Your worst Buying Mistakes

Archive

Post by Archive » June 28th, 2019, 7:05 am

posted by sven666 on Dec 25, 2010:

got into a bidwar on yahoo over an arcade kit and paid $1000 for a $200 game so.. umm yeah..

got it sitting on my shelf collecting dust too, had it for about 2 years and never bothered to even play it.

more money than sense i guess :shrug:

Archive

posted by Happier06 on Dec 29, 2010:

Worst buying mistake:

PS3 60GB European launch.... Don't know what i had in mind when i gave 700€ to Sony.

I bought it with Def Jam hip hop game. Unfortunetely, it had nothing in common with previous releases of the game. I liked very much the fighting style of the previous games of the serie, not very complicated but very fun.
Very fun wasn't a good word to describe the PS3 version of the serie. Played it for like 2-3 hours max, downloaded a few demos from PSN and left my PS3 turnt off for like 1 or 2 months afterwards.
I did get a few games for the PS3 after: Burnout (total crap), Everybody Golf Jap (doesn't work as well as on PSP), Unreal tournament (only game i really played with wipeout), GTAIV (kind of fun at the begining, was quickly boring tought) and Wipeout.
So for like 4 years of PS3 own, i only turned it on for like 1 month....

Why did i purchased the PS3? Because of those wonderfull consoles that were PS1 and PS2.

And the best for the end: i bought NFS: Hot Pursuit like 2 weeks ago. Played it like 3 hours MAX and my PS3 now can't play disc anymore: the laser seems to be dead like on most early PS3 models. Kind of ironic.

If the thing didn't play BluRay, i would have sold it after repair very quickly.

To my surprise, i was completly against Wii concept at launch and found out that this is the console i play the most for this gen after buying it from Ebay at a very low price lately.

I will never ever spend any more money on Sony from now on.

Archive

posted by ave on Dec 29, 2010:

XxHennersXx said:

...well, got my Joes, till the lady had me sell them off.

lol what?

sven666 said:

got into a bidwar on yahoo over an arcade kit and paid $1000 for a $200 game so.. umm yeah..

got it sitting on my shelf collecting dust too, had it for about 2 years and never bothered to even play it.

more money than sense i guess :shrug:

Now I really wanna know what game you are talking about. It's not Change Air Blade, is it? I watched that one when it was up.

Archive

posted by Rabid Peanut-Butter on Dec 29, 2010:

Being talked into buying Grand Theft Auto IV when I knew it wasn't my type of game. All of the hype and pressure from friends got me to pick it up on launch day. I think I've played a half-hour of it.

Archive

posted by arnoldlayne on Dec 29, 2010:

Bomberman 64 (jap import) - We all loved SNES Bomberman with the battle mode. Unfortunately, and to everyone's surprise, Hudson totally fucked up the N64 version, attempting to take the game in a new direction (basically the game was now an isometric 3D 'adventure game' - and the battle mode looked like a poorly written afterthought.)

I probably paid around 50 or 60 GBP at the time and felt pretty gutted... but then I took the machine to uni and, quite literally, for months I was locked into the 1 player adventure game. It had me puzzled... I could only get 'so far' into the game on each level, then I would hit a brick wall.

About two or three years later (by chance) I found out that if I had bothered to 'keep tapping' the 'A' button I could make bigger bombs and get past obstacles, doors, enemies, etc. I didn't know whether to laugh or cry!

I really should go back and finish it one day.

It's still my best/worst gaming purchase.

Archive

posted by ping182 on Dec 29, 2010:

Rabid Peanut-Butter said:

Being talked into buying Grand Theft Auto IV when I knew it wasn't my type of game. All of the hype and pressure from friends got me to pick it up on launch day. I think I've played a half-hour of it.

this game was boring as hell.

My worst buying mistake? Bought handful of rare dreamcast games from local auction site. Seller described discs as 'mint condition' - after I received my games I wanted to beat down this fu:dammit:head - every disc was scratched to death..

Archive

posted by Jamtex on Dec 30, 2010:

ping182 said:

Seller described discs as 'mint condition' - after I received my games I wanted to beat down this fu:dammit:head - every disc was scratched to death..

Sounds like Ebay mint condition then :lol:

Archive

posted by 3do on Dec 30, 2010:

Tony Hawks: Shred

only had it a few days but already i am beginning to not like it. I mean the idea is great but the game seems boring and uninteresting along with the fact that using the board to do more than a few basic tricks is a bit of a challenge.

Archive

posted by Twimfy on Dec 30, 2010:

I guess this could count as a 'buying' mistake.

Way way back my local HMV was selling about 100 copies of Chu Chu Rocket for the DC at 10p each. In hindsight I should have bought them all just for the cases.

Archive

posted by 3do on Dec 31, 2010:

GTA The lost and Dammed on xbox live market.

Sure the game might be good and all but i didn't realise that only the Episode's from liberty city collection on disc don't require GTA IV and that the downloads from the Xbox live market require it.

If only i had know then i would have just spent the £19.99 on the original GTA IV rather than buying points for a game i cannot play at the moment.