Zelda gb proto on eBay

Archive

Zelda gb proto on eBay

Post by Archive » June 28th, 2019, 7:07 am

posted by Xzx123 on Sep 25, 2016:

jossan said:

I don't see how this cart is much different from photos of other GB dev carts being posted in this thread? The main photo in my listing was showing the cart with the front of the shell removed. I later added a photo of the cart fully assembled.

What people have been pointing out is that this Zelda proto does not come on an official development PCB but rather on a modified retail PCB.

Archive

Zelda gb proto on eBay

posted by ASSEMbler on Sep 25, 2016:

kennypecheur said:

What a weighty argument....

Why are you 100% sure it is a fake ?

Because nintendo makes custom pcbs. Do you really think nintendo, the consummate professionals of gaming would EVER EVER
run short of eprom boards? That they would resort to some hack garbage with floppy drive cables? Never, ever ever.

It's absurd to think they would have no eprom cartridge around at all, nor any used ones the could reflash. That somehow, for one of their most important titles they would resort to home made radio shack bodge GARBAGE.

Absurd. Utterly absurd.

Archive

Zelda gb proto on eBay

posted by kennypecheur on Sep 25, 2016:

ASSEMbler said:

Because nintendo makes custom pcbs. Do you really think nintendo, the consummate professionals of gaming would EVER EVER
run short of eprom boards? That they would resort to some hack garbage with floppy drive cables? Never, ever ever.

It's absurd to think they would have no eprom cartridge around at all, nor any used ones the could reflash. That somehow, for one of their most important titles they would resort to home made radio shack bodge GARBAGE.

Absurd. Utterly absurd.

You said it "most important titles". This mean probably bigger games, which probably mean more data. So it can be possible that the eprom on original flash card was too small to contain game datas during development process so they used to "hijack" their own cards. Also, the flash cards were maybe not totally finished at that time. I mean, are we sure that flashcards has been used at the beginning of gameboy development era ? We have not idea. So in my opinion, everything is possible when it comes to prototypes. All of this are suppositions, and nobody can say that it is 100% fake or true unless he has worked on the project.

Archive

Zelda gb proto on eBay

posted by kennypecheur on Sep 25, 2016:

Sonny_Jim said:

Don't think so, the pic shows an M27C4001 (4mbit/512KB), retail ROM is 512KB.

Thanks for your feedback.

Archive

Zelda gb proto on eBay

posted by badinsults on Sep 26, 2016:

I got the Speedy Gonzales prototype, it is 100% legit.

Archive

Zelda gb proto on eBay

posted by MottZilla on Sep 26, 2016:

kennypecheur said:

You said it "most important titles". This mean probably bigger games, which probably mean more data. So it can be possible that the eprom on original flash card was too small to contain game datas during development process so they used to "hijack" their own cards. Also, the flash cards were maybe not totally finished at that time. I mean, are we sure that flashcards has been used at the beginning of gameboy development era ? We have not idea. So in my opinion, everything is possible when it comes to prototypes. All of this are suppositions, and nobody can say that it is 100% fake or true unless he has worked on the project.

Gameboy came out in 89' and Zelda didn't come around until '93. So are you saying in 4 years Nintendo couldn't produce EPROM development PCBs? Bigger games or important titles? Which is it? What could be more important than a 1st party franchise like Zelda? As for data size, the game is 4 megabits. By 1993 this also wasn't really "big". Also these are not "flash cards". These are development boards that take industry standard EPROMs. It's as certain as can be that these were available at the beginning of the Gameboy era. Gameboy wasn't Nintendo's first system. The Famicom and NES were long established. They had similar boards. So did the SFC/SNES which also pre-date Zelda on Gameboy.

Maybe it's a "sample" from somewhere, but certainly not Nintendo of Japan and I wouldn't think Nintendo of America either.

Archive

Zelda gb proto on eBay

posted by kennypecheur on Sep 26, 2016:

MottZilla said:

Gameboy came out in 89' and Zelda didn't come around until '93. So are you saying in 4 years Nintendo couldn't produce EPROM development PCBs? Bigger games or important titles? Which is it? What could be more important than a 1st party franchise like Zelda? As for data size, the game is 4 megabits. By 1993 this also wasn't really "big". Also these are not "flash cards". These are development boards that take industry standard EPROMs. It's as certain as can be that these were available at the beginning of the Gameboy era. Gameboy wasn't Nintendo's first system. The Famicom and NES were long established. They had similar boards. So did the SFC/SNES which also pre-date Zelda on Gameboy.

Maybe it's a "sample" from somewhere, but certainly not Nintendo of Japan and I wouldn't think Nintendo of America either.

There is a misunderstanding here. I am actually talking about bigger games, I didn't say "bigger than zelda". So I was including Zelda in the lot.

I tough it was a modified flashcard, sorry for my misunderstanding. I was indeed saying that (in the case it was a flashcard) Nintendo was probably using PCBs development cart (like the ones sent to journalists for review) in the early years of the gameboy era, because flashcards came probably later in the gameboy life. But now that I understand the it is not a flashcard, this argument doesn't stand anymore.

I think we will not be able to more about this cart unless the buyer releases some informations about it.

Archive

Zelda gb proto on eBay

posted by Sonny_Jim on Sep 30, 2016:

jossan said:

I don't see how this cart is much different from photos of other GB dev carts being posted in this thread?

You saying that just makes me even *more* suspicious. You honestly can't see the difference between a cleanly made, manufactured PCB and one that's got a piece of freakin' vero board and IDE cable soldered on it?

I could give you the benefit of the doubt *if* you hadn't seen the internals of a 'real' dev cart, but you took *close up pictures* of the other cart PCBs.

In case it 'slipped your memory', this is what the other carts looked like when you took a picture of it, can you spot the difference?

Something don't smell right here....

Archive

Zelda gb proto on eBay

posted by plimdaddy on Sep 30, 2016:

Holy shit the final build jumped up.

Archive

Zelda gb proto on eBay

posted by Xzx123 on Sep 30, 2016:

plimdaddy said:

Holy shit the final build jumped up.