Yu Suzuki considering Crowdfunding/Kickstarter to fund Shenmue 3

Archive

Post by Archive » June 28th, 2019, 7:06 am

posted by ave on Mar 3, 2013:

Kaicer said:

I love it if they make a dreamcast release.

And I loved it if they released the next Avengers movie excusively on Laserdisc.

Archive

posted by Lowerlevels on Mar 3, 2013:

Well, that's an interesting question. If Suzuki sees his unfolding story as being relevant in today's market, with a pick up in speed and focus on action, then he may want to court consoles through it's online option (likelihood of physical game very low) with the purpose of redeeming the franchise. Shenmue as a series was stalled before the heart of the game was able to unfold. The first two chapters or episodes were slow with emphasis on back story and the opening up of the world of Ryo, using Hong Kong as the bridge towards the magical world of Lan-Di. Clearly, Shenmue as a franchise was tremendously ambitious. So, if Shenmue could be sped up to reach a hectic crescendo, on par with today's games, then perhaps it could have a chance in the contemporary market, sexed up and tweaked to fit today's gaming trends, a hybrid of sorts with a back story full enough to satisfy the original fanbase.

There could also be a more traditional Shenmue experience, as a console or P.C online purchase, perhaps distributed in parts like the walking dead. Something low key but clearly a hit within the fan base demographic with room for the new generation. Either way it would surely get a lot of buzz which would be fantastic marketing of the game itself.

It won't be on the dreamcast, that's not feasible. Perhaps through steam on PC, something like this.

So, most likely an online marketplace game, ported to consoles with the possibility of a P.C release or vice versa.

Again, if Suzuki's blueprint for Shenmue was to become more action oriented and lean as the story unfolded, forgoing the intimate world exploration and focusing more on visceral gameplay, then it may have a chance to compete and not get buried as an odd title that somehow fell out of a worm hole to grace an aging demographic.

It comes down to what Suzuki knows about this IP and whether it can inspire a new generation while keeping the older fanbase satiated.

Archive

posted by Vosse on Mar 3, 2013:

Would back. 100%.

No questions asked. If this was kickstarted. It would be funded, like. Instant.

Release it on all major consoles and PC.

Archive

posted by alecjahn on Mar 3, 2013:

I've always wondered why Sega will pump money into publishing some of the crap they've been putting out... yet they don't seem to want to even consider finishing Shenmue, a game that (if done correctly) should sell like hotcakes to people like us.

Archive

posted by GodofHardcore on Mar 3, 2013:

chao2 said:

I don't see this happening either too but if it did what system would it be on? pc,wii u,ps4, or the Next Xbox

All of the above'

By the way do you know where Sailors hang out?

Archive

posted by chao2 on Mar 3, 2013:

GodofHardcore said:

All of the above'

no where

Archive

posted by la-li-lu-le-lo on Mar 3, 2013:

GodofHardcore said:

All of the above'

They hang out in bars, mon.

Anyway, I would definitely invest in this. I find the whole thing unlikely, though.

Archive

posted by synrgy87 on Mar 3, 2013:

shenmue pinball - the tactical pineball rpg

Archive

posted by HEX1GON on Mar 3, 2013:

alecjahn said:

I've always wondered why Sega will pump money into publishing some of the crap they've been putting out... yet they don't seem to want to even consider finishing Shenmue, a game that (if done correctly) should sell like hotcakes to people like us.

Exactly right, I don't get it either. Then again, it could turn out horrible like NiGHTS on the Wii did... I just didn't like it as much as "Into dreams"

Archive

posted by sayin999 on Mar 4, 2013:

Financial risks really, it performed poorly when it came out. The amount of money needed to make it and how it performed was corporately embarrassing in a lot respects. It was really a game that was suppose to save the system. It got partially screwed by some really poor marketing in the west that didn't really emphasis to people why they should buy a dreamcast to play this unique experience.

At the same time the erratic the way part 2 was released which left people a bit confused about what the series was about if they were an average person and not familiar with it. You would think when microsoft bought exclusive rights they would of made a bigger push for the public to be aware of the game. I think them not porting both 1 and 2 in an arcade release or a compilation was a big mistake.

But considering sammy runs things now it make sense since they publish what they think will sell, hence sonic games and big movie liceness. Also consider if hypothetically this was a reality and the game turned out to be a huge success it would be like a financial blunder for them. So either way at this rate its a bit of a fantasy. Honestly shenmue is probably one of the biggest tragedies in the game industry. Why a book on the making of this game hasn't been made is beyond me. I would imagine a lot of interesting stories and scandals would be revealed. Probably sell better than shenmue 3.