Zelda: The Hyrule Fantasy BETA?

Archive

Post by Archive » June 28th, 2019, 7:07 am

posted by djandy76 on Feb 17, 2010:

>>randyrandall

To be honest, if I can just get a steady enough picture to finally see what's on my disk, I'll settle for that for the time being!

Archive

posted by randyrandall on Feb 17, 2010:

Yeah. As far as my understanding goes, NTSC signals are the same in America and Japan.. The issue arises because NTSC refreshes faster than PAL, so OLD Tvs are not designed to refresh that fast so would produce a rolling picture. Getting newer, they can display it, but do not understand the colour encoding, so show in B+W. Mates 14" TV from.. 1997 or so is an example.

Using a RGB connection resolves this issue as the colour encoding isnt used, the signal is split into 3 colours.. but obviously as the FDS is old it probably doesnt support it.

One way you could test, some PAL PS2 games can switch to 60hz I believe, but I dont think they all do PAL 60.. some do NTSC.. meaning that incompativle TVs will show a B+W image..see what image they produce if you have any to hand. Some DVD players allow you to press 'region', and switch between Auto, Pal, or NTSC.

Theres a list of PS2 games in this thread http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/38/121718

Archive

That's good information to have, randyrandall, thanks. As it happens, I've still got my trusty old Sony CRT TV in the other room. Perhaps that might come in handy if the modern one has trouble. Like I said earlier, my goal is simply to get the disk to run and be able to view the contents. If they happen to be in black and white to begin with, at least I'll be able to post the results.

Archive

posted by randyrandall on Feb 17, 2010:

Id guess that, as long as your TV doesnt just have an RF input for video, then you're gonna get a steady black and white image at least.. look forwards to results..

Archive

The CRT TV has RF, Scart and composite input. I'm sure one of those connections will do the trick. Problem could be getting the right cable for the non-RF connections though...

Archive

posted by MottZilla on Feb 17, 2010:

The problem with PAL TVs and RF from Famicom is the Japanese Channel 1 and Channel 2 it outputs on may not be tunable on your PAL TV. In the US if you TV can tune to something like Channel 96, you can use it. But I think with PAL TVs you're screwwed and need Composite. Atleast this is what I remember when I last read about it. It's not a NTSC vs PAL issue as many PAL TVs are multi color system anyway.

Archive

posted by graphique on Feb 17, 2010:

djandy76 said:

Hi graphique. That's a very good idea, thanks. One question though: if the drive does turn out to be broken, is the band-replacement procedure the same as for the standard Disk System?

The replacement procedure for the Twin is available online too with a pictorial walkthrough; it does use the same bands as a regular FDS. I personally have had zero luck with it though. I finally got my Twin working by buying two replacement drives on YJ, one of which worked.

Archive

posted by djandy76 on Feb 18, 2010:

>>Mottzilla
Yeah, that's the kind of thing I'm beginning to find now I'm looking into it more. Perhaps there's also a chance of getting on that has some sort of modulator for use on PAL TVs...

>>graphique
Well, if I fail to do it myself, I'll see if a technically-minded friend of mine can help. Failing that, I suppose I'll have to resort to YJ auctions too.

Archive

posted by djandy76 on Dec 27, 2010:

Not sure if there's anyone left following this thread, but after reading about the recently released Zelda FDS prototype by Segaloco, I thought I'd finally get round to what I should've done ages ago and buy a Famicom and Disk System set. Luckily for me, I decided to holiday in Japan this winter, so managed to locate a decent looking one on Yahoo! Auctions last night and the seller confirmed it was shipped today. Also, I didn't want to take any chances with new-TV incompatibility, so I went for a unit that's been modified to output a composite signal via an AV cable.

Once it arrives, I plan to peruse at the contents of the disk and post a follow-up here, regardless of what the actual contents turn out to be. Seeing as the released proto version had "ZEL" written on the disk, my hopes aren't high for my one to be honest as it seems to be just a virtually unmarked disk. Still, for those still following thread, I'll aim to bring it to a close shortly.

Archive

posted by chaoticdaos on Dec 27, 2010:

Good way to revive this thread.
I'm hoping with ya bud! Think thoughts of betas