15 pin RGB to D-Terminal cheap solution needed.

Archive

Post by Archive » June 26th, 2019, 7:56 pm

posted by neomatrix on Jun 8, 2008:

a old NEC MultiSync pc monitor work for 15khz

Archive

posted by GaijinPunch on Jun 8, 2008:

Yakumo said:

I've got my eye on a XRGB-2 Plus right now. Hope to get that. It is more expensive but in the long run I can run the SFC in RGB as well then. Plus if I get a Saturn RGB cable then that can also run through the X-RGB box as well. In fact the Dreamcast could as well via the VGA box.

That was why I recommended it. Very convenient. I have one now hooked up to my arcade monitor.

I think you'll be happy with your investment though. The signal loss from S-Video compared to RGB is pretty amazing. Throw on the fake scanlines filter and it's like the old days. Some argue that an XRGB-2 plus an HDTV is better than a CRT, as the CRTs are famous for geometry issues. I'm thoroughly impressed with my trisynch monitor though.

Just make sure it's the right model. XRGB-3 is lacking something (as is the XRGB-2+ if I'm not mistaken).

Archive

posted by Calpis on Jun 8, 2008:

RGB->Component is >> XRGB* since there's no DSP going on, the only limiting factor is how well your display does 480i through component, which should be pretty well!

Archive

posted by ccovell on Jun 9, 2008:

I hear the X-RGB2 is good. I have an XRGB2+, and apparently the "plus" adds a ton of digitizing noise* to everything... It still doesn't beat a 15khz monitor AT ALL. All the XRGBs digitize analogue video -> a [lowish-res] framebuffer -> analogue RGB so the aliasing loss from analogue is a bit unacceptable when running, say Saturn games that use resolutions of 700 pixels or above.

*Noise =/= colour noise, but rather jumpy pixels.

Archive

posted by GaijinPunch on Jun 9, 2008:

RGB->Component is >> XRGB*

Must bring up the issue again of the availability of such an item (in Japan, for Japanese RGB).

All the XRGBs digitize analogue video

Does it do this when it's in 15khz mode? This is generally what I use for all my consoles on my arcade monitor. Sorts out synch issues, acts as an amp, etc. etc. Every now and again I'll hook it up to the flat screen and go 31khz.

But, even on a non-consumer display, the output quality is good, and the option was brought up as a possible solution for Yakumo. Any filtering is better than what he has now (nothing).

Archive

posted by Yakumo on Jun 9, 2008:

I won the XRGB-2 Plus for 9250 yen last night. Can't wait for it to turn up. As Gaijin Punch says, anything is better than what I have now. Old consoles on a HD TV just look turd. Even when you switch off all the filters on the TV the image still looks turd.

Yakumo

Archive

posted by Jamtex on Jun 9, 2008:

That's great and it is very cheap too. Although the original question was to convert RGB into D-Terminal (Component) where as the XRGB2 means you have to use your consoles on your TFT screen and not your CRT. I suggest you check the pin outs of the Megadrive before you plug it in to the 15pin RGB socket at the back just in case it is wired funny... else play find a Japanese 21 Pin Megadrive lead or get someone to make a SCART to Japanese 21 pin convertor.

Gaijinpunch said:

Must bring up the issue again of the availability of such an item (in Japan, for Japanese RGB).

Probably easier and cheaper to find RGB SCART cables then it is to find Japanese wired 21 pin RGB cables. A quick scan on Google found a Super Famicom, Megadrive, Saturn, Dreamcast and Playstation SCART cable for $5 or less each with postage being about $10.

The device I listed at the start will convert RGB to Component but be interesting to see what it does.

Archive

posted by GaijinPunch on Jun 9, 2008:

where as the XRGB2 means you have to use your consoles on your TFT screen and not your CRT.

It's not required. XRGB-2 supports 15khz mode. The trick comes into getting it connected to your CRT. 15pin DSUB to 21-pin RGB would work, and would be the easiest and the most likely connection due to his locale. Otherwise, something like a trisynch monitor and a straight VGA cable will work in either 15khz or 31khz modes. Even if this disables him from using his CRT, it's a better solution as he's knocking the video loss S-Video introduces out of the picture.

I suggest you check the pin outs of the Megadrive before you plug it in to the 15pin RGB socket at the back just in case it is wired funny...

Might as well use a standard cable (The Neo Geo one works, as far as I've been told).

The device I listed at the start will convert RGB to Component but be interesting to see what it does.

Most likely not work out of the box. I seem to recall a thread in the General Gaming forum about someone doing something like that w/ an NTSC-J Saturn and a PAL TV. Don't quote me on it though.