Avoiding the YLOD on an early model CECHH00 PS3

Archive

Post by Archive » June 27th, 2019, 9:04 am

posted by Kidgamepro06 on Feb 11, 2015:

So you've got a CECHH PS3 which is already a pretty good ps3 model as it has lower die size on both the cpu and the gpu, the psu doesn't produce that much heat and moreover it has a plastic housing which limits heat transfer between psu and the metal plate over the motherboard, the fan is also a 17 blade and you can't replace it with a 19 blade one because they're different in shape/size.

Thus you can't do that much to prevent ylod because in fact, those models aren't prone to ylod. i'd advise you to simply make it clean (blow all the dust) and replace the thermal paste over the cpu and the gpu with a good one (Arctic MX-2 is a pretty good one, easy to apply, cheap and good quality).

In the extreme case where the fan turns super loud after 1-2 minutes of operating time, it'll be due to the paste under the ihs that gone dry. If that happens, you'll need to open the cpu and rsx IHS and although the RSX one is pretty easy to remove, the CELL one is a pain in the ass, even more on those late fat model ps3. I wouldn't advise you to do this as if it's your first time, you've got more chances to destroy it beyond repair than having better temps.

In conclusion, don't worry that much with your PS3 because it's a good one. Just replace thermal paste and make sure it spreads all over the cpu/gpu surface and you'll be good ! Image

Archive

posted by LeHaM on Feb 11, 2015:

Someone on here liquid cooled theirs not too long ago. 

Archive

posted by Mord.Fustang on Feb 11, 2015:

-Clean it out
-Replace thermal paste
-Use potentiometer to speed the fan a bit (optional).
-Set Power Savings mode so the system doesn't stay on indefinitely if you're not using it... I set mine to 2 hours

That's what I'd recommend... it's the most convenient and cost-effective (no replacing parts, etc, and potentiometers and a bit of wire cost barely anything). I've tried in the past replacing a power supply with a lower-wattage power supply from another system and it's a bad idea. The system would turn off randomly while gaming when I tested it. IMO, stick with the stock power supply, it's rated the way it is for a reason.

Why would you reball a perfectly good system? Not to mention the costs involved in doing that... only seems like a good idea if you have your own reballing station, but if you did I doubt you'd be asking how to avoid YLOD.

Archive

posted by FireAza on Feb 11, 2015:

Kidgamepro06 said:

So you've got a CECHH PS3 which is already a pretty good ps3 model as it has lower die size on both the cpu and the gpu, the psu doesn't produce that much heat and moreover it has a plastic housing which limits heat transfer between psu and the metal plate over the motherboard, the fan is also a 17 blade and you can't replace it with a 19 blade one because they're different in shape/size.

Thus you can't do that much to prevent ylod because in fact, those models aren't prone to ylod. i'd advise you to simply make it clean (blow all the dust) and replace the thermal paste over the cpu and the gpu with a good one (Arctic MX-2 is a pretty good one, easy to apply, cheap and good quality).

In the extreme case where the fan turns super loud after 1-2 minutes of operating time, it'll be due to the paste under the ihs that gone dry. If that happens, you'll need to open the cpu and rsx IHS and although the RSX one is pretty easy to remove, the CELL one is a pain in the ass, even more on those late fat model ps3. I wouldn't advise you to do this as if it's your first time, you've got more chances to destroy it beyond repair than having better temps.

In conclusion, don't worry that much with your PS3 because it's a good one. Just replace thermal paste and make sure it spreads all over the cpu/gpu surface and you'll be good ! Image

That's a relief to hear. I think I'll replace the thermal paste at some point, which brings me back to that point about the heat sink supposedly being tricky to replace on my model. I'm familar with the heat sink on launch model PS3s and I'm an old hand at PC heat sinks, what makes the heat sink of this model so unusual?

Mord.Fustang said:

-Clean it out
-Replace thermal paste
-Use potentiometer to speed the fan a bit (optional).
-Set Power Savings mode so the system doesn't stay on indefinitely if you're not using it... I set mine to 2 hours

That's what I'd recommend... it's the most convenient and cost-effective (no replacing parts, etc, and potentiometers and a bit of wire cost barely anything). I've tried in the past replacing a power supply with a lower-wattage power supply from another system and it's a bad idea. The system would turn off randomly while gaming when I tested it. IMO, stick with the stock power supply, it's rated the way it is for a reason.

Why would you reball a perfectly good system? Not to mention the costs involved in doing that... only seems like a good idea if you have your own reballing station, but if you did I doubt you'd be asking how to avoid YLOD.

That sounds like a good plan, I just hope that if something does happen later down the line that someone is still able to reball it! Well, doing these preventive measures should help things.

Archive

posted by jp554731 on Feb 12, 2015:

I plan on doing this mod on my CECHA-01 since it keeps everything original.
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=KxP9V6g4nGg

Archive

posted by Kidgamepro06 on Feb 12, 2015:

FireAza said:

That's a relief to hear. I think I'll replace the thermal paste at some point, which brings me back to that point about the heat sink supposedly being tricky to replace on my model. I'm familar with the heat sink on launch model PS3s and I'm an old hand at PC heat sinks, what makes the heat sink of this model so unusual?

There's nothing "special". You'll just need to lift the motherboard after you've removed all the screws. It might be kind of "stuck" because the old thermal paste acts as glue. So to make is easier to lift it, just heat it up with a hair dryer, then just remove it slowly from different angles and it'll come in a short period of time.

Ho, by the way, I was wrong about the RSX die size in CECHH model, it's still in 90nm. But as I said, don't worry, a good thermal paste and a good clean will do the job Image.

Archive

posted by FireAza on Feb 26, 2015:

Do you guys have any reccomendations for thermal pastes? The usual kind used in desktop PCs is often too thin for consoles, any idea if the PS3 needs a thicker one?

Archive

posted by afccarl1994 on Feb 26, 2015:

FireAza said:

Do you guys have any reccomendations for thermal pastes? The usual kind used in desktop PCs is often too thin for consoles, any idea if the PS3 needs a thicker one?

I used MX-4 on mine. Seems to work well, and it's thick (if that matters).

Archive

posted by FireAza on Feb 27, 2015:

The one in the silver or white tube? I have the MX-4 in a white tube and it seems pretty runny.

Archive

posted by Mord.Fustang on Feb 27, 2015:

I just use some generic grey paste personally, which is fairly thick. Paste is paste, I don't think it matters if it's on a console or a desktop.

Remember that less is more when it comes to paste and you only need a minute amount.