14TB of tape data

Archive

14TB of tape data

Post by Archive » June 26th, 2019, 7:56 pm

posted by retro on Nov 28, 2013:

Ironhell said:

...even if it means risking using older hardware, its better than losing it all through inaction.

[video=youtube_share;I3zhdqQNOnQ]http://youtu.be/I3zhdqQNOnQ?t=34s[/video]

0:35. That is what happens when you rush these things with untested old hardware.

Archive

14TB of tape data

posted by Druidic teacher on Jun 22, 2017:

x

Archive

14TB of tape data

posted by Ironhell on Nov 29, 2013:

retro said:

[video=youtube_share;I3zhdqQNOnQ]http://youtu.be/I3zhdqQNOnQ?t=34s[/video]

0:35. That is what happens when you rush these things with untested old hardware.

Who said anything about using untested hardware? I cant test em but Im sure Kevin can. You can too but youre too far away to make it worthwhile so what other choice is there?

As for old hardware, that is also an unavoidable inconvenience, nobody is advocating rushing but I fail to see how 3 years of fear mongering about drives is being productive. if they work, then they should work no? that or the earliest tapes will go soon in the next few years (if they arent gone already).

You can clean and test em with blanks zero em out to determine if they work and it could still fuck up but again that would be the best that could be done.

BTW, that movie was great and they attained their objective (mind you in a very direct and dramatic fashion). Its a classic.

Archive

14TB of tape data

posted by retro on Nov 29, 2013:

Druid: And Adam Sandler! Worth a watch.

The problem is that some drives of that era looked the same, but weren't. Now, most of the tapes Kev has should be fine and readable. However, with older tapes, you might encounter problems. I guess you could say akin to putting a PAL VHS in an NTSC machine. You're not going to make much sense of it. Hopefully, that issue would be restricted to just wasting money on the wrong drive, rather than causing damage, mind you.

Archive

14TB of tape data

posted by Ironhell on Nov 29, 2013:

retro said:

Druid: And Adam Sandler! Worth a watch.

The problem is that some drives of that era looked the same, but weren't. Now, most of the tapes Kev has should be fine and readable. However, with older tapes, you might encounter problems. I guess you could say akin to putting a PAL VHS in an NTSC machine. You're not going to make much sense of it. Hopefully, that issue would be restricted to just wasting money on the wrong drive, rather than causing damage, mind you.

Perhaps using Kevs list of acclaim employees (if not considered a privacy breach) to find the one responsible for backing the data up could give alot of needed data. Ive got the idea from this very thread that so long as the tape drive is in working condition (of course tested to the nth degree) then the data could be dumped raw? and then toyed with at leisure.

Tracking NOS drives that match the tapes type (dds-1 dds-2 ait ect) and picking the better quality brands could go along way to ensuring compatibility. if they're anything like the VHS, then they'd be quite resilient, even if loaded using wrong read speed ect the tape data would likely be undamaged (i remember my vhs eating a bunch of tapes and cassette even further than that and then re spooling em and they worked fine.) That and the likely extreme redundancy works in our favour.

in the case of wasting money Id rather put it out to get good quality (albiet older) hardware and risk that then trying to save and ending up with real bad stuff. I just need to have an idea what brands or other types not listed im looking for

Archive

14TB of tape data

posted by ASSEMbler on Dec 9, 2013:

Ok back on the job.

Archive

14TB of tape data

posted by ASSEMbler on Jan 30, 2014:

Okay, two tape drives on the way, if anyone has more now is the time to send them.

Archive

14TB of tape data

posted by Ironhell on Feb 2, 2014:

Which tape types are they for? which ones do you need? Im partial to the oldest ones myself, but if you've got drives for those, ill try to track down another type. let me know if you've got detailed pics of the earlier tapes.

Archive

14TB of tape data

posted by AlexRMC92 on Feb 3, 2014:

ASSEMbler said:

Okay, two tape drives on the way, if anyone has more now is the time to send them.

PM Sent