The Atari Panther:The Game Claims/UK Press Coverage etc.

Archive

Post by Archive » June 27th, 2019, 8:07 pm

posted by LD on Jul 31, 2017:

This is what i've been trying to get across using every resouurce avaiable to me, be they internal files kindly donated by Scott stilphen, Magazine articles/interviews from back in the day-Likes of Mev Dinc making clear he wanted nothing to do with Atari's Panther, or my very own interviews with likes of Jim Gregory, making clear what a nightmare Leonard Tramiel could be when developers approached them with concerns over their hardware or cut Cart sizes, budgets and appointed Managers...things went to sh*t basically....

And this is why i find them fantastic to look into, but nigh on impossible top defend as an ex-consumer of their goods.

No idea on the Boxing Game, i never really followed the studio (not a sports fan) until i read through the files Scott passed on and was like, WOW!!!!

Archive

posted by Tempest_2084 on Jul 31, 2017:

Do you have the name of the programmer for either of these? I'd like to add it to my page.

Archive

Sadly not, what you see is all i have, as you can imagine it's made tracking coders/artists etc who might have worked on it very difficult.

Ex-Imagitec lot are an odd bunch to get to reply.

Spotted a chap listing Humans 32X and N64 on his C.V whilst having worked at Mirage/Imagitec Design, emailed him to confirm these versions were started, never had a reply back.

This is why i'm eternally grateful to Scott for sharing the files he had, at least it's something more to add to the puzzle.

Archive

If there was ever a genre the Lynx was sadly lacking a killer title in, it was the RPG Genre...

A few were promised/showcased..including a conversion of Eye Of The Beholder...

(Telegames)Guardians:Storm Over Doria...

And of course Imagitec design's Daemonsgate, which had been released on PC, reviewed, but unreleased on the Amiga..

I'd only ever seen the 1 Amiga review (possibly based on unfinished code?)

Here's a selection of files i have...

Testers report with thanks again to Scott...

Amiga Review...

Interview i did with PC Coder:

http://www.gamesthatwerent.com/2014/12/an-interview-with-nigel-kershaw/

Video of Lynx version:

It doesn't appear to be much of a classic, in RPG terms, but i feel it would of done well on Lynx, espically as iF it had been released, it might well of had no real competition.

Archive

Sega press coverage here:

http://www.smspower.org/forums/13302-TheHumansTheVikingChildGG

Archive

posted by LD on Aug 4, 2017:

Archive

posted by runwhiteboyrun on Aug 1, 2017:

I've had no experience or interest in the Jaguar, but all of your Jaguar posts have been damn entertaining. Keep it up.

Archive

posted by KGRAMR on Aug 1, 2017:

Lost Dragon said:

I've recently been contacted by a credible source with an account of what Leonard Tramiel actually said on JSIII after being shown previousily written material regarding The Panther console.

I will spare any blushes, but apparently Leonard asked why people kept restating inaccurate information as FACT, without checking it/looking into it 1st...that was how Fake News came about..etc.

Leonard admitted he has ACTUAL specifications for the Panther hardware, but he would need to find them.

Leonard now admits the development kit/prototype chips NEVER worked properly after they arrived-which backs up the point Jim Gregory of HMS stated to myself when i interviewed him about the hardware being bugged...

Leonard also cleared up the false claim the hardware was at a stage where it was ready to go into production, based on retail ready hardware.

I'm just giving the information as bullet points, but i'm eternally grateful to the source for bringing this to my attention.

It's been passed onto the various sites looking to do Panther articles in the near future.

Great to see the community pulling together to ensure accuracy in others projects going forward.

So, there's a buddy of yours on the group? I know who is it though. That's basically what i posted before here on the unreleased jaguar games thread by quoting his words. I'm not criticizing you BTW.

Archive

posted by LD on Aug 4, 2017: