Post by Archive » June 26th, 2019, 7:56 pm

posted by rewak on Sep 15, 2013:

A donation drive?

Archive

14TB of tape data

posted by retro on Sep 15, 2013:

ASSEMbler said:

Several people said they would donate spare drives but no one ever came through.

Any suggested drives?

I gave you a list before. Acclaim definitely had an IBM 7205-311 DLT-IV drive (a drive available from 1997-2001), which takes tapes of 35Gb capacity, or 70Gb with compression. They sell for $800-1,000 now. You won't be able to use anything other than a DLT-IV or later drive to read those tapes. Incidentally, the tapes are guaranteed for 30 years in optimal conditions, so they should have plenty of life left in them.

They had other IBM drives and an HP Autoloader, but I don't know what format they were.

*EDIT*

From the pictures you posted, there are at least these tapes:

Maxell HS-4/90s (DDS-1 format, 2Gb [4Gb compressed] capacity)
TDK DC4-90R (also DDS-1 format, same capacity)
Sony QG-112M (Data8 8mm Exabyte format aka D8, 2.5Gb [5Gb compressed] or 5Gb [10Gb compressed... although Sony claims they're 2-7Gb tapes)

I'm pretty sure there were some AIT tapes, too.

So you'll need DDS-1, D8 and probably DLT-IV and AIT drives, at least.

Archive

14TB of tape data

posted by Nemesis on Sep 15, 2013:

So, based on retro's list:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/231036054492 - Micronet SS-D2000 (DDS-1): $35
http://www.ebay.com/itm/171034059401 - Exabyte EXB-8900 (Data8): $49.95
http://www.ebay.com/itm/170940353086 - Sony SDX-500C (AIT): $14.99
http://www.ebay.com/itm/231007732091 - HP A3544A (DLT-IV): $90

You're looking at $189.94 on ebay for drives that can read all those formats. All drives are listed as working, with a 30 day warranty minimum.

I'd suggest you get out every single tape you have, and group them according to what looks to be the same format as each other, then post pictures of each group with some closeups, so that we can confirm what tape formats you have, and therefore what drives you need. If you don't need the DLT-IV drive for example (which is only suspected, not confirmed from the pictures), that's only $100 you'd need to spend on drives.

EDIT: That DLT-IV drive isn't what you want, but I'll look for an alternative.

EDIT2:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/221281011278 - Quantum DLT-V4 External (DLT-IV): $100 (action, no warranty)
or
http://www.ebay.com/itm/321207729526 - Quantum DLT-V4 External (DLT-IV): $148 (buy it now, 45 day warranty)

It's also worth noting, this same drive sold for $0.99 recently, with plenty more sales under the $50 mark. The format is obsolete and drives are no longer manufactured since 2007. Simply put, nobody's interested in them. You should be able to pick one up for a steal if you wait for the right auction.

Archive

14TB of tape data

posted by MasterOfPuppets on Sep 15, 2013:

retro said:

...in optimal conditions...

Key words right there. Even if progress can't be made sorting through the data (I know from experience how projects can get put on the back burner), it should at least be kept safe.

Archive

14TB of tape data

posted by Prometheus on Sep 15, 2013:

I've suggested buying the drives on eBay, but I don't think retro is into that idea. Understandable to take precautions given the value of these tapes, but what else can we do? Nobody seems to have the right drives to donate, nobody has enough money to have each individual tape professionally dumped, ASSEMbler doesn't trust anyone else to take care of the data retrieval process, so where does that leave us? eBay seems to be the only option that actually accomplishes something given the circumstances.

If the price for all the drives is less than $200, I would think ASSEMbler has enough sites funds to take care of it himself.

Nemesis, it's been a while but I think I recall ASSEMbler saying he had some kind of server set up where someone would be able to analyze the dumped data and determine the encryption method. I'm guessing that's where someone like you would come in handy.

Archive

14TB of tape data

posted by AlexRMC92 on Sep 15, 2013:

ASSEMbler said:

Several people said they would donate spare drives but no one ever came through.

Any suggested drives?

I sent you a PM a few days ago, i'll be back in the office tomorrow. I'll get some details on the ones i have in storage then.

Archive

14TB of tape data

posted by retro on Sep 16, 2013:

Prometheus said:

I've suggested buying the drives on eBay, but I don't think retro is into that idea. Understandable to take precautions given the value of these tapes, but what else can we do? Nobody seems to have the right drives to donate, nobody has enough money to have each individual tape professionally dumped, ASSEMbler doesn't trust anyone else to take care of the data retrieval process, so where does that leave us? eBay seems to be the only option that actually accomplishes something given the circumstances.

I'm not against it, but those sellers aren't always that great. They're usually clearance houses that will just strip the drives, might try a tape in it or might just list it as it's too much effort. Give a warranty and the user can find out if it's faulty and we'll refund if necessary. Sad, but that's how that sort of business often operates. Drives that are definitely working are usually really expensive, and even they aren't always tested.

My caution is not just in whether the drives work, but in that we know that some drives were proprietary (they look like a DDS-1 drive, they take a DDS-1 tape, but they're not DDS-1). These tapes do seem to be late enough to avoid most of those drives, but you do have to be careful.

Incidentally, the 7205-311 IS confirmed. It was the only tape drive specifically mentioned in the auction catalogue. I have an idea of what the Exabyte drive was, though.

Who said nobody has these drives? That's certainly not true. I've said on several occasions that I have working drives, and a couple of other members mentioned they had drives that I confirmed might be suitable. I just can't afford to fly over to the US and spend God knows how long there, lugging a bunch of heavy tape drives with me.

DLT drives are still used by some, hence the high prices from reclamation suppliers.

Archive

14TB of tape data

posted by Twimfy on Sep 16, 2013:

retro said:

I'm not against it, but those sellers aren't always that great. They're usually clearance houses that will just strip the drives, might try a tape in it or might just list it as it's too much effort. Give a warranty and the user can find out if it's faulty and we'll refund if necessary. Sad, but that's how that sort of business often operates. Drives that are definitely working are usually really expensive, and even they aren't always tested.

My caution is not just in whether the drives work, but in that we know that some drives were proprietary (they look like a DDS-1 drive, they take a DDS-1 tape, but they're not DDS-1). These tapes do seem to be late enough to avoid most of those drives, but you do have to be careful.

Incidentally, the 7205-311 IS confirmed. It was the only tape drive specifically mentioned in the auction catalogue. I have an idea of what the Exabyte drive was, though.

Who said nobody has these drives? That's certainly not true. I've said on several occasions that I have working drives, and a couple of other members mentioned they had drives that I confirmed might be suitable. I just can't afford to fly over to the US and spend God knows how long there, lugging a bunch of heavy tape drives with me.

DLT drives are still used by some, hence the high prices from reclamation suppliers.

Cost then appears to be the issue.

Perhaps it might be worth exploring the possibility of a fund raiser. Find out how much it's going to cost for equipment + logistics + time and then see if there's enough interest to raise the finances to make it happen, flights and all.

Say it were £1k for the equipment and £2k to fly someone out to do it, I'm sure you could then drop another £1k on top as an incentive for someone to actually go out and do the job? £4k for all of this data is bound to be worth it to some people here.

Archive

14TB of tape data

posted by AlexRMC92 on Sep 16, 2013:

AlexRMC92 said:

I sent you a PM a few days ago, i'll be back in the office tomorrow. I'll get some details on the ones i have in storage then.

I have two of these. They are Quantum STD2401LW SCSI Drives. I also have the PCI-X SCSI cards & cables. The cards will work in normal PCI slots at slower speeds.They support DDS-2 through DDS-4.

If you have any of these tapes and/or are in need of these drives send me a PM, I don't need them for anything so as far as i'm concerned they are free.

Archive

14TB of tape data

posted by retro on Sep 16, 2013:

Unfortunately, they don't support DDS-1. That's not to say there aren't any DDS-2 tapes, of course!