¿Force "240p" mode on Dreamcast Games?

Archive

Post by Archive » June 28th, 2019, 7:13 am

posted by Linkr2 on Nov 25, 2015:

Hi!

Unfortunately not all Dreamcast games which are meant to look in low resolution mode, have the option.

Games such as Last Blade 2 look amazing in this low res "240p" mode natively, but other like GAROU MOTW work in 480i (nonsense as it is a neogeo port).

Other like Street Fighter Third Strike allow you to activate this low res mode by pressing L+Start before the Capcom logo.

My question here, is, ¿Can we force the 240p mode? For example in Garou Motw.

I am researching but I am very noob in all this affairs. I know it's been possible to do that in Playstation 2 games by modifying hex files.

Also I know you can mod some games in Dreamcast to force VGA mode by modifying this hex numbers:

-open the file in the hex editor (preferably CDI format)
-search for the string "KATANA"
-shortly after, you should see "JUE" followed by some numbers
-change the number string after "JUE" to "0799A10"
-save the file ( I recommend over-writing the original file, so you don't accidentally burn your old, non-patched image)

So I imagine that maybe is possible to force 240p mode. I'm now comparing HEX of games with and without "240p" resolution, but my knowledge is very low in this area.

¿Can someone give a helping hand?

Sorry about my English : )

Archive

posted by LordFenixNC on Nov 25, 2015:

For what I been told about the quality difference... if it improves the quality over vga and hdmi. I 100% support you.... hope this goes some where.

Archive

posted by Linkr2 on Nov 25, 2015:

It is a high quality improvement when connected to a CRT display (specially with RGB), it makes the game look sharp, with scanlines, no flickering, just as good retro low resolution arcade game with 15Khz signal. Just as it was meant to be.

And just as the NEOGEO output games, that's why Last Blade looks great on DC. It was really a nonsense from SNK, when the original game (GAROU) works in low res, and the Dreamcast is capable of that output.

PD: But I need a bit of help from the amazing people on this forums, which have a lot more knowledge! If it's possible in PS2 why not on Dreamcast : )