Xbox One Dev/Debug Board
Xbox One Dev/Debug Board
posted by awwsnapwet on Nov 13, 2017:
Does anyone have any idea what this can do? Or if it has any value for someone who would want to bugger with Xbone? (I assume it is for debugging)
https://imgur.com/a/Xyc8j
Does anyone have any idea what this can do? Or if it has any value for someone who would want to bugger with Xbone? (I assume it is for debugging)
https://imgur.com/a/Xyc8j
Xbox One Dev/Debug Board
posted by awwsnapwet on Nov 13, 2017:
Link Update:
https://puu.sh/ylxZ4/7e2605da4a.jpg
https://puu.sh/yly1J/72b459af24.jpg
Link Update:
https://puu.sh/ylxZ4/7e2605da4a.jpg
https://puu.sh/yly1J/72b459af24.jpg
Xbox One Dev/Debug Board
posted by darkspire17 on Nov 13, 2017:
thought any Current gen stuff was banned
thought any Current gen stuff was banned
Xbox One Dev/Debug Board
posted by awwsnapwet on Nov 13, 2017:

Whoops, I accidentally put the X in the title. Anyways ill remove this if its not allowed
darkspire17 said:
thought any Current gen stuff was banned

Xbox One Dev/Debug Board
posted by ddxcb on Nov 13, 2017:
possible SPI tool for flashing nand and the other stuff.
possible SPI tool for flashing nand and the other stuff.
Xbox One Dev/Debug Board
posted by PixelButts on Nov 14, 2017:
PM'd
PM'd
Xbox One Dev/Debug Board
posted by TriMesh on Nov 14, 2017:
From the look of it, it's a combined JTAG/SPI/Serial adapter board. The photo is too blurred to be sure, but I assume that 64 pin LQFP in the center left of the board is a FT2232H, which can handle all those protocols (along with I2C and output of arbitrary data). If that is the case, then what it does is entirely up to the host software on the PC it's connected to.
The displays at the bottom of the board presumably show the POST codes.
It's certainly interesting, but I'm not sure how helpful it will be because I'm quite sure that Microsoft will have inhibited the ability to do anything very useful via the JTAG port on retail xbox ones.
From the look of it, it's a combined JTAG/SPI/Serial adapter board. The photo is too blurred to be sure, but I assume that 64 pin LQFP in the center left of the board is a FT2232H, which can handle all those protocols (along with I2C and output of arbitrary data). If that is the case, then what it does is entirely up to the host software on the PC it's connected to.
The displays at the bottom of the board presumably show the POST codes.
It's certainly interesting, but I'm not sure how helpful it will be because I'm quite sure that Microsoft will have inhibited the ability to do anything very useful via the JTAG port on retail xbox ones.
Xbox One Dev/Debug Board
posted by awwsnapwet on Nov 14, 2017:
So basically I would have to find someone online to sell me an Xbox One prototype console that has the jtag cable in/on it to do anything cool?
TriMesh said:
From the look of it, it's a combined JTAG/SPI/Serial adapter board. The photo is too blurred to be sure, but I assume that 64 pin LQFP in the center left of the board is a FT2232H, which can handle all those protocols (along with I2C and output of arbitrary data). If that is the case, then what it does is entirely up to the host software on the PC it's connected to.
The displays at the bottom of the board presumably show the POST codes.
It's certainly interesting, but I'm not sure how helpful it will be because I'm quite sure that Microsoft will have inhibited the ability to do anything very useful via the JTAG port on retail xbox ones.
Xbox One Dev/Debug Board
posted by stoker25 on Nov 14, 2017:
I've only ever seen the header+cable for that board on some pics I saw of an internal kit, no idea if normal devkits have the pins populated too. I've also only ever seen the board itself in a single pic, posted by an MS employee no less, I'm not much of a collector though so I couldn't really say how rare it is.
On the PC side you'd need software + drivers for it too, early prototype kits (Zebra kits) have an LCD display + USB-B on the mobo which I figured worked the same as this box, and earlyish SDKs contain the drivers for that USB-B (not sure if later SDKs also have it), so I always guessed those drivers should work for this box too.
For software the only thing I've seen that actually uses it is the xbrecovery.exe in early SDKs (which just copies recovery files to the NAND). It uses the dsmcdll.dll to communicate with it, which also looks like it can do a lot more though, I'd guess it's mostly meant for MS internal stuff.
I did manage to write a tool that can use it to dump the NAND (eg. so you can dump a Zebra NAND through the USB-B), only tested that with a friends Zebra though so no idea if it'd work with that board too. Never got around to releasing it since it needs that DLL from the SDK though.
The headers should be there on the final hardware, just probably not populated. You could attach some pins to hook it up but like TriMesh said it's probably locked out on anything not dev-activated.
awwsnapwet said:
So basically I would have to find someone online to sell me an Xbox One prototype console that has the jtag cable in/on it to do anything cool?
I've only ever seen the header+cable for that board on some pics I saw of an internal kit, no idea if normal devkits have the pins populated too. I've also only ever seen the board itself in a single pic, posted by an MS employee no less, I'm not much of a collector though so I couldn't really say how rare it is.
On the PC side you'd need software + drivers for it too, early prototype kits (Zebra kits) have an LCD display + USB-B on the mobo which I figured worked the same as this box, and earlyish SDKs contain the drivers for that USB-B (not sure if later SDKs also have it), so I always guessed those drivers should work for this box too.
For software the only thing I've seen that actually uses it is the xbrecovery.exe in early SDKs (which just copies recovery files to the NAND). It uses the dsmcdll.dll to communicate with it, which also looks like it can do a lot more though, I'd guess it's mostly meant for MS internal stuff.
I did manage to write a tool that can use it to dump the NAND (eg. so you can dump a Zebra NAND through the USB-B), only tested that with a friends Zebra though so no idea if it'd work with that board too. Never got around to releasing it since it needs that DLL from the SDK though.
Xbox One Dev/Debug Board
posted by TriMesh on Nov 15, 2017:
On the Xbox one I got (first week they were on sale), the pads were still there on the board, but the header wasn't installed - it also had pads for the cold and warm boot switches, but they weren't installed either. I think it's safe to assume that no retails have them, and probable that even the final spec devkits don'r, since the developers aren't supposed to open them.
stoker25 said:
The headers should be there on the final hardware, just probably not populated. You could attach some pins to hook it up but like TriMesh said it's probably locked out on anything not dev-activated.