Zelda 64/ Ura-Zelda 64DD/ Zelda Gaiden

Archive

Post by Archive » June 28th, 2019, 7:07 am

posted by TransatlanticFoe on Jan 2, 2012:

First things first, I would like to say that I searched for an actual decent topic covering all this stuff, and most of what I found either devolved into a topic about something else entirely, or just didn't cover all of the bases.

Thanks to the guys over at Unseen 64, a lot of the info that has been collected over the years has been put into one long article. Unfortunately, because it was translated from Italian, the translations are a bit awkward as a result. Here is the article, for those that aren't familiar with it.

http://www.unseen64.net/articles/zelda64-project-development/

The purpose of this topic is not to re-do what monokoma and others did over at Unseen 64, but to come up with something a little more coherent, and focused (no offense to those guys, of course), with an emphasis on the "true" Ura-Zelda and Gaiden when it was being developed for the 64DD, and less of an emphasis on "Beta quests" (Though some of the stuff featured in those "quests" is probably linked to the 64DD connectivity that the original cartridge version of OoT had, so I suppose it's still relevant to the discussion).

I would like to separate the facts from the fiction, and discuss a couple of things. I figured instead of going to a Zelda forum (which may be over saturated with kids who couldn't care less about this stuff), I figured I'd ask the diehards over here instead.

1) How much is really known about the Mario Artist:Talent Studio/ GB Camera/Capture Cartridge connectivity with Ura Zelda and/or Zelda Gaiden? Was this only discussed in passing by Miyamoto-san and co., or is there evidence of more "mask" related stuff in OoT/MM's code?

I did find this in an older topic, that does shed some light on it.

Nintendomad said:

Yes Master Quest was a part of the 64DD game, but after clearing all thew dungeons, more dungeons opened, as well as extra battles. The game was planned to have some sort of randnet connectivity too, which says to me that a boss rush, or something similar would be in practice, as well as the known fact that the disk would be compatible with the mario artist titles, and also include mask games that were present in Majora no Kamen.

Maybe a lot of those masks had originally been intended for the DD version of Majora's Mask, when it was still under the "Gaiden" name. It sounds like Ura was going to include masks, and it's probably safe to assume that the emphasis on masks in Majora was something that was lifted from Ura-Zelda.

2) I know that Zelda Gaiden/MM would have utilized the internal clock of the 64DD (which would have included a lot of the features intended for Zelda 64) and was originally slated to last 7 days instead of 3, (as well as add a new fishing mini-game), but were their any other (known) features that were scrapped that didn't make the cut to cartridge? Were dungeons really left unfinished/removed, or is that just speculation?

3) Is it safe to assume a lot of the things that would have been in the 64DD version of Ura Zelda, ended up in Majora's Mask? (Since we all know that Master Quest is a poor man's Ura-Zelda, and didn't really "add" much of anything)?

Early on, Miyamoto made it sound like Ura-Zelda would have in fact had new content in "similar environments", but then later seemed to go back on that, which is why I have a theory that a lot of the Ura stuff ended up in MM. I'm not sure if it's just a rough translation of Japanese to Italian, and then to English, but Miyamoto was quoted as saying

“you first play the initial disk version of Zelda — after finishing everything, you can enter into the world, into the basic design of the same."

If that's anything close to what he said, it probably means that Ura was (at that point in development) planned to be something very much like the Master Quest which we ultimately got, but had originally been planned to add new content to Ocarina of Time. This new content was later absorbed into Zelda Gaiden on the 64DD, which quickly evolved into the cart version of Majora's Mask, losing a lot of planned features in the process..again..

I've looked at the debug threads as well, and it sounds like nothing major (like say, the Unicorn Fountain) has been found in the code for OoT, MQ, or MM. It's definitely interesting to see so much beta stuff pop up after all of these years, but it's doubtful much of that was considered for Ura, with some of it being as old as it is (I'm mainly referring to stuff seen in screens/videos from '96/'97).

Sorry for such a massive post! I look forward to hearing from other diehard Zelda OoT/MM enthusiasts, and N64/DD fans a like. Image

Archive

posted by syntax error on Jan 2, 2012:

for unused content in the roms you could lookup TCRF and glitterberri's page for a lot of screenshots from older builds.

Archive

posted by Prometheus on Jan 2, 2012:

Yeah, there is a lot of unused content shown on TCRF. Here's the links if anyone is interested:

Zelda OoT: http://tcrf.net/The_Legend_of_Zelda:_Ocarina_of_Time
Zelda OoT Debug: http://tcrf.net/The_Legend_of_Zelda:_Ocarina_of_Time_(Debug_version)

Zelda MM: http://tcrf.net/The_Legend_of_Zelda:_Majora's_Mask
Zelda MM Debug: http://tcrf.net/The_Legend_of_Zelda:_Majora's_Mask_(Debug_Version)

Archive

posted by TransatlanticFoe on Jan 2, 2012:

Thanks for the links guys. Greatly appreciated!

I've made some edits to my original post, and tried to clean it up a bit. Covering all of this stuff in one post is exhausting >_>

It's interesting that the 3DS version of OoT got a boss rush mode, which may or may not have been intended for Ura-Zelda based on past speculation. Of course..there still ended up being no "new" content, which was a bit of a let down. The addition of Master Quest was a nice gesture, but nothing to get excited about.

It would be amazing if a 3DS version of Majora's Mask was made, with some of the things intended for the DD version, but I'm not getting my hopes up for that one. It's something I would be very surprised to see, if it happened.

Archive

posted by CoBrA2168 on Jan 2, 2012:

There was this site called Zelda Coalition that had so much information about Zelda 64 Beta and Zelda 64DD. I know that there is a backup of it somewhere, I can possibly put you in touch with that person.

On a side note, I would pay lots of money for Zelda 64 beta.

Archive

posted by takeshi385 on Jan 3, 2012:

If your really interested about ura zelda, this guy is rebuilding it down to the last detail : http://www.youtube.com/user/ZethN64.

The best part is when its finished you can put it on a n64 flash cart and play it.

Archive

posted by xdaniel on Jan 3, 2012:

takeshi385: Ura Project =/= Ura Zelda. It's not a restoration of the official Ura Zelda, see the project's site: http://uraproject.the-gcn.com/about.php

CoBrA2168: Zelda's Secret Ocarina, the forums were the Zelda Coalition. That said: http://wayback.archive.org/web/*/http://zso.krahs-emag.com/ - of course it's the Internet Archive so it's by no means perfect, but stuff can be found. Note, however, that some of those articles and descriptions weren't very accurate.

Archive

posted by TransatlanticFoe on Jan 4, 2012:

I just realized that Assembler member Nintendomad, who was very knowledgeable about this stuff, seems to have passed away. =(

RIP to a true Nintendo diehard.

Thanks to everyone that has contributed to this topic so far. I realize this stuff may have been discussed to death previously on the forum, but once I get some more facts straight, I would like to come up with a compressive guide to everything that these games were original going to feature, and eventually get this topic stickied (hopefully) so that people won't have to repeat themselves anymore.Image

Archive

posted by ma777 on Apr 30, 2013:

Umm? Anybody know whats going on? The website has been deleted along with his youtube account.

Archive

posted by Prometheus on Apr 30, 2013:

Huh, I wonder when that happened?

Last I remember (a few months ago I think) there were a few issues with getting the new trailer released. It kept getting postponed then ZethN64 had a death in the family and couldn't bring himself to finish it before the deadline. Some people were getting tired of excuses and wondering if Zeth was BSing because he didn't have the trailer ready in time. Lots of arguing, but I don't remember it getting too out of hand.

Shame, the project looked real promising. Why would he delete his account though? Hmm, maybe he got fed up with people demanding the trailer and just said "fuck it" and deleted everything until he feels ready to come back.