The Atari Panther:The Game Claims/UK Press Coverage etc.

Archive

Post by Archive » June 27th, 2019, 8:07 pm

posted by LD on Aug 2, 2017:

runwhiteboyrun said:

I've had no experience or interest in the Jaguar, but all of your Jaguar posts have been damn entertaining. Keep it up.

I've not touched a Jaguar since I sold mine to fund a Playstation 1, day 1 purchase and so,so many of the unreleased games were better off unreleased,as they were pretty dire or conversions of pretty dire games to start with..

But looking into the inner workings of Atari and it's treatment of and relationships with..the press, publishers etc, I do find makes very interesting reading...

It's a car crash of events with Atari lurching from disaster to disaster, burning bridges and knee jerking to moves competitors make as it goes along.

Archive

posted by LD on Aug 4, 2017:

As promised..Mike Diskett and Alex Trowers of Bullfrog chatting to myself about Jaguar Magic Carpet, Alex also sheds light on the A1200 and CD32 versions.

Mike had to join AA and confirm what I had passed on was correct as people were trying to claim it was speculation on my part....

Image)

As Mike himself said..just to clear this up:

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/23...ex-trowers-lead-designer-answers-my-question/

Archive

posted by KGRAMR on Aug 2, 2017:

Lost Dragon said:

What there is Roberth, is what there has always been and always will be...

People who simply want to know what really became of lost hardware and software,even if the news isn't quite what they wanted to hear.

This is why so many of us devote so much time to the painstakingly work of collecting all the media coverage we can, contacting sources from Atari on both sides of the Atalantic, talking to coders, artists, P.R people, publishers etc and openly share what came in, so all can benefit.

I've honestly no idea exactly who's in your group,it's an irrelevance to be blunt..that's not a criticism or attack on yourself...

But you have to bear in mind, considering not so long ago you were convinced I was part of Reboot and some random guy editing Wikipedia...
Image)

I've really zero interest in who may or may not be on a FB group.

As I've stated more times than I care to think about, Facebook simply isn't something I have any interest in, paranoid groups aren't suddenly going to make me rethink my approach to social media.

This isn't North Korea and there is far more to the Atari community than some high walled FB community or group, research goes far beyond trespassing on private property, dumpster diving and bragging only you have the Atari engineering documents and Atari existed way beyond Atari Corp, The Tramiels and Darryl Still.

I've noticed paranoia in Atari experts before, Marty Goldberg saying Bob Gleadow wasn't to be trusted as a source of info..he would of had an agenda..

Really? Those that actually worked under him/with him credit him for turning Atari UK around, being a hard,but fair boss..and speak very highly of him.

Others have been singled out for liking to tell a brave tale, not actual events, Nolan Bushnell publically attacked on AA years ago..yet we are supposed to see these people as unbiased writers/researchers?

It's just as simple as the fact being this thread has been created to collect the most accurate sources of information regarding the Panther, as a chapter in Atari's history.

You, not so long ago claimed what Mike Diskett told me..Wasn't actually what happened regarding Jaguar Magic Carpet.. A bit bloody stupid considering Mike actually joined Atari Age and confirmed it..I'll find posts and put link up in a moment..

But the irony wasn't lost when i received a message from someone who didn't give a name,last night saying what Leonard had actually said differed to the account given on here.

We will of course be contacting Leonard to confirm what was said.

I know JSIII loves a bit of drama and people won't let events of JSII, which was before my time, heal over..

But again, it's an irrelevance.

The fact is Leonard himself stated he wished people would check with sources before making such claims, was not missed by myself.

You knew Kierans article had incorrect information in it, information which both The One Magazine and Atari Museum had gotten wrong..

You knew the entire point of this thread was to explain what had been found and confirmed since then and to clear up fabricated claims once and for all..yet you still put it up.

It had no place here as The One article alone formed the basis of claims made by professional publications back in the day, pixel nation not in same league.

So it was always going to generate a response as we're Atari Museums claims...

People never really stop researching...until they are sure everthing possible has been done.

I only said that you have a friend there, that's all. And for the record, there's no drama in the group.

Archive

posted by LD on Aug 3, 2017:

Archive

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/188836-some-pretty-awesome-graphics-for-the-lynx/page-3

Atari Corp's scott D.Williamson talking openly about The Panther hardware, in his view it being lame a return to the 8bit Atari micro/console hardware days, a big mistake etc after working on the Lynx

https://www.acast.com/theretrohourr...-fall-with-darryl-still---the-retro-hour-ep71

Darryl Still talking about there being NO POINT in launching the Panther, after seeing specs for the Jaguar and realising it would render the Panther harware obsolete within 18 months.

Listen around 43 Mins mark on Podcast.

Archive

Archive

More UK Press chat about the supposed ST console (Project Robin?) and then wishing Atari wouldn't waste resources on odd-ball projects like The Panther Console...

Archive

From my email chat with Missile Command (ST) Graphics Artist, Gary Johnson:

"I did work with Rob Zdybel back in the day of the years 86 to 89. But not really on any old
Atari Coin-ops to convert. We worked on newer games for the Panther. At this time
I don't remember what they were, because I only did this for a short time till I moved on.

Though back in the years of 81 and 83 I did art of other coin-op games for conversion
for the Atari ST. Rob was not one the programmers during that time.

I hope this helps.

Gary"

Archive

Guildo H's feedback when the interview i did with him about The crypt on Panther, went live:

"Thanks a bunch for the heads-up. I just checked it out (The interview now being up online) and it looks cool. Nice comments, too. If I ever find the prototype of the machine I’ll take some pictures, outside as well as under the hood, so you could potentially post them as well."

Sadly doesn't look like he found his hardware Image

Archive

posted by KGRAMR on Aug 3, 2017:

Lost Dragon said:

Guildo H's feedback when the interview i did with him about The crypt on Panther, went live:

"Thanks a bunch for the heads-up. I just checked it out (The interview now being up online) and it looks cool. Nice comments, too. If I ever find the prototype of the machine I’ll take some pictures, outside as well as under the hood, so you could potentially post them as well."

Sadly doesn't look like he found his hardware Image

I did approached to Guido to see if he still had something related to The Crypt, but unfortunately he told me that the game is now lost forever...too bad honestly. I spoke to him 3-4 months ago i believe.