Yu Suzuki retires

Archive

Yu Suzuki retires

Post by Archive » June 28th, 2019, 7:06 am

posted by jp. on Apr 9, 2009:

Piratero said:

Why would it be pointless if they wrote it on the Dreamcast? Also, where did you hear that Shenmue will be released to the Wii?

I'm not saying I'd prefer it on the Wii, but I mean, if the graphics for Shenmue III are still DC era, then they might as well just put it out on the Wii where everything else looks like its a generation old. Unless Sega magically started giving a shit, straight porting a "Dreamcast game" to the 360/PS3 probably wouldn't help them much in terms of sales/image.

Not that I care about sales/image... but... I doubt the suits at Sega feel the same way.

Also, the Shenmue I+II thing was a rumor from a long time ago, I have no idea what ever came of it.

Archive

Yu Suzuki retires

posted by Piratero on Apr 9, 2009:

jp. said:

I'm not saying I'd prefer it on the Wii, but I mean, if the graphics for Shenmue III are still DC era, then they might as well just put it out on the Wii where everything else looks like its a generation old. Unless Sega magically started giving a shit, straight porting a "Dreamcast game" to the 360/PS3 probably wouldn't help them much in terms of sales/image.

Not that I care about sales/image... but... I doubt the suits at Sega feel the same way.

Also, the Shenmue I+II thing was a rumor from a long time ago, I have no idea what ever came of it.

Ah, the textures. Actually, they might have high-res textures ready to use.

Either way, as many would: I would love to see Shenmue III. I know, it won't happen. Ever. Image

Archive

Yu Suzuki retires

posted by Hazuki on Apr 10, 2009:

Well forget shenmue 3 with sammy leading the way. Shenmue it is said that it is a 12 chapter saga with the first one to be the two games that have been released [heh that is what i remember from reading some previews back in 1999 at Total Control, nice mag Image]. Shenmue 3, maybe in next generation if Sega has any funds to develop it. Just my 2 cents.

Archive

Yu Suzuki retires

posted by kendrick on Apr 10, 2009:

Twelve chapters, yes. But that doesn't equate to twelve released titles. As I recall, the first Shenmue (Yokosuka) was only chapter one, but Shenmue II was chapters two through five. Six through twelve could easily inhabit one DVD (or one BD, if you prefer.)

Upon reflection, I'd be happy if the remainder of the story made it out in some medium other than a game. A manga that covers Ryo's adventures in China, his journey to the Americas and inevitable reuinions with Nozomi and Tom would be perfectly welcome in my home.

Archive

Yu Suzuki retires

posted by GaijinPunch on Apr 10, 2009:

It was supposed to be a very long running franchise. After Chapter 1 bombed, Chapters 3 - 6 I believe (2 is on the boat to HK) were released in II, and the rest were going to be in III.

Archive

Yu Suzuki retires

posted by Piratero on Apr 10, 2009:

kendrick said:

Twelve chapters, yes. But that doesn't equate to twelve released titles. As I recall, the first Shenmue (Yokosuka) was only chapter one, but Shenmue II was chapters two through five. Six through twelve could easily inhabit one DVD (or one BD, if you prefer.)

Upon reflection, I'd be happy if the remainder of the story made it out in some medium other than a game. A manga that covers Ryo's adventures in China, his journey to the Americas and inevitable reuinions with Nozomi and Tom would be perfectly welcome in my home.

Good suggestion. But I would prefer to have the game.

Archive

Yu Suzuki retires

posted by Hazuki on Apr 10, 2009:

Heh sorry my bad, i ment 16 chapters.

Archive

Yu Suzuki retires

posted by VMS on Apr 12, 2009:

Shenmue III novel or manga

Imagine if, years from now, the story was finally released in book form and totally sucked. Some fans would be so angry they might terrorize SEGA HQ.

I'm talking about the silliness that was shown in the Shenmue Online materials. When the (REAL?) Dragon & Phoenix clashed in the sky, a giant explosion went off just like AKIRA, giving the population mystical kung fu powers and mutating some characters into beasts (half spider/half man, for example). It looked like a martial arts world war scenario.

If that's really what happens, maybe Shenmue II was a good ending point. I rather liked the totally off-base, mystery WTF ending. It sat on the edge of full-blown mysticism that the games always hinted at, but stopped short of going there. Maybe SEGA just knows it would be silly to go there.

Archive

Yu Suzuki retires

posted by Shadowlayer on Apr 14, 2009:

Shemue didnt stand a chance at GTA, not because of quality on the latter, but the share complexity of the game.

GTA is a fast sandbox game that caters to mostly stupid, violence-fueled kids that dont even bother to complete the mission, and instead shoot random people on the street.

Shenmue is too complex, too long, too BORING for 99% of the GTA userbase...

Back on topic, it kinda suck balls, but look at the bright side: with these shitty announcements we can finaly put to rest any ideas or theories of SEGA making a glorious comeback.

Seriously, its almost stupid if you consider that episodic gaming is all the rage right now, and Shenmue could be re-released on any number of services like Steam or LIVE (fuck, SEGA could take a chance and release their own DoD service).

Now we can all be sure that SEGA is definitely just a brand, and nothing else.

Archive

Yu Suzuki retires

posted by Arthur-Otaku on Apr 14, 2009:

raylyd said:

Yu Suzuki need to start to make some new games

I agree badly