Zelda: The Hyrule Fantasy BETA?

Archive

Post by Archive » June 28th, 2019, 7:07 am

posted by djandy76 on Aug 10, 2009:

Hi everyone,

As you'll no doubt notice from my status, I'm quite new to all of this, but didn't want that to stand in the way of asking the more seasoned members of the forum to help me determine if I've gained possession of a rare piece of gaming history.

Okay, here goes, from the beginning...

About a month ago, I won an auction for a so-called beta version of the original Japanese Zelda no denstesu for the Famicom Disk System. Before bidding, I scutinised the pictures as thoroughly as I could and, since I read Japanese, was able to quickly spot the "開発用ディスクカード" ("Development Disk Card") label on the disk itself. Being an avid collector of gaming rarities as well as currently working in the industry has taught me that early builds of games tend to contain large amounts of material that either gets changed or removed altogether from the final builds.

Anyway, after finally finding some free time, I was able to photo the disk, case and associated packaging to present to the members of this forum. I must stress that the software has not been tested by me yet as I don't have the necessary hardware.

So, if there is anyone who can help me determine the authenticity of this disk, please don't hesitate to reply or send me a PM. Ultimately, I'd like to try the item out on an actual Famicom Disk System, but I've read that the drives tend break down (something to do with a rubber band?) and I really don't want to put the disk in any danger.

Archive

posted by Tenchi on Aug 10, 2009:

wow nice, I have never seen this before :love:

do you wanna sell it :redface:

Archive

Hi Tenchi!

First things first, I want to get the thing properly verified.

Once I know exactly what I have, I may consider selling, but I'll probably be happier with a trade. I collect all things Biohazard and also developer hardware (debug machines and such).

I spent 8 years in Japan and so have amassed quite a collection of bits and pieces.

Archive

posted by hl718 on Aug 10, 2009:

Unfortunately the only way to really verify the contents is to load it up in an actual FDS. It could be nothing more than a retail copy of the game or it could be an early revision.

FDSs do have their drive belts break down after years of use, but replacing the belt is a minor repair and it's not something that you have to worry about damaging the disk.

On the upside a Fami+FDS isn't horribly expensive or uncommon so determining exactly what is on the disc should be relatively easy for you. Image

And welcome to the boards!

-hl718

Archive

posted by MottZilla on Aug 10, 2009:

There are members here which have the equipment to copy the Disk image to a file for you to back it up and use it on emulators as well. Should it be anything interesting it would be wise to get someone to make a backup copy for you. And hopefully if it is anything interesting you will share pictures or video with us. Image

Archive

Hi hl718!

Yes, during my time in Japan, I purchased a number of Famicom Disk Systems for the sole purpose of selling them on, which I did. Now, however, I only know one person who owns one, but they currently reside in the UK.

I have at least one trip planned there, but not until later in the year.

On a side note, I discovered the following site a while back which confirms that the so-called "Development Disk Cards" are second only to the gold-coloured disks (competition prizes) in terms of rareness:

http://park19.wakwak.com/~fantasy/fds/disktype/disktype.htm

I suppose what this means is, even if the contents of mine don't turn out to be spectacular, hopefully I'll still have something relatively unusual!

Archive

Hi MottZilla!

That's very encouraging indeed. Like I said in my introductory piece, it's the knowledge and expertise of the people in this forum I'm after.

Although, and I'm sure you'll understand, I'm reluctant to send the software itself to someone I've not met, I find myself in various places quite often (mostly Japan, England and Germany), meaning if there was someone living nearby, I could meet them in person.

Naturally, I'd be happy to share any videos and/or screen shots here!

Archive

Sorry, but I've got no idea why the link in my post above isn't appearing properly.

Archive

posted by MottZilla on Aug 11, 2009:

We have members all over, maybe one who can dump FDS disks lives somewhere nearby. You might have to make a new topic or something saying you need someone that can dump a FDS disk for you. I understand not wanting to mail it off.

Archive

posted by drx on Aug 11, 2009:

Interesting, I have PMed you about helping you with the disk.