Avoiding the YLOD on an early model CECHH00 PS3

Archive

Post by Archive » June 27th, 2019, 9:04 am

posted by Unknown-Organization on Mar 4, 2015:

There was a thread about this three years ago, Someone said you can replace Original PS3 PSU to less power of PSU, so therefore less heat and stress involved.

I cannot remember his user name on this site

edit

i found this very useful site

http://aaronprather.hubpages.com/hu...nd-greener-ps3-system-models-cecha01-cechg01-

Archive

posted by FireAza on Mar 4, 2015:

I read that site too! Speaking of which, the part where it mentions difficulty in properly reattaching the heat sinks in my model, I suspect that this is because this model has two small heatsinks instead of one large one. I'm guessing if you didn't re-assememble in the correct order or used the wrong heat sink for the wrong processor, there would indeed be issues. Any tips to avoid this? The heatsinks just kind sit on some plastic pegs in the bottom of the case and the plastic shroud of the fan goes on top, then the main board on top of that. No idea where you could go wrong, aside from mixing up the two heatsinks. Speaking of which, I've realized that I'm having trouble remembering which goes with which processor. One heatsink has a small groove cut into it, which would mean it's for the taller processor. Which processor is this?

Archive

posted by kyo86sg on Mar 4, 2015:

I am still hoping that I don't have to open my PS3 TEST unit WARRANTY SEAL to do this. (in terms of valuation mainly)

I am just praying to the good lord above that all goes well~

Archive

posted by FireAza on Mar 6, 2015:

Okay, so the replacement 19 blade cooling assembly arrived today, so I've changed the thermal compound, swapped out the fan and put everything back together. The launch model heatsink didn't fit in my model (of course) but the fan itself fit fine. Had a bit of a heart attack when I came to turn it on, since the red power light didn't even come on. Found that I had forgotten to plug in the PSU to the mainboard, derp! When the system started up, the fan seemed kinda... "noisy". Not a "woosh" noise like a big fan would make, but more of a mechanical noise. Not sure what the cause might be, but the fan was very dirty so I suspect its a bit old and worn. It's pretty silent once the system starts up and the fans spins down (which definitely indicates that the cooling overhaul has helped!), so it's not a big issue. The air coming out the back is nice and toasty, so it seems like I've applied the thermal compound and assembled it correctly.

No idea what that site was talking about when they said disassembling my model is risky. Maybe it's due to the fact that the heatsinks are secured into the case which means you need to drop the mainboard onto them instead of the other way around which is normally how it's done. This also means you apply the thermal compound to the heatsink instead of the heatspreaders. But since the board is upside down, there's basically no risk of applying too much thermal compound (Sony's assemblers sure didn't worry!), so this isn't a big problem either.

Archive

posted by Unknown-Organization on Mar 6, 2015:

kyo86sg said:

I am still hoping that I don't have to open my PS3 TEST unit WARRANTY SEAL to do this. (in terms of valuation mainly)

I am just praying to the good lord above that all goes well~

Then that case, Don't use the TEST system

Archive

posted by Unknown-Organization on Mar 6, 2015:

FireAza said:

Okay, so the replacement 19 blade cooling assembly arrived today, so I've changed the thermal compound, swapped out the fan and put everything back together. The launch model heatsink didn't fit in my model (of course) but the fan itself fit fine. Had a bit of a heart attack when I came to turn it on, since the red power light didn't even come on. Found that I had forgotten to plug in the PSU to the mainboard, derp! When the system started up, the fan seemed kinda... "noisy". Not a "woosh" noise like a big fan would make, but more of a mechanical noise. Not sure what the cause might be, but the fan was very dirty so I suspect its a bit old and worn. It's pretty silent once the system starts up and the fans spins down (which definitely indicates that the cooling overhaul has helped!), so it's not a big issue. The air coming out the back is nice and toasty, so it seems like I've applied the thermal compound and assembled it correctly.

No idea what that site was talking about when they said disassembling my model is risky. Maybe it's due to the fact that the heatsinks are secured into the case which means you need to drop the mainboard onto them instead of the other way around which is normally how it's done. This also means you apply the thermal compound to the heatsink instead of the heatspreaders. But since the board is upside down, there's basically no risk of applying too much thermal compound (Sony's assemblers sure didn't worry!), so this isn't a big problem either.

Congratulation, sounds like the plans going well.

Archive

posted by General Plot on Mar 6, 2015:

The only real risk in disassembly is the fact you have to lift the board from the bottom of the casing, which houses the heatsinks in such a way, that the only way you can remove the board is to lift up on it until the thermal paste comes free. This can put stress on the BGA of the Cell and RSX, which if they're already weakened from extensive exposure to higher than normal heat, could cause some of the BGA's to crack. Once you've got the board out, though, you're pretty much in the clear.