“EEPROM id or version err” on Guilty Gear X (Naomi)

Archive

Post by Archive » June 28th, 2019, 7:13 am

posted by MangledLeg on Dec 5, 2017:

I was testing a Guilty Gear X cart on a Naomi last night and got a weird error during boot - Naomi booted fine, but after the screen goes black to load the cart after the splash logo I get the following text in the top-left in white writing:

EEPROM id or Version Err
Release Execuet GameTestMode
EEPROM / MASKROM
ID: 0 / e5e4
VER: 0 / 160
Press any key to Start Default Setting

I’ve tested other carts on the same board and everything loads correctly. Setup is Naomi (latest Japanese BIOS, DIP 1 ON for 15k) >> Capcom Converter >> JAMMA >> SUN PSU + 15k monitor + 2p6b CP with CPS2 kick harness.

I’ve got another GGX cart and another Naomi PCB I haven’t tested yet in case it’s an issue with the cart/PCB itself (tonight’s job when I get home). Holding down P1 Start at that screen boots the game and it runs perfectly. Running the test on the cart came up with all ROMs good too, last time I tested the PCB the RAM checked out was fine as well. I’ve gone into the game’s settings and changed things around in case something needed to be reset and written back to memory. I’ve also just swapped the CR2032 on the Naomi with a fresh battery and set it to free play as well. Might try tonight with standard credit settings.

Anywho, any thoughts??

Archive

posted by Gamemaster14XIV on Dec 7, 2017:

I do not have the original Guilty Gear X but I know when I turn on any versions of Guilty Gear XX on Naomi or Naomi 2, It throws a similar error until I go into game test mode and save settings (Enter game test move, then select save and exit). I believe it needs its settings defaults to be saved as the game itself does not have the ability to overwrite the previous game's settings.

Guilty Gear XX, Gulity Gear XX #Reload and Gulity Gear XX Accent Core are the only games I own for Naomi or Naomi 2 which require this to be done.

Archive

posted by MetalliC on Dec 11, 2017:

Gamemaster14XIV said:

when I turn on any versions of Guilty Gear XX on Naomi or Naomi 2, It throws a similar error until I go into game test mode and save settings (Enter game test move, then select save and exit).

are you sure ? there is enough to press any button at first game boot.

in general - this "error" message is just notification, it will be shown each time cartridge or GD-ROM was swapped from some another game to GG.
but if it will be shown at next game boot too - this is sign of bad CR2032 or SRAM chip on Naomi mobo.

Archive

posted by Gamemaster14XIV on Dec 13, 2017:

With the Guilty Gear XX games, it just stays at the error screen saying that the settings need to be initialized or something, then boots like normal once you go into game test mode and save. It happens on both Naomi and Naomi 2 boards so I would figure Guilty Gear XX just does not have the ability to erase the settings and replace them with its own.