Youtube handing over all records to media company

Archive

Post by Archive » June 28th, 2019, 7:06 am

posted by graciano1337 on Jul 4, 2008:

i hope they don't look at my viewing history... i'm trying to keep my Lazy Town obsession hidden from my friends! Image

Archive

posted by DeMoN X on Jul 4, 2008:

Taucias said:

Where do you think the income comes from to pay for things like YouTube? Google uses it to target it's advertising services. Of course they're going to track that kind of data.

I don't get ads since I use Ad Muncher, So I could be wrong here - but I thought the adverts are random, and not based on what you watch.

So, again.. whats the point in tracking user data? lol

Archive

posted by RyanGamerGoneGrazy on Jul 5, 2008:

Google will have no problem facing any legal battles. After all, i highly doubt a company such as google wouldn't have predicted this happening.

Archive

posted by Jamtex on Jul 5, 2008:

Indeed they probably have the ropes and KY Jelly in readiness for Viacoms lawyers. Image

Archive

posted by Hawanja on Jul 7, 2008:

Back when I first got broadband I got a letter from BT who got a complaint from Symantec for me downloading Norton lol. Crapped myself and went out and bought a legit copy right away.

I stole Norton too in the begining, but I've paid the yearly fee for updates for half a decade now. That evens it out in my book. Finally got around to buying a legit copy last year. I don't feel bad about stealing from them. Maybe if it wasn't so damn expensive in the first place...

Anyway, guess this just means that I'll have to start browsing and downloading via proxy more often. It just amuzes me because each time they try to restrict what people do (namely, file sharing) it always backfires. People who want to download always seem to be one step ahead.

I don't even really use things like BT anymore, usually if I want to watch a movie half the time I can find a site that streams it, like cinimawiki.com or something. And as for music, just do a few googles, most of the time you can find what you want streaming off a website . For instance, if you want to download music from a site like project playlist (that normally doesn't allow you to save the song in question, just listen to it) you can just search your browser cache, or copy the url into a forum post like this one:

http://www.number1seed.com/music/Im_superbad.mp3

then just right click and "save as" and viola! Free song without paying. You don't even have to make the post, just hit "preview post" and save it then.

Point is, there are a thousand different little tricks like this that let you get anything you want and it's untraceable. All this bullshit about the MPAA and people getting sued is so irellevant... plus we forget about the whole rest of the world where copyright law means nothing (southeast Asia for instance.) It's just such a joke.

Archive

posted by Dark Seraph91 on Jul 7, 2008:

I hope my isp isnt monitoring my traffic cause im not the most honest fellow on the internet when it comes to downloading.

I mean tho seriously whos gonna pay a couple thousand dollars on PHOTOSHOP, seriously..the only people that should pay that are people who are actually making money of the product.

Archive

posted by Shadowlayer on Jul 7, 2008:

Youtube has been a lost cause for Google since day 1: online video isnt what most thought it was going to be, embedded ads just plain dont work and the cost of hosting said videos outweights any revenue you could get.

It will take google 50 years to get back the money they paid for youtube (then again, they paid using google stock, which means that if google goes down the aforementioned stocks will become worthless, meaning the youtube guys will be left with just a bunch of papers)

Viacom is a contradiction in itself: it tries to stay hip & young but it reeks of corporate putrefaction. The entire place is full of artist drones too dumb to get into the digital bandwagon, and too afraid of losing what little they get from their contracts.

Anyway, I'll rather use AVGfree than Norton. But if you think the paid version is better, get NOD32 or Kaspersky.

Archive

posted by alphagamer on Jul 7, 2008:

Shadowlayer said:

...(then again, they paid using google stock, which means that if google goes down the aforementioned stocks will become worthless, meaning the youtube guys will be left with just a bunch of papers)

serves them right :lol:

Archive

posted by Mr. Casual on Jul 7, 2008:

Dark Seraph91 said:

I hope my isp isnt monitoring my traffic cause im not the most honest fellow on the internet when it comes to downloading.

I mean tho seriously whos gonna pay a couple thousand dollars on PHOTOSHOP, seriously..the only people that should pay that are people who are actually making money of the product.

Well, I had photoshop elements on my old PC, and it did all I wanted it to do, and it didnt cost $1000. It cost more like $80, which IMO is still kind of a lot. The $2000 version is the one with every single little bell and whistle. If you use all of those well, they assume you're going to be using it for work related purposes, so thats why they charge that much, because they know you're gonna need it.

I learned this when I wanted to get 3dsmax, and I found out it literally cost $3000. I was wondering how all the guys on the Gmod forums were using it, and since most of them are so young, its more than likely that they all used cracked versions.

Archive

posted by GaijinPunch on Jul 8, 2008:

they paid using google stock, which means that if google goes down the aforementioned stocks will become worthless, meaning the youtube guys will be left with just a bunch of papers)

1: Youtube going tits up will not take Google down
2: They can sell before it does go down

Stocks are as good as (and sometimes better) money. Think of the world wide monetary value had they gotten paid in good old fashioned USD?