points in your A levels. And, to a certain degree, that's it. Yup, it probably doesn't matter too much which subjects you took at A level - obviously there are certain pre-requisites for certain courses. You might not even go the degree route, though. If you wanted to be a hairdresser or a mechanic, there are important skills you'd need to learn but you learn them at college. So perhaps business studies is a good option if you don't know what you want to do, as it will give you practical knowledge that's good in any industry.

You're 13 - you're not SUPPOSED to know what you want to do for a living in probably 8 years time. I wanted to be an archaeologist when I was at primary school, then I wanted to make the graphics for video games at your age (remember, SNES era) - there were no courses for that so the school's careers computer threw up graphic designer, which sounded cool. At 16, I wanted to be a TV/film make-up artist, doing special effects. At 18, I was interested in making guitars (a luthier) and I got into sound engineering. That's what I studied, and did do for a while. I ended up in computer repair, though.

Archive

posted by adamhouse9999 on Nov 27, 2014:

retro said:

There's a reason some GCSEs are compulsory - they're the important ones - maths, science and English.

You're not going to get a decent job without maths and English - you need to be able to talk to customers / colleagues and, unless you're working in McDonald's perhaps, write coherently. You need to be able to add - if you're handing a customer change or ordering electronics parts, you need maths. And that's oversimplifying matters.

Others - choose subjects that interest you. The grades are more important than the subjects. It's your degree that's important. Universities don't give a shit what you took at GCSE, they care that you got so many points in your A levels. And, to a certain degree, that's it. Yup, it probably doesn't matter too much which subjects you took at A level - obviously there are certain pre-requisites for certain courses. You might not even go the degree route, though. If you wanted to be a hairdresser or a mechanic, there are important skills you'd need to learn but you learn them at college. So perhaps business studies is a good option if you don't know what you want to do, as it will give you practical knowledge that's good in any industry.

You're 13 - you're not SUPPOSED to know what you want to do for a living in probably 8 years time. I wanted to be an archaeologist when I was at primary school, then I wanted to make the graphics for video games at your age (remember, SNES era) - there were no courses for that so the school's careers computer threw up graphic designer, which sounded cool. At 16, I wanted to be a TV/film make-up artist, doing special effects. At 18, I was interested in making guitars (a luthier) and I got into sound engineering. That's what I studied, and did do for a while. I ended up in computer repair, though.

Because of GCSE and upper school and my age i thought i found what i was going to do with a living, goes to show that i have made tremendous progress when it comes to maturity but it goes to show i'm still the noob a year ago just more experienced and knowing well looks like i just have to pull myself together and if i have to say what i want to do i would say business studies, now to focus on school and social skills (at school i'm that type of person who stands in a corner at break & lunch who doesn't have any friends and doesn't talk also i was born with a stammer which is getting sorted) schools seriously needs to show the importance to staying attention and this isn't the first time i have heard it the improvement would be tremendous but hay, i'm just some random thirteen year old.

Archive

posted by retro on Nov 27, 2014:

To be fair, whilst social skills are important and it's good to be able to make friends, you're at least not doing any harm by keeping your head down and getting on with it. You'll have opportunities to make friends in college, university, work, clubs etc.

Schools want you to get good grades, but they're not going to tell you that it doesn't really matter at this stage what subjects you take. It's best to choose something that you think you'll be able to do, want to do and will benefit you somehow. It's not until after you get your GCSEs that you make the big decision - A levels, to aim for university, or vocational qualifications?

Archive

posted by GaijinPunch on Nov 27, 2014:

retro said:

You're not going to get a decent job without maths and English - you need to be able to talk to customers / colleagues and, unless you're working in McDonald's perhaps

Actually McDonald's workers in Japan are quite articulate and polite.

Archive

posted by HEX1GON on Nov 27, 2014:

GaijinPunch said:

Actually McDonald's workers in Japan are quite articulate and polite.

Wish I could say the same for McDonalds here. It's really a mixed bag. I've had my order thrown at me a few times.

Archive

posted by adamhouse9999 on Nov 28, 2014:

retro said:

To be fair, whilst social skills are important and it's good to be able to make friends, you're at least not doing any harm by keeping your head down and getting on with it. You'll have opportunities to make friends in college, university, work, clubs etc.

Schools want you to get good grades, but they're not going to tell you that it doesn't really matter at this stage what subjects you take. It's best to choose something that you think you'll be able to do, want to do and will benefit you somehow. It's not until after you get your GCSEs that you make the big decision - A levels, to aim for university, or vocational qualifications?

well for now i will do business studys, also my mum always nags me in one way or another to act social and i would like to make friends in university, or collage, or once i start working but she thinks unless i try i won't be social at interviews or i won't have a girlfriend, i know i know it's a matter proving myself

Archive

posted by Eviltaco64 on Nov 28, 2014:

Your desire to expatriate half way across the globe shows an independent streak. Be ready to leave your life and the bulk of your possessions back home.

If you get to uni and (most importantly) succeed there, look into the option of studying abroad. In most instances, you have to be a junior in your major... If you make it that far into the coursework, it shows that you are serious about it seeing it through. Tech-related majors (CS/EE/CE) would work to your advantage, many of them have study abroad programs based in Japan, China, or South Korea.

If you make it that far, it will be nothing like you expected it to be, but you will at least be able to fulfill your original goal and you will learn very much along the way.

You can take advice from a bunch of condescending oldheads like us, but it only goes so far. Only you know what you're capable of and what you want to do. Just don't get exhausted, give up, and conform to the sheepish wills of the masses.

Archive

posted by pato on Nov 28, 2014:

Eviltaco64 said:

Your desire to expatriate half way across the globe shows an independent streak. Be ready to leave your life and the bulk of your possessions back home.

If you get to uni and (most importantly) succeed there, look into the option of studying abroad. In most instances, you have to be a junior in your major... If you make it that far into the coursework, it shows that you are serious about it seeing it through. Tech-related majors (CS/EE/CE) would work to your advantage, many of them have study abroad programs based in Japan, China, or South Korea.

If you make it that far, it will be nothing like you expected it to be, but you will at least be able to fulfill your original goal and you will learn very much along the way.

You can take advice from a bunch of condescending oldheads like us, but it only goes so far. Only you know what you're capable of and what you want to do. Just don't get exhausted, give up, and conform to the sheepish wills of the masses.

Good thing that he is young, I believe that if he dedicates really hard from now on, he won't face difficulties when he reaches 18.

Archive

posted by FireAza on Nov 30, 2014:

I'll say this much for him, at least he has some kind of (semi-realistic) idea if what he wants to do with himself once he's finished schooling. I didn't figure out what I wanted to do until a few years ago, prior to that I was just kinda coasting.