14TB of tape data

Archive

14TB of tape data

Post by Archive » June 26th, 2019, 7:56 pm

posted by AlexRMC92 on Sep 16, 2013:

retro said:

Unfortunately, they don't support DDS-1. That's not to say there aren't any DDS-2 tapes, of course!

If not the SCSI cards may be useful, you can put 5 devices on each cable and two cables per card. So that should handle all of the drives for all of the different tapes.

Archive

14TB of tape data

posted by retro on Sep 16, 2013:

Actually, you can link 8 devices to a SCSI bus. Not that you need to connect all the drives at once, or would necessarily want to do so.

Kevin has SCSI cards - I think most of us with an interest in this technology do.

Archive

14TB of tape data

posted by Prometheus on Sep 16, 2013:

retro said:

Who said nobody has these drives? That's certainly not true. I've said on several occasions that I have working drives, and a couple of other members mentioned they had drives that I confirmed might be suitable. I just can't afford to fly over to the US and spend God knows how long there, lugging a bunch of heavy tape drives with me.

I said "nobody seems to have the right drives to donate". This thread was created nearly three years ago and how many drives have been donated? I'm well aware you have the correct drives, but that does us no good if you're not able to ship them to ASSEMbler. Which raises another question I've been meaning to ask...

What exactly is stopping you from sending ASSEMbler the tape drives? The absurd shipping price? Knowing that your drives are properly tested and almost guaranteed to work, wouldn't it be safer on the tapes and smarter in the long run to spend whatever the shipping total is rather than buying multiple drives off eBay and having to properly clean and test those? Is that not an option?

Archive

14TB of tape data

posted by AlexRMC92 on Sep 16, 2013:

retro said:

Actually, you can link 8 devices to a SCSI bus. Not that you need to connect all the drives at once, or would necessarily want to do so.

Kevin has SCSI cards - I think most of us with an interest in this technology do.

Sorry meant to type four Image

Anyways, if its needed i have it. I have another storage unit of stuff i can look through too. But i doubt i have anything older than DDS2

Archive

14TB of tape data

posted by ASSEMbler on Sep 16, 2013:

Whatever people can give me, I will dump those tapes first.

Archive

14TB of tape data

posted by AlexRMC92 on Sep 17, 2013:

ASSEMbler said:

Do you have any DDS-2, DDS-3, or DDS-4 tapes? Or in need of a SCSI card / Cables?

If you want to PM me your address or a P.O box i will send a set to you.

Archive

14TB of tape data

posted by Prometheus on Sep 16, 2013:

ASSEMbler said:

Do the pictures you previously provided show all of the different types of tapes, or are there more?

Archive

14TB of tape data

posted by retro on Sep 17, 2013:

Prometheus said:

I said "nobody seems to have the right drives to donate".

There were several offers. In some cases, Kev said he was sending PMs. I can't tell you what happened there, but there WERE offers.

Prometheus said:

What exactly is stopping you from sending ASSEMbler the tape drives? The absurd shipping price? Knowing that your drives are properly tested and almost guaranteed to work, wouldn't it be safer on the tapes and smarter in the long run to spend whatever the shipping total is rather than buying multiple drives off eBay and having to properly clean and test those? Is that not an option?

Oof.....

The absurd shipping price would now be REALLY absurd. Like.... you-could-buy-your-own-drives-at-reclamation-dealer-prices-for-that absurd.
I've had things go missing / get damaged when shipping to America. I trust carriers as far as I can throw a pile of heavy tape drives. And that's not far! Image

I need the drives myself. If I send them off, that's God knows how many weeks without them. If someone asks me to transfer a tape in that time, I lose out big time (they're not going to come back to me in future, either). And if they get damaged or go missing, I'm screwed.
Whilst I trust Kevin and consider him a friend, I wouldn't want to put him in an awkward situation should he unintentionally damage my drives. Not that I think he'd screw me over, he's an honourable guy. It's just best not to put a friend in that position. For that reason, and the shipping reason, I'd rather they didn't leave my sight, really.
I'm not one for nagging Kevin. If he doesn't reply, there's usually a reason. Maybe he's busy. Maybe his health concerns are more important. Maybe he has a backlog of more pressing matters. Or maybe he feels whatever matter it is isn't worthy of his time. Personally, I don't go on at him like a dog with a bone. To quote Lock Stock, "Chill, Winston!" Image

There are some personal reasons that I won't go into. Some of which I believe I mentioned to you in private, which is how I would rather it stay Image

Archive

14TB of tape data

posted by Prometheus on Sep 17, 2013:

retro said:

There were several offers. In some cases, Kev said he was sending PMs. I can't tell you what happened there, but there WERE offers.

I can make an educated guess...

Either way, nothing appeared to have come from it. We're still stuck at the initial step.

retro said:

The absurd shipping price would now be REALLY absurd. Like.... you-could-buy-your-own-drives-at-reclamation-dealer-prices-for-that absurd.
I've had things go missing / get damaged when shipping to America. I trust carriers as far as I can throw a pile of heavy tape drives. And that's not far! Image
I need the drives myself. If I send them off, that's God knows how many weeks without them. If someone asks me to transfer a tape in that time, I lose out big time (they're not going to come back to me in future, either). And if they get damaged or go missing, I'm screwed.
Whilst I trust Kevin and consider him a friend, I wouldn't want to put him in an awkward situation should he unintentionally damage my drives. Not that I think he'd screw me over, he's an honourable guy. It's just best not to put a friend in that position. For that reason, and the shipping reason, I'd rather they didn't leave my sight, really.
I'm not one for nagging Kevin. If he doesn't reply, there's usually a reason. Maybe he's busy. Maybe his health concerns are more important. Maybe he has a backlog of more pressing matters. Or maybe he feels whatever matter it is isn't worthy of his time. Personally, I don't go on at him like a dog with a bone. To quote Lock Stock, "Chill, Winston!" Image
There are some personal reasons that I won't go into. Some of which I believe I mentioned to you in private, which is how I would rather it stay Image

Alright, fair enough.

Archive

14TB of tape data

posted by retro on Sep 17, 2013:

Well, Kevin seems interested again and at a point where he might be able to dedicate some time to the effort, so hopefully things will progress Image