Xbox Cpu Upgrade to 1GHZ Attempt

Archive

Post by Archive » June 27th, 2019, 10:43 pm

posted by APE on Feb 1, 2014:

If you do manage to pull off a 1.4ghz upgrade I'll be first in line. Given that what trusty does is pretty unique right now I can't knock his price tag and I'm pretty sure a 1.4ghz XBox won't devalue that much over time. At some point he will stop offering this service and then we will all be out of luck.

Archive

posted by davidthomas on Feb 1, 2014:

Trusty still offers the 1GHz boards also. I asked him last month if he would build me one and he said yes. Before he said he stopped doing them because he felt there was no reason to offer both when the 1.4 makes more sense to buy. Anyway, he does still do them. In a few weeks I will have a giant surprise from trusty that I want to share with everyone! He is not planning anytime soon to stop building them. In fact when you see the trusty surprise you will see in fact that he is still improving them! I am not gonna go into details more than that until I get it completely tested and confirmed that everything is stable! Image

BTW the trusty surprise is not have anything to do with the 1GHz board at all!

Archive

posted by sonicdude10 on Feb 1, 2014:

davidthomas said:

Trusty still offers the 1GHz boards also. I asked him last month if he would build me one and he said yes. Before he said he stopped doing them because he felt there was no reason to offer both when the 1.4 makes more sense to buy. Anyway, he does still do them. In a few weeks I will have a giant surprise from trusty that I want to share with everyone! He is not planning anytime soon to stop building them. In fact when you see the trusty surprise you will see in fact that he is still improving them! I am not gonna go into details more than that until I get it completely tested and confirmed that everything is stable! Image

BTW the trusty surprise is not have anything to do with the 1GHz board at all!

Oh. I know what's up. Believe me. Everyone here will be pleasantly surprised.

Archive

posted by davidthomas on Feb 1, 2014:

I know I cant wait till I get all my machines back together. I want to take pics of my whole modded collection but I have a ways to go yet. I got all the pin headers installed and all the boards are TSOP flashed. About half are done with the 128 RAM upgrade. Now I just need to finish the rest.

I took all my modded XBOXs apart and decided to do a mass upgrade and swap all the boards and drives around to give me the best of the best machines for the top of my collection! I really just need that green X3CP! someone please help me with that! When I post pics someone will feel bad and realize that I really need that X3CP in my collection to complete it!

Archive

posted by Floydthebarber on Feb 3, 2014:

So, I kinda figured that some solder balls under the CPU should be depopulated to perform this mod, but I didn't know exactly which one's. Now I think I know. I believe them to be the solder balls that control the voltage supplied to the CPU and the solder balls that control the CPU front side bus speed. What I am wondering about now though is instead of depopulating certain solder balls could one cut traces instead and thereby create the same effect as depopulating certain solder balls? Here is an example of what I mean.

This might be the two cut traces that N64 Freak was referring to when he successfully performed this mod. What do you guys think?

Archive

posted by ASSEMbler on Feb 3, 2014:

Could you compare it to a normal tulatin motherboard and figure it out that way?

Archive

posted by sonicdude10 on Feb 3, 2014:

ASSEMbler said:

Could you compare it to a normal tulatin motherboard and figure it out that way?

Not really as this isn't a Tualatin CPU. Most likely a Coppermine or possibly even Coppermine T.

Archive

posted by APE on Feb 3, 2014:

sonicdude10 said:

Not really as this isn't a Tualatin CPU. Most likely a Coppermine or possibly even Coppermine T.

I don't think you actually answered his question. ASSEMbler clearly knows it's a coppermine based PIII already.

I'd be willing to bet this information is relevant:http://www.overclockers.com/tualatin-in-a-bx-board/

Archive

posted by Floydthebarber on Feb 3, 2014:

APE said:

I don't think you actually answered his question. ASSEMbler clearly knows it's a coppermine based PIII already.

I'd be willing to bet this information is relevant:http://www.overclockers.com/tualatin-in-a-bx-board/

That is relevant information thanks APE. I also found this http://www.kilowattalley.com/easy.htm, which states that removing BSEL1 from the equation will result in 133mhz front side bus speed Image It states too that BSEL0 can be removed. So in my case, I would simply leave these two signals depopulated or I could do what N64 Freak did and cut the traces. So all I have left to do is figure out how to disable the Intel Speedstep and I am good to go (I have a good idea as to how to do it too)

I just noticed too that I am marking the signals completely wrong in my pictures lol. The signals I am marking are on the right side of that part of the motherboard not on the bottom.

After reading that page, I think I might know what this surprise is that sonicdude is talking about. Overclocked Tualatin maybe?

Archive

posted by davidthomas on Feb 4, 2014:

I am the one with the surprise. I just let sonicdude in on it already. But I can tell you that it is not overclocking the CPU which would be awesome! But that is not it. I will let the whole community in on it when I get it all tested. The prototype is working fine already but the final version will be here in a week and I am sure people will want this also.

That is a far as I can really tell you sorry. The person that is working on it with me does not want it out until it is installed and tested proper! I do not see any reason i will fail but you never know! I am glad that I am persistent sometimes!