Zelda

Archive

Zelda

Post by Archive » June 28th, 2019, 7:07 am

posted by mairsil on Aug 28, 2011:

HCK said:

I think Zelda would do well with a twist of MMORPG, meaning the truly expansive lands and multitude of things with which to equip yourself.

Comments like this just piss me off. If you don't like the game mechanics, go somewhere else. I'm tired of seeing good franchises ruined because a couple of people (i.e. NOT the target audience) makes a couple of statements about how to "improve" a game and idiot developers/publishers jumping on those comments. Look at Phantasy Star, Final Fantasy, KOTOR... all lost to MMO tendencies. Mass Effect 2 dropped most of the RPG content that was in the first one because a few FPS nuts complained about it.

Archive

Zelda

posted by HCK on Aug 28, 2011:

mairsil said:

Comments like this just piss me off. If you don't like the game mechanics, go somewhere else. I'm tired of seeing good franchises ruined because a couple of people (i.e. NOT the target audience) makes a couple of statements about how to "improve" a game and idiot developers/publishers jumping on those comments. Look at Phantasy Star, Final Fantasy, KOTOR... all lost to MMO tendencies. Mass Effect 2 dropped most of the RPG content that was in the first one because a few FPS nuts complained about it.

How am I not the target audience? I've been playing Zelda since the original NES version. It was the first NES game I heard about and I begged for it (since I only got a $5 a week allowance) and was given it by my step-grandmother for my birthday. Since then I've played every new zelda at release, and I've owned every new Nintendo platform at release. I even preordered Oot so that I'd get the Gold Cart and got the re-release on the GC.

Saying that a level system should be added is nothing new. It was there in Zelda II and when I revisited it recently, I thought it made for a nice change of pace. It gave combat a point beyond rupees and hearts.

Archive

Zelda

posted by pstrick1 on Aug 28, 2011:

HCK said:

How am I not the target audience? I've been playing Zelda since the original NES version. It was the first NES game I heard about and I begged for it (since I only got a $5 a week allowance) and was given it by my step-grandmother for my birthday. Since then I've played every new zelda at release, and I've owned every new Nintendo platform at release. I even preordered Oot so that I'd get the Gold Cart and got the re-release on the GC.

Saying that a level system should be added is nothing new. It was there in Zelda II and when I revisited it recently, I thought it made for a nice change of pace. It gave combat a point beyond rupees and hearts.

Dude, that's like saying "I hate HALO, but have played every HALO game. Therefore, I am the target audience."

The target audience is who Nintendo chooses it to be. Nintendo could choose to make a mini-game based Zelda game with the intended audience being small gay children. You would not be the target audience because you are neither young nor gay. Just because you bought the game, you would not become young or gay, either.

However, a good potion of your logic seems to be 1/2 a step out of sync with reality, so this comment may prove fruitless.

On a side note, TP was not a great Zelda game. I felt it lost a good amount of the adventure feel found in Link's Awakening, Wind Waker and Majora's Mask.

Archive

Zelda

paul.strickler1 said:

Dude, that's like saying "I hate HALO, but have played every HALO game. Therefore, I am the target audience."

The target audience is who Nintendo chooses it to be. Nintendo could choose to make a mini-game based Zelda game with the intended audience being small gay children. You would not be the target audience because you are neither young nor gay. Just because you bought the game, you would not become young or gay, either.

However, a good potion of your logic seems to be 1/2 a step out of sync with reality, so this comment may prove fruitless.

On a side note, TP was not a great Zelda game. I felt it lost a good amount of the adventure feel found in Link's Awakening, Wind Waker and Majora's Mask.

I never said that I hated Zelda Image I feel that it's become stagnant and needs to be rejiggered; but I love me some Zelda, that's fer sure.

And I'm just wondering... just where is my logic out of sync with reality...?

Archive

Zelda

posted by mairsil on Aug 28, 2011:

HCK said:

I feel that it's become stagnant and needs to be rejiggered...

No, your "suggestion" would change Zelda into something its not. You brought up Zelda II as an example. A valid point, but how many people absolutely hated it because of the traditional RPG leveling and the sidescrolling aspects? Those two things completely changed the game and were, thankfully, only one-off attempts.

Archive

Zelda

mairsil said:

No, your "suggestion" would change Zelda into something its not. You brought up Zelda II as an example. A valid point, but how many people absolutely hated it because of the traditional RPG leveling and the sidescrolling aspects? Those two things completely changed the game and were, thankfully, only one-off attempts.

I don't know... I've found a lot of people who actually like Zelda II. I mean, even around this forum people routinely list it as one of their favor Zeldas, some saying that they liked it even better than the first one.

The thought came from me playing TP and continuously running across fields where I passes all these enemies where there was no point in attacking them. Or in dungeons where I had all the rupees I could carry and didn't need hearts but I still had to fight easily defeated enemies. I think it would add more of a point to the fighting as you traverse huge tracks of land.

Archive

Zelda

posted by f2bnp on Aug 29, 2011:

You grew up. I think that's what's wrong. My favorite Zelda game is the one I grew up with, Link's Awakening on the GameBoy Color. Nothing like trying to watch my brother play and him moving the Gameboy away so that I couldn't hahaha. And the music... I loved it. I would just boot the game up to listen to the Zelda tune on the title screen. Never beat it, I think I have to sometime.
I've tried to play OoT a ton of times but I find that it looks completely ugly today, what really kills it are the prerendered towns and open fields which look very empty (a common problem with early 3D RPG and Adventure games). And I play a ton of DOS Games to this day from the early 90's and late 80's Image. Majora's Mask was fully 3D and was much much better on that regard. I kinda liked Link to the Past when I tried to actually sit down and play it, although really not that much. Listening to the music recently(especially Sanctuary Dungeon) has got me a bit worked up to play it again though.
To me, Link's Awakening will always be the best one, not because it's necessarily the best in the series, but because it is the first one I played and it brings back so many memories of carefree times when I was still a little kid and I would just play games and not care for the world.

Archive

Zelda

posted by Importaku on Aug 29, 2011:

mairsil said:

Yup i have seen very few people rate the second zelda highly, for exactly the reasons you mentioned. It's the reason nintendo didn't keep the levelling in further games as it wasn't needed & players didn't like it. However in later games the sidescrolling returned in limited form however i never found it as bad as i did when i played zelda 2, it just seems clunkier in that version.

People play zelda because it's exactly that, they know what they are getting when they play. They know how the puzzles work, you take the experiences from one game to the next so you know how to solve things, sure they add new ways to do stuff but the core basics remain the same. Levelling like final fantasy or dragon quest wouldn't work well in a zelda game, it's not like the bosses are just ones that you hack away at & need loads of strength to beat, all zelda bosses use the weak point formula which doesnt require you to be really strong just requires you to know how to use your equipment against them.

LOL whats next, people complaining that link doesnt have a gun.

Archive

Zelda

posted by HCK on Aug 29, 2011:

Why couldn't they give him a gun?

I mean, they could do a far future Zelda where everyone has guns and future things like laser boomerangs. It could be totally cool. Like a cross between Zelda and Metroid, but a little more like Zelda and Halo.

Besides, didn't Miyamoto once think to make Oot first person? This way, his dream could happen!

If Nintendo could do that and have online multiplayer.. oh my God, Sony and MS would have nothing. I can't think of anything that would be better than online multiplayer laser Zelda.

Archive

Zelda

posted by Importaku on Aug 29, 2011:

LOL

Sega already went there, shadow the hedgehog. Oh what were they thinking.